Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210956 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #555 on: November 25, 2013, 06:33:08 am »

Me and a friend play a bunch of War Thunder, we should get together.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #556 on: November 25, 2013, 11:17:35 am »

There's a Bay12 squadron, if you join that I'm sure you can find other people online. It's all about achieving that critical mass ;)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 25, 2013, 11:26:04 am »

There's a Bay12 squadron, if you join that I'm sure you can find other people online. It's all about achieving that critical mass ;)
What's it's name?
I keep searching for Bay12 But there seem to be no squadron by that name..

edit: You know what.. I found it.. Feeling dumb now..

edit:
Something just occurred to me.. one of the menu musics is the theme to the Mr. Bean series!
Or at least VERY similar to it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:47:31 am by Ultimuh »

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 25, 2013, 11:38:49 am »

I also replaced my Bf 110 derpplane by a Do 217 J-1, which seems much better.

Also instead of a Stuka I now have a Ju 88 A 4, which seems nice. Fast, also. I still don't like these 50kg bombs, simply not worth it.

Do 217s are great, i like them a lot probably my favourite german bombers beside the Ju88 that is also great, stukas and He111s are way too slow and speed is of vital importance.
Also, 50kg bombs are the best for taking out anything but ships/airfields basically, a single 50kg bomb will destroy any plane, tank or building in one hit.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 25, 2013, 05:53:52 pm »

I also replaced my Bf 110 derpplane by a Do 217 J-1, which seems much better.

Also instead of a Stuka I now have a Ju 88 A 4, which seems nice. Fast, also. I still don't like these 50kg bombs, simply not worth it.

Do 217s are great, i like them a lot probably my favourite german bombers beside the Ju88 that is also great, stukas and He111s are way too slow and speed is of vital importance.
Also, 50kg bombs are the best for taking out anything but ships/airfields basically, a single 50kg bomb will destroy any plane, tank or building in one hit.
Not true of pillboxes. Light pillboxes maybe with a direct hit, but regular old "Pillbox" ones take at least a 100kg and usually that just damages it. Best results are with a 250kg.

Or you can be like me and fly a Welly with a 4000kg, where as long as you get it in the same zip code, you're all good.  :P
Love dropping a 4K on domination maps once the enemy ground forces have clumped up stationary on the airfield. Instant x10 ground streak.

As far as the weekend achievement, I LOL'd and said "Well, guess I'm only getting half the chances today" because I'm not a masochist. Got the I-15/Russian achievements pretty readily, much of it from killing poor Ki-10s. Suppose I could have gotten the Japanese achievement by just flying Ki-45s over and over but that wasn't my idea of a fun night.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 25, 2013, 06:20:00 pm »

Ah, the good ol' carrier buster. I love how it doesn't even pretend to be aerodynamic.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 25, 2013, 06:34:38 pm »

I guess I am a masochist, because I ground my way through both the Russians and the Japanese over the weekend. Like you said, the Russians weren't too bad, but that Ki-10 is a odd little duck. I hated it, started to like it, figured out how to work it as best as my skill allows, and by the next to last game I had in it it wasn't all that bad. Last game I nearly chucked my mouse through the wall though. Assist after assist after assist combined with ridiculous amounts of crits against me I felt like I wasn't going to get anything out of it, and all I needed was one last kill for 40. I did finally get one kill out of the entire game, but it was on my last plane, and I never thought it would come.  After that it was pretty simple to take some of the tier 2 and 3 planes out for a few kills to finish up the last 10 for the other achievement.

Today's achievement though, forget that. It's not so much that bombers are hard to kill(Ki-45 excels at it.) It's just that bombers are nowhere to be found, and it doesn't even count everything that should be counted as a bomber. (Where's my credit for A-20 kills? What about the S.79?)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 26, 2013, 02:31:54 am »

So much troll planes in level 6-7 battles.

Just reached level 6, and then half of my bombers lose a wing or the whole tail in one shot. Hell, I got killed in one shot 3 times already, first was a Stuka.

Damn these japanese heavy fighters, I think it was a Ki-45 with a 37mm gun or something. Hope I'm not gonna get killed that much in that looong grind for level 7 german planes.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:35:12 am by Naryar »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 26, 2013, 08:26:46 am »

Yeah... P-39/63 Yak-9T/K, KI-45, and certain Stukas... Learn to respect these planes, learn their advantages, their disadvantages, pay attention to them and NEVER LET THEM ON YOUR TAIL. Odds are, if you let them get good positioning on you, they won't need more than one shot.

None of them are all that maneuverable, but they're all great at hunting bombers. There's a good reason why you don't see all that many heavy bombers playing. As a heavy bomber, the only real counter for these sorts of planes is fighter cover to keep them distracted from you. But good luck ever getting that in a normal game.

Bf-109s around those tiers start getting really dangerous as well. Only 20mm cannons, but they can mount 2-3 of them and they basically have the best climb rate in the game outside of jets. You will ALWAYS see 109s up high either attacking bombers or in good position to boom and zoom planes below.

Bombers tend to be screwed, and the only thing I can sort of suggest is start practicing taking control of your turret gunners early, learn where and how you have to aim to hit enemies out past the point where you have an aiming circle. 1km is easily doable, I've heard stories of people getting hit out beyond 2km. Personally I can't really do much outside of 1.5km, but it does make them waste energy dodging your shots, which gives you more time in the air, more time for the hope of allied fighters, and more of your own shots travelling in their direction which might get a lucky engine or pilot hit. Otherwise sometimes your only hope is to find the nearest group of allied fighters and dive/run towards them.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #564 on: November 26, 2013, 08:45:06 am »

Maybe I"ll drop in and play just one game...

edit: oh noes what country to choose
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:08:44 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 26, 2013, 09:19:15 am »

Russia, almost certainly Russia. Even if you have no particular love for their planes, use them to learn the ropes, then you can switch to other countries later on. Low tier Russian planes are basically easy mode up until about tier 5 when things start evening out more.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #566 on: November 26, 2013, 09:19:41 am »

Darnit, I already picked Germany.

Also, what's our squad name?

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 26, 2013, 09:25:01 am »

Truly, it doesn't matter that much. I mean, IIRC you only 9 games* to unlock all other nations.

*Victories??

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #568 on: November 26, 2013, 09:27:21 am »

=B12=, I believe, but just search for Bay 12, B12, and variants. I'm sure you'll get there.

I actually started playing this a bit again yesterday. Had good fun, might be doing this more regularly from now on, evenings EST :) Hope to see some of you there!

Does anyone regularly do full real? I think I've got enough kit here to do some of that. Also, does it give more experience?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #569 on: November 26, 2013, 09:34:29 am »

So... I killed four people and died three times. My first game is over :o I can't tell what kind of tactics to use to not die like that XD

Plus, I apparently only have three lives :c

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 163