Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Do you still play Civilization 4? Then get Caveman 2 Cosmos! (huge overhaul mod)  (Read 35196 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

I'd like it more if I could play it without the turns taking 5+ minutes by the time I get to having pikemen.

I don't know how did they become 5+ minutes, unless you specifically set limited units per tile and AI chokes on that, as it once did for me. Also, there is an option to accelerate AI turns at the cost of the graphics during them. (For the record, I got to Riflemen right now).

If it's about YOUR turn taking long, you either need to automatize some units or know what are you looking for in your buildings.
My computer isn't that powerful. It was in 2008, but now it's fairly behind times, and having too many AIs results in turns taking ages.

Also, the fact I have to play on settler because someone always becomes HUGE doesn't help me enjoy it.
I'd like to play on warlord, but it seems to be that anything other than settler results in a few underpowered empires, and one really, REALLY overpowered one.

I played on Warlord, and it turned out quite interesting: there is a big damn Khmer civ, with 3 civs war-vassalized, that together with the vassals spans most of Asia, quite big Inuit civ holding whole of South America, and second-largest, China with North America, and Russia vassalized voluntarily by me in Europe, with me controlling Africa and Asia Minor and part of Peloponnesian Peninsula, not massive city-count wise, but the most technologically advanced. And Khmers and China decided to go to war. Good thing there are no nukes.

So, basically, Civ IV meets Risk.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wanted to try it for the hell of it (as much as I support Civ4 over Civ5, at least until Civ5 opens modding up to the extent of Civ4 - something I'm growing more doubtful of every day), after clicking through a bazillion links to try to download the damn thing, I finally get to gamefront and see, in grey-text-on-white-background, that the file is currently unavailable.

Having my agency foiled and my time squandered, I think I will opt not to try that again.

Goobly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like it more if I could play it without the turns taking 5+ minutes by the time I get to having pikemen.

I don't know how did they become 5+ minutes, unless you specifically set limited units per tile and AI chokes on that, as it once did for me. Also, there is an option to accelerate AI turns at the cost of the graphics during them. (For the record, I got to Riflemen right now).

If it's about YOUR turn taking long, you either need to automatize some units or know what are you looking for in your buildings.
My computer isn't that powerful. It was in 2008, but now it's fairly behind times, and having too many AIs results in turns taking ages.

Also, the fact I have to play on settler because someone always becomes HUGE doesn't help me enjoy it.
I'd like to play on warlord, but it seems to be that anything other than settler results in a few underpowered empires, and one really, REALLY overpowered one.

I play on Prince and do good. You probably just need some practice, that's all.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

It's not so much practice as the fact that if I have two continents, one gets dominated (mostly by Gilgamesh, I've noticed).

Try war by proxy, perhaps, enable advanced diplomacy and send the countries near the expansionistic ones military units or techs. This will also make them better disposed towards you, and if you sell the units, get you some sweet cash.

Also, an important note about military in general: once you get to gunpowder artillery (falconets, organ guns, ribauldequins and so on), spam the shit out of those. In my african game, mentioned earlier in the thread, I struggled to take the Malgasy city in Turkey for quite a lot of time, because my military would ALWAYS get devastated quickly by their troops. I spammed ribauldequins and some cannons, with a couple of Musketmen for support and managed to take it eventually.

Also, from other news, if you built a hunter unit early and gave it the Hunter promotion, they can become redunkulously powerful (one of mine has level 30, with Combat V, March, and a number of other promotions, and is able (as a Big Game Hunter) to take on Arquebusiers and end up unharmed.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not so much practice as the fact that if I have two continents, one gets dominated (mostly by Gilgamesh, I've noticed).

Try war by proxy, perhaps, enable advanced diplomacy and send the countries near the expansionistic ones military units or techs. This will also make them better disposed towards you, and if you sell the units, get you some sweet cash.

Also, an important note about military in general: once you get to gunpowder artillery (falconets, organ guns, ribauldequins and so on), spam the shit out of those. In my african game, mentioned earlier in the thread, I struggled to take the Malgasy city in Turkey for quite a lot of time, because my military would ALWAYS get devastated quickly by their troops. I spammed ribauldequins and some cannons, with a couple of Musketmen for support and managed to take it eventually.

Also, from other news, if you built a hunter unit early and gave it the Hunter promotion, they can become redunkulously powerful (one of mine has level 30, with Combat V, March, and a number of other promotions, and is able (as a Big Game Hunter) to take on Arquebusiers and end up unharmed.
Suicide catapult is a viable strat at every stage, or at least through to early industrial which is the furthest I've gotten.  There seems to be a cheap siege that you can use for collateral damage everywhere although I think more accurate ones and range bombard may be better on hammers on long term.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Suicide catapult is a viable strat at every stage, or at least through to early industrial which is the furthest I've gotten.  There seems to be a cheap siege that you can use for collateral damage everywhere although I think more accurate ones and range bombard may be better on hammers on long term.

Suicide? What do you mean, suicide? I've gotten away with hardly any casualties. Although this may be because I used my Riflemen/Redcoats/Jaegers/Wotsername african special unit to take out cavalry.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In BtS, catapults are pretty cheap on hammers and can do a disproportionate amount of damage through collateral damage.  Build a primary assault force and then send in catapults to their deaths do deal collateral damage to the top defenders of the stack.  Finish up with your stack for favorable odds.  Since they cost the same amount of hammers as a longbow (your typical top defender) you can out ahead on hammers spent.  If you are taking them against stacks of macemen (70 hammers) you most certainly are coming out ahead in hammers spent.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When you hit the industrial age in BtS, the suicide siege weapon tactic isn't as effective against a well protected city due to machine guns unique capability of not taking collateral damage from siege units. In fact its a common reason why in a game vs AI I tend to keep my machine gun units that I upgraded from older units around (if you upgrade them from the right units you can have promotions that freshly built machine guns do not get, mainly of great importance, City Garrison), although its nothing more suicide siege can't fix.

Also trying out Monarch difficulty on C2C, I've found it difficult to balance my serious crime issues and my financial issues without increasing my tax rate to beyond 75%, it does not help that I'm fighting a statistically stronger enemy who is beginning to out-tech me, but I have to as that enemy seems very focused on engulfing the area around me with a massive amount of cities to completely kill my own expansion.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try to avoid building crime producing buildings in all but 1 or two cities (thieves den, smuggler's shanty, etc).  Make sure that no criminal units are in your lands creating more crime (that includes yours).  The dog series of units are the perfect counter to enemy ones.   Also highly promoted guard series units help a lot for high population cities that are suffering high crime.  Sure you gotta pay upkeep on those guards, but it's cheaper than the gold lost to crime.  I play on monarch and I can usually keep the slider at 100% as long as I keep crime under control.

Also in BtS, around when machine guns come online, you'll start to see airships who can air bomb your machine guns down.  Sid giveth and Sid takeths away.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Hmm, could anyone tell me what changes the latest version has from r27? I read some things that concern me on the forum of C2C, and I don't know whether to update or not.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't played CIV in a long while but I really should check this out. Been to long since I played a good empire builder since I didn't much like CiV.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I survive long enough, I'm gonna try and get severe pollution (for global warming)) and have a desert world. I've been using GEM (it is a real Earth map), so it will be cool to end up with a desert Earth. It will be a hard game though, cause some desert causes terrain damage and there probably won't be water or much else left. It will take a long time to get to that point though, probably be far down the research line. Will be an epic map though...all desert :D I would even share that save if anyone wanted it. I'm imagining something almost like Dune or Mars :P

I'm close to or at turn 900...maybe a tad past it. I started as the Aztecs, but sorta peaceful (I'm mostly defense, but do attack), science based with Asian influenced religion. But I have tons of religions researched :P To be honest, if you get the science trait...it is really overpowered, lol. At least in the beginning. My research goes really fast compared to everyone else, and I can pretty much beat the AI (started on Noble) on any research.

But, man...my game is very hard starting out. I removed the Apache and Sioux in the beginning from the game, so all that is left is me (Aztecs)...Incas, Tupi I believe, and Iroquois.  Incas haven't done much, nor have Tupi. But, man...Iroquois...I was owning at first...but...

If I didn't have bear riders, bison riders and trained Rhinos, they would be owning me right now. They have 10 cities (that I can see), compared to my 8 (and I even took 2 of theirs). They have massive production and food compared to what I have, and a very powerful army. I was on the offense against them. But my cities were decaying due to me focused too much on troops and was losing out on production, gold and food. They pretty much attack every 5-10 turns, but since I've gone on the defensive...I've pretty much held them back. But one mistake or a round of bad luck will easily change the war. It is about even right now, and it could go either way...but due to the Iroquois having massive food and production, they are getting slightly ahead every turn. I can still turn it around, I just have to heavily focus on building up my cities.

It didn't help a huge army of barbarians showed up near my capital city :P And a turn later, a bunch of Barbarian archers appeared out of my newly conquered city. That was pretty much when I went to go on the defense instead.

Pretty much my most epic game I've ever had in Civilization 4 (or 5)...never had a war like this before in Civ. I think if it wasn't for my animal warriors and all my wonders I build (I build a wonder every chance I get :P), I wouldn't be able to keep up. Plus my science. And I do have special units, cause I've built culture (wonders) in some of my cities, that let me train unique units from other cultures. Even with all that, Iroquois are scary.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:01:39 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try to avoid building crime producing buildings in all but 1 or two cities (thieves den, smuggler's shanty, etc).  Make sure that no criminal units are in your lands creating more crime (that includes yours).  The dog series of units are the perfect counter to enemy ones.   Also highly promoted guard series units help a lot for high population cities that are suffering high crime.  Sure you gotta pay upkeep on those guards, but it's cheaper than the gold lost to crime.  I play on monarch and I can usually keep the slider at 100% as long as I keep crime under control.

Also in BtS, around when machine guns come online, you'll start to see airships who can air bomb your machine guns down.  Sid giveth and Sid takeths away.

Airships are also rather poor at air bombing. But point taken

My game has shaped up to be most interesting. I've stabilized my finances but have been drawn into a a long war to try and stop my growing empire from being surrounded by a hyper-expansionist empire. I still suffer problematic crime and am basically at war with nearly every empire I know as well as dealing with a barbarian problem. I'm still slowly being out-teched and fighting a war on three fronts. A naval conflict out in the massive inland sea to the north that acts as somewhat of a barrier that stops straight major unit movement, which at the moment I'm losing due to my enemies naval superiority technology, a land war on my eastern flank where ruins of several cities are. There I'm pushing them back and my western flank which intermittently becomes a battlefield where they seek with another empires help to slow my slowly advance into the western coast. While military wise I'm somewhat lacking, I've managed to slowly push them back. Bear riders have been my ace in the hole as well as a few experienced light swordsmen and impi (after I built Culture(Zulu)). Yet to open up technology for any proper siege units thro.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm playing an epic(slowest?) game, focusing on research and just reached the classic age techs. 350-500+ per turn depending on how many cities works on research. Does anyone have any recommendations or tips on increasing the output even more?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Caveman to Cosmos is all about getting an early advantage.

It is more then possible to have an unbeatable lead in the Caveman era.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4