Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210905 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #615 on: November 30, 2013, 12:24:07 pm »

Anyway, any opinions on the new research system.

The amount of tiers is reduced to 5, and in order to unlock new planes, people will have to unlock a certain amount of modifications for their planes. Meaning that you can no longer keep flying your favourite planes and still unlock the new planes*. You will have to actually fly each plane to unlock it's successor.

*Well, technically you can, as it still contributes nation XP which is also needed to unlock Planes. But now you need nation XP and Plane XP before you can get a new plane.

Advantages are that you can move faster up your chosen tier.

Also: Any planes unlocked but not bought will have to be researched again when the update comes along.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:28:27 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Tronak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 30, 2013, 12:59:55 pm »

Also: Any planes unlocked but not bought will have to be researched again when the update comes along.

Good to know. Bye bye silver lions  :'(

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 30, 2013, 04:28:01 pm »

- How the hell do I get people off my tail when their plane is more maneuverable than mine? Or am I just screwed no matter what?
- What control setup do you use for best access to the important controls (like looking around)?
- The game says it's possible to steer to some extent even with half of a wing gone. My attempts don't seem to do anything; I just sit there tilted to the side. I'd like to at least attempt a crash-landing, but it seems impossible once you've lost a wing.

Here's a bit more on these:

1. It depends on what you're flying and what they're flying. Japanese and British planes tend to be the best turn-fighters, while US planes tend to be the best energy fighters. The Russians are decent all-around and the Germans are mostly shit sort of like that as well. Basically, if you're in something that's an energy fighter (check the stats of your planes; high climb rate and maximum speed tend to indicate this), you'll want to either outclimb them or dive to build sufficient speed to escape. At the same time, you should maintain awareness of your heading, as quite often you can lead an enemy into an ambush if they tunnel on you. Conversely, if you're in a turn-fighter, you should be redlining your engine and making the tightest turns you can to get behind your enemy. If they're in a turnfighter as well, try to spiral towards friendly forces, but if they're an energy fighter you can quite often force them to break off.

As before, though, one thing you should always be doing when not otherwised occupied is gaining altitude. The game, especially outside of Arcade, is all about energy. Altitude is potential energy that you can convert into speed, and speed can be converted back into altitude. Every plane has a certain golden spot where they both gain altitude while also maintaining or slightly gaining speed.

2. I use mouse&keyboard, and here's the general setup I like: W & S control pitch, but I only use them to help with rapid maneuvers (but I'm pretty certain that you do turn faster with both a key and mouseaim than with mouseaim alone), and A & D are my roll. I have my throttle bound to my side buttons on my mouse, and freelook to C, while my bomb and rocket keys are Spacebar and V.

Incidentally, there's another super-important point for those of us without TrackIR: USE FREELOOK. FREELOOK IS THE GOD OF SITUATIONAL AWARENESS.

3. It's certainly possible, and easier in arcade, but it's never just plain easy. Usually you have to figure out what you need to do to compensate for the damage; one of the most common is damage to flaps, which necessitates a lot of screwy flying. I've landed one-winged planes multiple times, though (even if I flipped more than a few). Some aircraft can repair obscenely easily from the airfields, too; I've got a rather memorable picture saved:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 30, 2013, 05:12:16 pm »

1. If you're in a bomber or other resilient, slow flying plane. You can try to cut the throttle, deploy gear and flaps, thereby acquiring the aerodynamics of a brick. You'll lose speed rapidly, forcing the enemy to overshoot, where you should be able to get a hit on him. Fighters can use barrel rolls to shed speed in a similar maneuver. Note: This does often put you in a very dangerous location, and 9 times out of 10 the enemy will just smash into your tail.

2. Joystick is fun.

3. I had the same situation a few times to. I once managed to land a light bomber with everything but engine and ailerons in black, and non functional. (Well, there were no enemies around, and technically I did crash it as my brakes failed to stop me in time, and I just rolled of the runway and lost my wings between a pair of trees.)

Also the absurd situation where repairing a bomber with it's tail, and gear cut off, and both engines destroyed took less time to repair than a smaller bomber which merely had taken some wing damage from an enemy raid on the airport. (Was just taking off, and dodging the explosions on the runway didn't work out that well.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 30, 2013, 06:09:09 pm »

Actually, letting an enemy smash into your tail can work quite well for some bombers.

Also, random tip: Don't bother with Corsairs. They're slow, clunky, and their wings snap off if you look at them funny.

3. Run Resize Enable

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 30, 2013, 06:38:16 pm »

So I've started flying British planes now.
I have a few questions, like:
Which planes should I go for for the most manueverability?
How exactly should I be flying these planes?
And do I even know what I'm doing?
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 30, 2013, 06:41:57 pm »

The Spitfires are as good as their reputation serves them, which is good. Beaufighters are also excellent, being twin-engine attackers and therefore silly.
Nothing important here, move along.

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 01, 2013, 12:54:07 am »

With the brits, it will be a tedious grind to level 7 (the only decent plane seems the spitfire mk1, mk2 series are kind of the worse plane, both in the game and in real history). That is when you get, in theory, your first BnZ plane, namely the Typhoon. Judging by its stats this thing is a wonder weapon, superb climb rate, decent everything else and it's not a lot different from the next one you get at level 13 so you could say you are flying a level 13 plane at level 7 :P After that you will get very good climb rate spitfires and then the tables will be turned on germans and russians. Again in theory. The point being that a good pilot with a clear altitude advantage, fighting similar performance planes, will win :D But you know, team factor, map factor and other factors will ruin your day.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 01, 2013, 12:55:49 am »

Don't trust the written stats. They'd have you believe that japanese planes are bad at turning for example.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 01, 2013, 01:14:44 am »

That is why i used a lot of in theory. What i can say so far for brits is that Spitfire mkI is a really good climber and decent turner if needed and mkIIa and b not so much. Waiting to hit level 7 and get the Typhoon but again from my observations at least, they were always the highest guys so that's another stat nailed :D

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 01, 2013, 02:20:56 am »

The Brits? All the goddamn spitfires and especially the Beaufighters are amazing planes. By no means is the grind tedious.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 01, 2013, 02:37:35 am »

Except for the fact that you're always up against Germans, and German pilots are all naturally aces because they have to fly the shittiest planes in all of creations for their grind up.
Nothing important here, move along.

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 01, 2013, 11:17:37 am »

Now it depends if we talk about historical battles or arcade mode. Something about the "By no means is the grind tedious." makes me think you fly arcade.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 01, 2013, 11:47:22 am »

Personally I'd recommend flying arcade until you hit the sweet spots for the different nations. There's no sense in prolonging your stay with shitty aircraft just for the sake of snobbery. Also, be aware that if you fly the Typhoon in arcade, you will be severely disappointed. A bank of 7.7mms is good enough in HB/FRB, but in arcade you might as well be pelting the enemy with rice.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 01, 2013, 12:44:16 pm »

I am so tired of people shooting me down before I even had a chance to bomb even a single surface unit..  :-\
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 01:33:04 pm by Ultimuh »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 163