Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1524 1525 [1526] 1527 1528 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2118413 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #22875 on: August 19, 2015, 11:45:50 am »

I enjoy my heavyrp. Dunno why. I enjoy the slowness and such and calmness of Bay.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #22876 on: August 19, 2015, 11:47:40 am »

>map wars
>2015

grow up please.

anyway, we might get map rotation soon
Box the worst map ever, Metastation ftw! Assteroid station pretty cool tho.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22877 on: August 19, 2015, 12:22:00 pm »

RPRev and RPCult essentially just are normal cult and rev rounds except both require a 'yes' when a pop up appears.

Cult incentives saying yes through RP because it says you're basically mindfucked because you said no or something. I haven'ted played cult in a while, one of my least favorite game modes :P

But no. I don't hate wackyness, even if that's not what you're saying. I just prefer roleplay over crazy stuff happening. I will gladly let something crazy happen of course, no gonna shoot a clown doing some harmless[/b] stunt that effects no one, however I will stun and at least question a clown going to set up the engine.

Because clowns generally do not have that level of expertise. So I dunno if that's a deal killer to you or not, but that's how I see it. Maybe. Dunno if that even made any sense XD

Everyone knows that modern clowns are evolved from mantis shrimp, and inherit their multicolored appearance and psychopathic killing instinct.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22878 on: August 19, 2015, 12:27:21 pm »

Maybe, but that doesn't excuse stunts that are dangerouuuus :v

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #22879 on: August 19, 2015, 12:42:23 pm »

Oh, I didin't notice you...
RPRev and RPCult essentially just are normal cult and rev rounds except both require a 'yes' when a pop up appears.

Cult incentives saying yes through RP because it says you're basically mindfucked because you said no or something. I haven'ted played cult in a while, one of my least favorite game modes :P
Except no. My main problem is that Rev/Cult have to set up the whole RPRev or RPCult, and AFAIK, simple asking "Join the cult!" or "Join the revolution!" won't cut it, and making it longer essentially makes both factions crippled because instead of quickly snowballing, they slowly RP the whole thing which makes an already weak antagonists weaker.
But no. I don't hate wackyness, even if that's not what you're saying. I just prefer roleplay over crazy stuff happening. I will gladly let something crazy happen of course, no gonna shoot a clown doing some harmless[/b] stunt that effects no one, however I will stun and at least question a clown going to set up the engine.

Because clowns generally do not have that level of expertise. So I dunno if that's a deal killer to you or not, but that's how I see it. Maybe. Dunno if that even made any sense XD
Anyway...
No. I  have nothing against stunning the clown when he's setting up the engine. I have nothing against RPing. I however have a lot against forcing me to RP. Fuck that. If I'm a clown and the only person capable of saving the station, fuck anyone who's going to stop me OOCkly. If i'm a traitor and spot an funny idea of accomplishing my task, despite that my character wouldn't really have the knowledge, fuck that, you're literally forcing me to be bland. And forcing the antagonists to accomplish their tasks instead of doing something else (kinda understandable if it's a team antag, but I've seen Nuke Ops peacefully take over the station) which they consider more fun (hell, they can ever murderbone, they're antags) is also forcing them to be bland. Essentially, forcing people to RP, instead of making the whole thing interesting, makes it boring. The SS13 is perfect for Light RP, as most things can be done without /me's and stuff, so you can focus on talking more. This is arguably more realistic, as instead of RP, you simply do stuff, as you would in real life.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22880 on: August 19, 2015, 01:29:54 pm »

So it's realistic, for a clown to set up the engine.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #22881 on: August 19, 2015, 01:36:06 pm »

Considering they're all (or rather should be) highly trained spacemans...
But yeah, no, I kinda made two points here.
1.) Dissalowing me to do stuff because "lol RP" is bad and boring, also makes the game produce less "heroic AAR" where assistants save the station (seriously, if an assistant manages to disarm a Nuke Ops and kill them all by himself, he should get a fucking medal, not a ban for "non-rp").
2.) Not giving a shit about "OOC RP" (as in, /me's) is arguably more realistic in case of SS13. Of course, there's still a point of it if you do something that isin't coded (ERP).

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22882 on: August 19, 2015, 01:49:53 pm »

No. I'm not saying you cannot help the station. I am saying that, speaking from the point of view of a character(or security guard in my case) in the game, a clown should be the last person in the engine room during a crisis that requires the engine being set up. I do not care if your character knows how to set it up, just going up to the engine room and hacking inside to set it up without any explanation is what I'm talking about.

I'm also not forcing you to be bland in your traitoring. Want to have an army of loyal cyborgs made from the corpses of people you kill? Go right ahead! Cool stuff is fine. What I am against is people doing things that would be OOC. If an assisstant manages to destroy a nuke ops and such, yay. I'd assume said assisstant, IC, had some form of past in fighting or something and put it to use. I don't care how they ended up an assisstant, if there's a valid explanation IC that makes sense, I'm fine with it.

And no. According to most lore, most of the people who are highly trained spacemans are the people in charge of research. Literally everyone else is either on contract or part of the auxillary crew. The main crew that matters is the science department's staff.

Aaaand finally, as it's not as important. Nuke Ops taking over a station without firing a bullet is just as good as them killing everyone. If the station is willing to listen and the crew is charismatic enough, surely they'll use this to their advantage and either stall for a secondary team to get the nuke disk and such or simply get their trust and then backstab them. There is still an underlying goal to peacefully taking the station over so they get dat greentext. Or not. Tbh, I prefer everyone to have fun versus only the people doing the killing to have fun. Dunno if you're different.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #22883 on: August 19, 2015, 02:08:52 pm »

No. I'm not saying you cannot help the station. I am saying that, speaking from the point of view of a character(or security guard in my case) in the game, a clown should be the last person in the engine room during a crisis that requires the engine being set up. I do not care if your character knows how to set it up, just going up to the engine room and hacking inside to set it up without any explanation is what I'm talking about.
The whole "Clown In Engine" is purely theoretical, though I've seen this stuff happen quite a few times (especially lowpop Basil). And again, I have nothing against handling this IC, but I have a lot against banning people for doing stuff their characters theoretically couldn't.
I'm also not forcing you to be bland in your traitoring.
Wait, are you like an official owner of SS13 or something? Why would it be you to force me to do stuff? I agree I used "you" in my previous posts, but that was more like a general "you", not you specifically.
Want to have an army of loyal cyborgs made from the corpses of people you kill? Go right ahead! Cool stuff is fine. What I am against is people doing things that would be OOC. If an assisstant manages to destroy a nuke ops and such, yay. I'd assume said assisstant, IC, had some form of past in fighting or something and put it to use. I don't care how they ended up an assisstant, if there's a valid explanation IC that makes sense, I'm fine with it.
You might be, rules of many servers aren't (looking at you Bay and all those small circlejerk heavy RP servers).
And no. According to most lore, most of the people who are highly trained spacemans are the people in charge of research. Literally everyone else is either on contract or part of the auxillary crew. The main crew that matters is the science department's staff.
Talking about "lore" when it comes to SS13 is pretty dumb. After all, every server can have it's own lore, the only thing that's constant is pretty much Nanotrasen (and Syndicate and such) and that's just because it would be a bitch to change all the references in stuff. But anyway, you would still think everyone who goes to a highly sophisticated research space station went through some trainings on "how to not explode the station".
Aaaand finally, as it's not as important. Nuke Ops taking over a station without firing a bullet is just as good as them killing everyone. If the station is willing to listen and the crew is charismatic enough, surely they'll use this to their advantage and either stall for a secondary team to get the nuke disk and such or simply get their trust and then backstab them. There is still an underlying goal to peacefully taking the station over so they get dat greentext.
Or simply agree that they have no actual way to stop the the Nuke Ops, because they're skeleton crew and give the disk to Ops, and call the shuttle. Nuke Ops explode it after they leave. Simple.
Or not. Tbh, I prefer everyone to have fun versus only the people doing the killing to have fun. Dunno if you're different.
Thanks to the fact there are antagonists, pretty much every round will have someone unhappy because they die. You can't make everyone have fun, pretty much, even if you run extended, because people (depending on how fast they max their stuff) will get bored very fast.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22884 on: August 19, 2015, 02:14:51 pm »

seriously, if an assistant manages to disarm a Nuke Ops and kill them all by himself, he should get a fucking medal, not a ban for "non-rp"
You have no goddamn idea how annoying it is when Nuke Ops have fifteen hundred hostages under the barrel of their automatics when a random greyshirt with no business being there, zero regard for their own safety or, more crucially, safety of several of their coworkers goes Rambo on the newcops.

It's not a MUH EMULSIONS thing; it's borderline abuse of certain lackluster mechanics (pushes being auto-disarm-stuns and gunning down said hostages being slower than it realistically would, for instance, in this case) that creates an anticlimactic ending of the round. It's less about arrpees and more about it feeling cheap.

A *hostage* breaking free and taking out their captors (somewhat) makes sense for the character - they ARE in mortal danger - and is a decent story; Security flashbanging errything and saving the day makes sense and is a decent story; tense negotiations followed by a hostage exchange involves a lot of players into the events and is a good story; but some bald thirty year old rando feels like a deus ex machina and does not involve more or less anyone else in a role more involved than being a glorified NPC.

Bottom line, nobody gives a fuck about other servers' rules as per rules in the OP; as far as Urist goes, love it (and/or whine about things to change them) or leave it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22885 on: August 19, 2015, 02:27:59 pm »

The whole "Clown In Engine" is purely theoretical, though I've seen this stuff happen quite a few times (especially lowpop Basil). And again, I have nothing against handling this IC, but I have a lot against banning people for doing stuff their characters theoretically couldn't.

I realize it was theoretical, I apologize if I didn't make it clear. Regardless, when in a normal population round where there are enough people, it should be clear that no, someone who has no right to be there shouldn't be there. Along with that, we rarely ban people for RP reasons. Most bans are from repeat offenders and/or people who clearly break the rules.

Wait, are you like an official owner of SS13 or something? Why would it be you to force me to do stuff? I agree I used "you" in my previous posts, but that was more like a general "you", not you specifically.

No, but as I am a mentor on the server I feel a general obligation to help people understand things and such. While I do not play much, yes, I still consider myself a member of the community. I simply responded to that comment as it needed to be responded to. Apologies.

You might be, rules of many servers aren't (looking at you Bay and all those small circlejerk heavy RP servers).

I don't have much to say about this besides the fact that we're currently discussing this server AFAIK, soo... Yeah. This server doesn't really have many 'heavy rp' rules. We don't require people to even RP professionally. Just enough to seem like they're not a computer game.

Talking about "lore" when it comes to SS13 is pretty dumb. After all, every server can have it's own lore, the only thing that's constant is pretty much Nanotrasen (and Syndicate and such) and that's just because it would be a bitch to change all the references in stuff. But anyway, you would still think everyone who goes to a highly sophisticated research space station went through some trainings on "how to not explode the station".

Yes. I believe that to be true. They would know not to blow the station up, however I don't really think everyone has an in depth understanding of how things work. They may know not to push the red button but they surely don't know how to fix it if someone does push the button. It's a case by case thing tbh. An engineer will know how to work the engines. They may also know how to cook and such. However, a security guard, 95 percent of the time, won't know how to turn on a supermatter engine without dying horribly.

Or simply agree that they have no actual way to stop the the Nuke Ops, because they're skeleton crew and give the disk to Ops, and call the shuttle. Nuke Ops explode it after they leave. Simple.

The crew knows nothing about these nuke ops until they reveal themselves and state it. Usually the nuke ops doesn't have an accurate estimate of who they are. There very well may be a full security when the nuke ops go in, but they don't know that because they normally don't have crew manifests. It all depends on what this skeleton crew contains and if they're even willing to just surrender. It's entirely possible to delay the team through stalling, hiding the disk, or trying to have a last stand after breaking into security. Again, it's all up to the crew.

Also, I think objectiveless syndicate operatives are much better than just nuke ops. It doesn't force them to kill people. They could easily be trying to kidnap someone and get some mad cash for them. It's all a matter of how the people playing them feel.

Thanks to the fact there are antagonists, pretty much every round will have someone unhappy because they die. You can't make everyone have fun, pretty much, even if you run extended, because people (depending on how fast they max their stuff) will get bored very fast.

I'm not saying 'dont kill people please.' I'm saying, try to make things fun. I don't think that I can please everyone in a round of SS13. What I think is that I can try to make the experience of SS13 enjoyable to them. I want people to think, when they die. 'Wow that was awesome. I sure had fun' more than 'What the hell, man. Cheap.'

I'd prefer someone to have a long discussion, begging their killer to stop then to have someone mercilessly stab them to death. While the latter can happen, both IRL and in game, I personally think a normal person who has been blackmailed into doing something such as kill someone, I think they'd be willing to give mercy should they be convinced.

seriously, if an assistant manages to disarm a Nuke Ops and kill them all by himself, he should get a fucking medal, not a ban for "non-rp"
You have no goddamn idea how annoying it is when Nuke Ops have fifteen hundred hostages under the barrel of their automatics when a random greyshirt with no business being there, zero regard for their own safety or, more crucially, safety of several of their coworkers goes Rambo on the newcops.

It's not a MUH EMULSIONS thing; it's borderline abuse of certain lackluster mechanics (pushes being auto-disarm-stuns and gunning down said hostages being slower than it realistically would, for instance, in this case) that creates an anticlimactic ending of the round. It's less about arrpees and more about it feeling cheap.

A *hostage* breaking free and taking out their captors (somewhat) makes sense for the character - they ARE in mortal danger - and is a decent story; Security flashbanging errything and saving the day makes sense and is a decent story; tense negotiations followed by a hostage exchange involves a lot of players into the events and is a good story; but some bald thirty year old rando feels like a deus ex machina and does not involve more or less anyone else in a role more involved than being a glorified NPC.

Took the words out of my mouth, tbh.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22886 on: August 19, 2015, 02:40:10 pm »

Bay isn't a circlejerk. It's more of a circletolerate. Jesus, the salt after nearly every cult round is hilarious.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22887 on: August 19, 2015, 02:58:09 pm »

circletolerate
I am disproportionately amused by that word.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22888 on: August 19, 2015, 02:59:15 pm »

Quote from: Kot link=topic=123140.msg6457587#msg6457587 date=1440006143
 My main problem is that Rev/Cult have to set up the whole RPRev or RPCult, and AFAIK, [b
simple asking "Join the cult!" or "Join the revolution!" won't cut it,[/b] and making it longer essentially makes both factions crippled because instead of quickly snowballing, they slowly RP the whole thing which makes an already weak antagonists weaker.

Anyway...
No. I  have nothing against stunning the clown when he's setting up the engine. I have nothing against RPing. I however have a lot against forcing me to RP. Fuck that. If I'm a clown and the only person capable of saving the station, fuck anyone who's going to stop me OOCkly. If i'm a traitor and spot an funny idea of accomplishing my task, despite that my character wouldn't really have the knowledge, fuck that, you're literally forcing me to be bland. And forcing the antagonists to accomplish their tasks instead of doing something else (kinda understandable if it's a team antag, but I've seen Nuke Ops peacefully take over the station) which they consider more fun (hell, they can ever murderbone, they're antags) is also forcing them to be bland. Essentially, forcing people to RP, instead of making the whole thing interesting, makes it boring. The SS13 is perfect for Light RP, as most things can be done without /me's and stuff, so you can focus on talking more. This is arguably more realistic, as instead of RP, you simply do stuff, as you would in real life.
powergamer.
The point of cult and rev are to RP a situation, not simply to "win at all costs" and even for light rp simply "We're a cult! Join y/n?" doesn't cut it, for any kind of rp. If forcecult, then RP forcecult, otherwise, instead of thinking it' all bland, maybe they are stripping you of the crutch of unthinking mayhem and "I have all the ooc knowledge, therefore my character can do whatever the f- any other character can do" and requiring you to actually think and be creative.

Clowns are not highly trained spacemen. they are clowns. They are clumsy, and are supposed to be entertainment, not supergenius medicroboticistengineerSWATmen.

On Urist, even antags have to have a valid reason to kill, even if it's just "the plan has gone to hell and I'm in big trouble and they are after me." That said, shooting the janitor idling in the bar is pretty unnecessary. Murderboning bad, no no no.
The SS13 is perfect for Light RP, as most things can be done without /me's and stuff, so you can focus on talking more.
I'm not one for longwinded emotes and dramatic speches and waiting fifteen minutes while the other guy carefully crafts his RP. I throw in a few short /mes when I can, to add flavor, but don't expect an emote parade. light-medium it is.

This is arguably more realistic, as instead of RP, you simply do stuff, as you would in real life.
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

AH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22889 on: August 19, 2015, 05:17:16 pm »

I am sad. All servers seem to be either heavy RP (roleplay walking or get bant), heavy RP disguised as medium RP (Cult or Revs actually RPing the conversions? Who the fuck has time for that?), or lolk murderbonker (optionally, lowpop metafriend game of boring). Where is muh Badger Light RP with didin't enforce it but people still did it if they had time? ;_;

I was a /tg/ player back when Badger was a temporary thing and when Basil was called... something else and was server two. I exclusively played Sibyl and vehemently hated Badger and Metastation for every single second it existed. I do perfectly fine on Urist, and the roleplay level varies highly between players, from former Baystation players to five exclamation marks in an allcaps sentence.

Regarding revolution, I have barely seen any games because of the broken state it's in. We have Mutiny occasionally and it only seems to be fun if you're in or near Command/Sec. Cult happens, most of the time very little RP is required because most people will literally stand on a cult rune in a public hallway if you ask them to.

No antags have objectives - what you do is entirely your own creativity. There are rules against killing the entire station. I've never seen players being stopped by admins for trying to save the station no matter the odds though it may be frowned on at times - feats of robustness are always appreciated.

I've never seen you play though you've been lurking here, I recommend you try a game; judging from your past patronage I think you'll do just fine and be able to carve out your own opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 1524 1525 [1526] 1527 1528 ... 1654