Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210912 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #600 on: November 28, 2013, 01:41:56 pm »

Just installed this yesterday. I have several newb questions:

- Do all specified landing areas repair you if you land at them, or just special airstrips with a base 'n' stuff?
- How the hell do I get people off my tail when their plane is more maneuverable than mine? Or am I just screwed no matter what?
- What control setup do you use for best access to the important controls (like looking around)?
- What's the difference between accuracy and precision?
- The game says it's possible to steer to some extent even with half of a wing gone. My attempts don't seem to do anything; I just sit there tilted to the side. I'd like to at least attempt a crash-landing, but it seems impossible once you've lost a wing.
- How do you switch to the more difficult control schemes? I feel like I would have more control if I could use those, and I'm accustomed to IL-2 Sturmovik simulation maneuvering anyway.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer all of these, but if you don't feel like doing all that work, it'd be nice if you just answered the bolded one.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #601 on: November 28, 2013, 01:52:58 pm »

I have a TrackIR so I just use that for looking around. Otherwise you might be stuck with joystick hatswitches, or numpad?

I think anything that has an airfield will repair you. I haven't been repaired in forever though, people seem to destroy me first :\

For arcade, mouse-aim is definitely the best. It gives you a precision joystick does not. If you're planning on doing Realistic, then you need a joystick.

Getting someone off your tail is notoriously difficult. If he is more manoeuvrable, you might have the speed advantage. In that case I'd suggest diving away and doing relatively small movements and try to survive while you put distance between you and them. Try to head towards where there's friendlies, though I've found most people have far too much tunnel vision to actual spot you're in trouble and help you.

If you're not fast enough, then perhaps you are better at rolling or at pulling back on the stick. Use A and D from WASD to force a roll without using the mouse. Very quickly rolling one way then another can give you an edge.

If he is REALLY close, try making him overshoot you. Climb, and drop gear and flaps. Hopefully that gives you a shot or some time to rethink.

Make sure to apply to the B12 squadron! :)

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 28, 2013, 01:57:53 pm »

-Do all specified landing areas repair you if you land at them, or just special airstrips with a base 'n' stuff?
Any airstrip under your teams control will repair you, even if it has no HUD marker on it.
- How the hell do I get people off my tail when their plane is more maneuverable than mine? Or am I just screwed no matter what?
Most of this depends on the dificulty, in arcade you are probably fucked, in harder modes you can use a number of tactics to lose them, all of them depends on what you are flying and what (if any) are your aircrafts strong points against the enemy.
- What control setup do you use for best access to the important controls (like looking around)?
Controls are always a matter of preference, i use right mouse as the "chase enemy" camera, and C as the free look key and that seems to work ok.
- What's the difference between accuracy and precision?
I have no idea what you are talking about, but i would asume they are the same.
- The game says it's possible to steer to some extent even with half of a wing gone. My attempts don't seem to do anything; I just sit there tilted to the side. I'd like to at least attempt a crash-landing, but it seems impossible once you've lost a wing.
Again this is dependant on game mode, and situation, some planes can fly with some parts of their wings mising. there are too many "somes" in that sentence, dont expect it to be a common occurrence. (it will never happen in arcade probably)
- How do you switch to the more difficult control schemes? I feel like I would have more control if I could use those, and I'm accustomed to IL-2 Sturmovik simulation maneuvering anyway.
There are 3 dificultys, Arcade, Historical and Full real battles, If you say you played Il2 then you should leave arcade as fast as posible. Historical is a mix between arcade and full real battles, the good thing about it is you can fly without a joystick. Full real is basically Il2, you need a joystick to fly.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 28, 2013, 02:24:07 pm »

Thanks for the rapid answers! They're going to help a lot, I feel. I'll probably be switching over to realistic mode as soon as possible.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 28, 2013, 03:26:11 pm »

The one thing I don't like about Historical is that it takes much longer to join a game.

Anyway, for accuracy and precision, I expect you mean the gunner's skill levels? Accuracy mean being good at shooting at a plane, and precision reduce spray.

A high accuracy, low-precision gunner will shoot a wide cone of bullets centered right on the enemy plane. A high-precision, low-accuracy will shoot a deadly focused beam of bullets right where the target is not.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 28, 2013, 03:51:25 pm »

Remember gunner skills are worthless on single seat fighters, that reload speed and such are only usefull on arcade (mostly).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 28, 2013, 05:13:04 pm »

But they're soooooo worth it in arcade. That and wepon maintenance. Seriously, most guns jams as soon as you look at their triggers.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 28, 2013, 05:17:43 pm »

Reload speed might be the most usefull skill in arcade, weapon maint? i think i dont have a single skill in that and weapon jamming is a non-issue.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 28, 2013, 05:27:12 pm »

My guns jams all the time, or rather I has to spend a lot of time letting them cool down. (Only learned recently than the red around your crosshair was a cooldown meter.)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 28, 2013, 07:51:25 pm »

It's dependent on the guns, and the mode. Arcade is silly with what it lets you get away with, in other modes guns tend to heat up pretty quickly.

Also, weapon maintenance makes guns very slightly more accurate, which is useful.
Nothing important here, move along.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 29, 2013, 11:56:19 am »

It's so terrible when you fight against people who are really good but using a low-level account. Two people got 23 kills between themselves and totally obliterated our team.
....that might have been me. >_>

You usually see vets flying low-tier stuff for one of three reasons:

1. Events. Yesterday's is a good example. "Get 30 air kills in Soviet piston-engine fighters." I started trying this in my Yak-9s and La-5s and then realized, "Wait! I can just load up my Chaikas and my I-16 and have this thing over with in a heartbeat!"

2. Grinding for skins/decals. Took a good long while to unlock the "Shmert fashistii" decal (bunch of kills in an I-16 Ishak), but it was fun to do.

3. Stress relief. When I just can't seem to buy a win at the higher tiers, I'll load up my Soviet biplanes and go to town just to feel like I'm not a terribad pilot.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 30, 2013, 04:52:32 am »

I've been playing this game for a while, one thing that keeps me coming back to it is those awesome moments made possible by the advanced damage model of the War Thunder. Recently I had the most badass base caps with one of the shittiest planes, securing the match. I had to record the replay and upload it to immortalize the little dive bomber that could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wquXXSqYOOA
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:09:08 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #612 on: November 30, 2013, 05:02:59 am »

It's so terrible when you fight against people who are really good but using a low-level account. Two people got 23 kills between themselves and totally obliterated our team.
....that might have been me. >_>

You usually see vets flying low-tier stuff for one of three reasons:

1. Events. Yesterday's is a good example. "Get 30 air kills in Soviet piston-engine fighters." I started trying this in my Yak-9s and La-5s and then realized, "Wait! I can just load up my Chaikas and my I-16 and have this thing over with in a heartbeat!"

2. Grinding for skins/decals. Took a good long while to unlock the "Shmert fashistii" decal (bunch of kills in an I-16 Ishak), but it was fun to do.

3. Stress relief. When I just can't seem to buy a win at the higher tiers, I'll load up my Soviet biplanes and go to town just to feel like I'm not a terribad pilot.

It didn't help that they were going like "noobs keep head-oning" and something about Arcade mode being so stupid (even though they were playing it).

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 30, 2013, 06:30:15 am »

I bought a mouse and then suddenly my kill count quadrupled. Heh.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 30, 2013, 09:13:14 am »

I've been playing this game for a while, one thing that keeps me coming back to it is those awesome moments made possible by the advanced damage model of the War Thunder. Recently I had the most badass base caps with one of the shittiest planes, securing the match. I had to record the replay and upload it to immortalize the little dive bomber that could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wquXXSqYOOA

A one wheel cap is pretty cool, unfortunately the most badass cap I've ever seen happened when someone slid an H6K in on its belly onto our airstrip. The game had been really close and was nearing the end, but we thought we had it wrapped up pretty safely with both airstrips ours. Within seconds of each other we lost both of them again, and an H6K slid to a stop on the only one anyone else was near. No way it was going to take off again, but despite just sitting there like a log, it got a couple of kills with its turrets and survived the entire time until their team won. I'm not sure exactly how long it sat there, but it was long enough that I managed to make three seperate strafing passes on it with my chaika and had to reload once. And there were at least two other planes on my team doing the same. Those things are so durable.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 163