Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1525 1526 [1527] 1528 1529 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2118398 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #22890 on: August 19, 2015, 05:24:05 pm »

And remember: If you want to make friends quickly, read Woody's Got Wood out over the radio.
You'll be covered in hugs in no time :)
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #22891 on: August 19, 2015, 05:25:35 pm »

I don't have much to say about this besides the fact that we're currently discussing this server AFAIK, soo... Yeah. This server doesn't really have many 'heavy rp' rules. We don't require people to even RP professionally. Just enough to seem like they're not a computer game.
Dunno, I was more of discussing the whole state of SS13 servers.
Yes. I believe that to be true. They would know not to blow the station up, however I don't really think everyone has an in depth understanding of how things work. They may know not to push the red button but they surely don't know how to fix it if someone does push the button. It's a case by case thing tbh. An engineer will know how to work the engines. They may also know how to cook and such. However, a security guard, 95 percent of the time, won't know how to turn on a supermatter engine without dying horribly.
Well, considering that establishing the engine is simple enough for players to do it, it should be simple enough to anyone who ever read a manual on it to do it. You could of course argue that it's simplified enough to not be annoying, but still, in the current state it's pretty much still LEGO. Unless something changed, haven't checked how you do it (supermatter engines? Eh, I've been around when they came up but I actually ever set up only the Singularity).
The crew knows nothing about these nuke ops until they reveal themselves and state it. Usually the nuke ops doesn't have an accurate estimate of who they are. There very well may be a full security when the nuke ops go in, but they don't know that because they normally don't have crew manifests. It all depends on what this skeleton crew contains and if they're even willing to just surrender. It's entirely possible to delay the team through stalling, hiding the disk, or trying to have a last stand after breaking into security. Again, it's all up to the crew.
The round I'm talking about was pretty much that the Nuke Ops hit and crew surrendered because they had like one person in security (Detective, IIRC) and generally there was around 15 people on the station. They could take Nuke Ops if they powergamed a bit, but they still choose to surrender and there were negotiations between Syndie leader and Captain (!). They agreed to that they aren't totally inclined in dying for Nanotrasen and that the crew will leave on shuttle and let the Nuke Ops blow the station while the shuttle flies to Centcomm. Before you ask, no, it wasn't an Admin event (!!), noone complained (!!!) and it happened on Badger or maybe even Basil sometime ago (!!!!).
This is what I want to find. A server that is RP enough for RP to happen from time to time and not too RP so noone bans people for non-RP (as long as it doesn't break the light "immulshions", so no OOCkly ICkly or whatever).

Also, I think objectiveless syndicate operatives are much better than just nuke ops. It doesn't force them to kill people. They could easily be trying to kidnap someone and get some mad cash for them. It's all a matter of how the people playing them feel.
I've always considered that objectiveless antagonists are better than the ones with objectives and instead just having a some system of awards, but considering that a lot of people would just murderbone, it's proably not a good idea.

I'm not saying 'dont kill people please.' I'm saying, try to make things fun. I don't think that I can please everyone in a round of SS13. What I think is that I can try to make the experience of SS13 enjoyable to them. I want people to think, when they die. 'Wow that was awesome. I sure had fun' more than 'What the hell, man. Cheap.'
If your character doesn't have "all-knowledge", you're basically limited in your options to kill people in creative ways. I can still think of a lot of them tho (though most of them toe the line), so that's proably not that big problem, after all.
I'd prefer someone to have a long discussion, begging their killer to stop then to have someone mercilessly stab them to death. While the latter can happen, both IRL and in game, I personally think a normal person who has been blackmailed into doing something such as kill someone, I think they'd be willing to give mercy should they be convinced.
Possibly. That would require a very specific set of players tho, as pretty much whole /tg/ would just go revenging on the guy, and I have no evidence it's not a thing in other places. Valid-hunting is strong in this one.

You have no goddamn idea how annoying it is when Nuke Ops have fifteen hundred hostages under the barrel of their automatics when a random greyshirt with no business being there, zero regard for their own safety or, more crucially, safety of several of their coworkers goes Rambo on the newcops.
It's kind of the situation as with Wizard bombing. If you succeed, well, points for you. If you fail and take out people with you... well, certainly there will be repercussions. This makes those situations rarer but when they happen, they're pretty succesful.
It's not a MUH EMULSIONS thing; it's borderline abuse of certain lackluster mechanics (pushes being auto-disarm-stuns and gunning down said hostages being slower than it realistically would, for instance, in this case) that creates an anticlimactic ending of the round. It's less about arrpees and more about it feeling cheap.
Welcome to robust combat mechanics and ping based combat. Enjoy your stay.
A *hostage* breaking free and taking out their captors (somewhat) makes sense for the character - they ARE in mortal danger - and is a decent story; Security flashbanging errything and saving the day makes sense and is a decent story; tense negotiations followed by a hostage exchange involves a lot of players into the events and is a good story; but some bald thirty year old rando feels like a deus ex machina and does not involve more or less anyone else in a role more involved than being a glorified NPC.
Hey, after all, they're kept at the gunpoint and should have no interest in annoying their captors. The "rand bald" thing is actually more realistic, as without external help you're not going to do shit really, and assistant that has not been captured has more maneuvering space and usually has a element of suprise. Also, after all, he's in mortal danger too, as if he was to find some hostage situation, he's proably going to get shoot too.
powergamer.
The point of cult and rev are to RP a situation, not simply to "win at all costs" and even for light rp simply "We're a cult! Join y/n?" doesn't cut it, for any kind of rp. If forcecult, then RP forcecult, otherwise, instead of thinking it' all bland, maybe they are stripping you of the crutch of unthinking mayhem and "I have all the ooc knowledge, therefore my character can do whatever the f- any other character can do" and requiring you to actually think and be creative.
You do realize that if they're winning or at least have chance to do so, will result in better RP? As in, the whole cult/rev doesn't get cut at the head on start of the round because, suprise, suprise, they can't manage to convert anyone because simply (especially on populated stations) getting to RP convert someone takes shitton of time. Also, I specifically said that "Join Y/N" thing doesn't cut it. As for the creative antagonists... well... you're a assistant. You have to assasinate the captain, however if you do anything more complicated than mopping the floor, you get bant. Enjoy being unable to do anything except suicide by cop.
On Urist, even antags have to have a valid reason to kill, even if it's just "the plan has gone to hell and I'm in big trouble and they are after me." That said, shooting the janitor idling in the bar is pretty unnecessary. Murderboning bad, no no no.
Exterminating a whole station is a pretty good plan if you have resources and skills to do it, even ICkly. Not that it's fun to anyone besides you (unless the crew stops acting like sheep and mans up to fight the murderboner).

I'm not one for longwinded emotes and dramatic speches and waiting fifteen minutes while the other guy carefully crafts his RP. I throw in a few short /mes when I can, to add flavor, but don't expect an emote parade. light-medium it is.

And you expect Revs/Cult to RP the converts? How do you imagine they would do that without long discussions or dramatic speeches? "Oh hey, hi there, the Nanotrasen is bad, let's kill the heads" doesn't cut it, as you said. The only way to do it competently is proably keeping an document with responses to just copy/paste.
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
Do you carefully craft your responses and stuff you do in real life? Think five minutes how to pick up a cup in most "flavour" way possible? I don't have anything against emotes, /me's or stuff, but expecting someone to make huge walls (sometimes even if they're alone (!) as evidenced by Bay) of what they do when they're doing engineering stuff or research or whatever is bullshit.

Prepostedit:
No antags have objectives - what you do is entirely your own creativity. There are rules against killing the entire station. I've never seen players being stopped by admins for trying to save the station no matter the odds though it may be frowned on at times - feats of robustness are always appreciated.
You... you actually conviced me to give it a try. No antag objectives? That is... what I wanted on /tg/ all the time. While I consider that forbidding people from killing whole station not exactly nice thing, I won't proably have trouble with that, considering my ping will be too shitty to properly kill people without suprising them.

And remember: If you want to make friends quickly, read Woody's Got Wood out over the radio.
You'll be covered in hugs in no time :)
Okay, that sounds good. Thanks for the tip, will do.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22892 on: August 19, 2015, 05:28:08 pm »

Jesus fuck what did I miss while I was troubleshooting my internet.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22893 on: August 19, 2015, 05:53:00 pm »

An argument over powergaming and roleplaying, and how powergaming is not bad RP.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22894 on: August 19, 2015, 05:57:07 pm »

Kot, just a heads up. This thread is only about Urist McStation discussion and general SS13 discussion by strict ruling of Toady. We don't discuss other servers as those threads have been banned. So talking about RP policies on other servers is something you can take to another website, but discussing Urist's RP policies is fine. It helps to avoid inflammatory situations.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22895 on: August 19, 2015, 06:15:04 pm »

Rest assured that I've been trying to bring some new life into Badger in the shape of spiders on shuttles, to the point where people say "it's going to be spiders" whenever centcomm sends a package. Not really my gimmick, but I help. It's just pretty hard.
I doubt Badger's ever coming back. Arty was sort of close, but ran NTcode.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #22896 on: August 19, 2015, 06:26:15 pm »

Kot, just a heads up. This thread is only about Urist McStation discussion and general SS13 discussion by strict ruling of Toady. We don't discuss other servers as those threads have been banned. So talking about RP policies on other servers is something you can take to another website, but discussing Urist's RP policies is fine. It helps to avoid inflammatory situations.
Wasn't it general SS13 discussion tho? I mentioned /tg/ and Bay, but mostly as examples rather than wanting to discuss wether they're bad or good.
An argument over powergaming and roleplaying, and how powergaming is not bad RP.
It's not exactly powergaming, even if it allows powergaming to happen. Powergaming is wanting to win at all cost, and in SS13 (especially on your server, as it seems there's no greentext there) winning isin't a thing unless you're an antag (and again, this doesn't apply to Urist apparently), and what I'm saying is that I don't enjoy being constrained by arbitrary rules on what my character can or can't do.

EDIT:
Also, is it normal that the download takes two hours? Whatever, it didin't actually start for some reason. Had no idea your downloading works differently. It still takes a long time tho, apparently.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:37:24 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22897 on: August 19, 2015, 06:41:38 pm »

The problem with BYOND downloading is that it sends a block of data, and then waits for a response before it sends the next block. (I think I got that right. MSO is the our server wizard, I'm just a maintainer :P)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #22898 on: August 19, 2015, 07:50:49 pm »

Holy shit I popped up and I just noticed that I actually have nothing against you. RPCult and RPRev make sense when there's less than 20-30 people and HOLY SHIT YOU DON'T HAVE CATFOLK, NO ONE-SHOOT TASERS, ROUND VOTING, EXTENDED REMOVED FROM SECRET, IT'S A FUCKING HEAVEN!

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22899 on: August 19, 2015, 08:43:16 pm »

I always thought the restrictions on antags murdering people were kind of stupid, a lot of the fun as an antag is causing chaos on the station. IF there's a crazed murderer on the loose it tends to be fun to see people's reactions to said murderer, or terrorist.

Lmandude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22900 on: August 19, 2015, 08:59:53 pm »

Is it at all possible to play on this server on a Linux computer, or am I out of luck until I get Windows?

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22901 on: August 19, 2015, 09:03:48 pm »

I always thought the restrictions on antags murdering people were kind of stupid, a lot of the fun as an antag is causing chaos on the station. IF there's a crazed murderer on the loose it tends to be fun to see people's reactions to said murderer, or terrorist.

Yeah, until admins get 20 ahelps whining, every single person is yelling at the antag and a fight starts in OOC. Its like merc rounds but worse. Nobody likes a murderbone, even the people who do.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22902 on: August 19, 2015, 10:15:23 pm »

Is it at all possible to play on this server on a Linux computer, or am I out of luck until I get Windows?

I *think* you can run it on Wine, but I could be wrong. If I were you, I'd check the BYOND forums or post on there.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22903 on: August 19, 2015, 10:35:07 pm »

Here's a quick, easy, and hilarious method of assassinating a target for antags:

1. Copy their name and voice using a voice changer and agent ID(Or just mimic them if you're a 'ling). DO NOT use your target's ID.

2. Hide, then read "Woody's Got Wood" over the radio. Repeat the broadcast for as long as your target is alive.

3. ????

4. PROFIT!!!

Follow these steps and I guarantee SOMEONE with your target's name will be dead in ten minutes or less. Mileage may vary, use responsibly :^)
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22904 on: August 20, 2015, 12:39:47 am »

Voice changers were recently changed to not need IDs.
Pages: 1 ... 1525 1526 [1527] 1528 1529 ... 1654