Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1596 1597 [1598] 1599 1600 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2128469 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #23955 on: April 06, 2016, 11:07:55 am »

But Resomi have an IC way to communicate aflap.

Anyway my point was that they are not just oxyvox.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #23956 on: April 06, 2016, 11:20:30 am »

an IC way to communicate aflap.
Owl costume.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23957 on: April 06, 2016, 02:24:50 pm »

Polaris cellphones when? I want to prank call the station.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23958 on: April 07, 2016, 06:54:01 am »

One thing I intend to happen with my map is a redefinition of the ERT.
The ERT exists, but have no way of getting to the base in a timely manner.

Instead of a shiny 'call ERT button' there will be an SOS button that will broadcast a mayday message on all channels.
If this button gets pressed, the chances are that the station will receive visitors. What exactly those visitors are is entirely up to admin discretion (as well as the players that spawn as it). Whether they are pirates homing in on an SOS call or merchants heading to help a vessel requesting help is up to the mins and the group of players. The players will spawn in a ship with adminwalls separating a 'goodguy' loadout and a 'badguy' loadout. The mins will give access to one of these loadouts and also any other gear they may need. There is also a syndie (merc) uplink in each loadout and the players are free to ask a min for custom gear, like the knight .45 tactical and/or rename gear.

So if you call for help when it's not needed, the mins are encouraged to shit on you and give you a legitimate reason to call for help. Of course, if a tator gets his hands on a way to activate this button (captain-level ID access) and calls an SOS he can fluff it as though he was the forward scout for an agency/pirate network and a min could spawn him in gear to communicate with the response team.

Nothing concrete yet, but that's the general premise.
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23959 on: April 07, 2016, 09:22:12 am »

Humans can aflap. Don't question it.
flap arms, pretend to bird
Black lives matter.

Liction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23960 on: April 07, 2016, 03:52:02 pm »

Instead of a shiny 'call ERT button' there will be an SOS button that will broadcast a mayday message on all channels.
If this button gets pressed, the chances are that the station will receive visitors. What exactly those visitors are is entirely up to admin discretion (as well as the players that spawn as it). Whether they are pirates homing in on an SOS call or merchants heading to help a vessel requesting help is up to the mins and the group of players. The players will spawn in a ship with adminwalls separating a 'goodguy' loadout and a 'badguy' loadout. The mins will give access to one of these loadouts and also any other gear they may need. There is also a syndie (merc) uplink in each loadout and the players are free to ask a min for custom gear, like the knight .45 tactical and/or rename gear.

Not sure if there should be admin intervention for something like this as admins cant be on all the time to do this sort of thing. Perhaps instead there should be a list of possible things that can be called and chosen at random, from regular ERT, Russian mercenaries, syndies or even xenos. It would require bit of mapping and programming to do either suggestion though.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #23961 on: April 07, 2016, 05:13:04 pm »

Maybe either/or? An 'admin discretion' room and a general list of stuff if none are on. Maybe have it pop up an admin-only selection box (or a request for one in chat to prevent conflicts), and if it isn't answered in, say, 30 seconds a default SOS will occur.

It could definitely work either way, though, and make "call ERT" less of a get-out-of-trouble-free card.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23962 on: April 07, 2016, 05:23:52 pm »

Maybe either/or? An 'admin discretion' room and a general list of stuff if none are on. Maybe have it pop up an admin-only selection box (or a request for one in chat to prevent conflicts), and if it isn't answered in, say, 30 seconds a default SOS will occur.

It could definitely work either way, though, and make "call ERT" less of a get-out-of-trouble-free card.
If someone wants to code this, I'll happily adapt my map for this.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23963 on: April 07, 2016, 07:48:12 pm »

I'd love to, but unfortunately, I'm swamped right now. Once I'm free(-er), I'll probably try to get Goonchem ported again, at which point I could try to work on this if nobody else has.
w
Relevant question, by the way--Glloyd, with the leak of Gooncode, what're your thoughts for making similar secret chems? Now that they're available in the source code anyways, I'm a little leery about their continued use, but...

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23964 on: April 07, 2016, 07:51:39 pm »

I'd love to, but unfortunately, I'm swamped right now. Once I'm free(-er), I'll probably try to get Goonchem ported again, at which point I could try to work on this if nobody else has.
w
Relevant question, by the way--Glloyd, with the leak of Gooncode, what're your thoughts for making similar secret chems? Now that they're available in the source code anyways, I'm a little leery about their continued use, but...

Gooncode was publicly released by goonstation, so go nuts.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23965 on: April 07, 2016, 08:35:17 pm »

w

Gooncode was publicly released by goonstation, so go nuts.
It's not so much their legal or moral status, as much as their balance. It incentives code diving, after all, which is...unfortunate, in a roleplay-based server. It also presents an issue of newer players being locked out of part of chemistry. I'm not certain if it'd be worth those costs or not, which I'll leave to you.

EDIT: Of course, I could also try to obfuscate them in the code, at the risk of severely annoying anyone trying to add/fix/change secret chems :P

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #23966 on: April 08, 2016, 05:12:15 am »

Goonstation's chemistry's design being what it is is largely intended to hide the secrets so that people have to experiment.

The simplest, if crude, way is going the way /vg/ did and making a secret repo that is not publicly visible.

The trickier way is randomizing high-end recipes, and even trickier is making that persistent for, say, a week. The former is definitely doable, there's even some abandoned BS12 code for that, the latter I think is doable using the database.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23967 on: April 08, 2016, 05:56:13 am »

Goon asside, many servers and shity admins (i know redudant) will ban you from chemistry for blowing up chemistry with trying stuff out.

Liction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23968 on: April 08, 2016, 06:13:09 am »

Im not a huge fan of there being more RNG added to the game as it then turns into a repetitive time sink to figure out what does what over and over again.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23969 on: April 08, 2016, 07:16:03 am »

i am vehemently against making chemistry more """""fun""""" by adding secret recipes (it's not fun). it encourages secret cool kids club bullshit and is just a terrible way to hide the problems with chemistry in general. if the only way your mechanic can be fun is by obfuscating it, it's bad, so don't make it.

For those who suggest code-diving is immersion-breaking, this is literally meta-knowledge encouraged by the game. That isn't immersion-breaking?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 07:22:39 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1596 1597 [1598] 1599 1600 ... 1654