Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2126123 times)

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #4305 on: April 25, 2013, 12:17:13 pm »

Here's my idea of what happened: Vactor got tired of us whining to update so he's updating the server.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: April 25, 2013, 12:40:59 pm »

Nah, it's just down. I already PMd him about it and he said he would restart it when he gets home from work. KG's server seems to be up tough, altough it's stuck in a traitorchan loop.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:49:39 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4307 on: April 25, 2013, 01:31:06 pm »

Nah, it's just down. I already PMd him about it and he said he would restart it when he gets home from work. KG's server seems to be up tough, altough it's stuck in a traitorchan loop.

Fixed.

KG

EDIT: I'm watching the lonely CE try to keep the station afloat...he knows not why he toils, simply that Nanotrasen wants this forsaken station in the corner of the galaxy to stay operational, and that he is the sole man assigned to do it...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:45:46 pm by kg333 »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: April 25, 2013, 01:58:15 pm »

Fixed.

KG

EDIT: I'm watching the lonely CE try to keep the station afloat...he knows not why he toils, simply that Nanotrasen wants this forsaken station in the corner of the galaxy to stay operational, and that he is the sole man assigned to do it...

At least he has access to most things.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: April 25, 2013, 02:17:59 pm »

As far as the previous conversation, regarding 'discipline' vs harm, come on....  the law says "Don't harm humans". It should be obvious that calling harm 'discipline' doesn't change the fact that it's harm. If you're trying to use a harmbaton, it's even more obvious...
So should the AI lock doors to prevent security from reaching a criminal?  They obviously intend to harm the criminal, and no harm at all is allowed!

Well, the way it seems to go is, stunning is not harm. Essentially, harm has to do some type of damage.  So if security is going after a criminal with stun batons and handcuffs, no problem. As the AI you will also want to ensure they don't plan to execute the criminal.  If security is going after the criminal with lasers and fireaxes, yeah, you should be bolting doors and trying to stop them.

It's basically up to you how far you want to take this, and how far you're going to go to prevent 'possible' harm.  You have to find the happy medium for your AI character, and that should be somewhere between ordering security to beat people, and locking down toxins.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:27:58 pm by Damiac »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: April 25, 2013, 03:28:35 pm »

So if the AI's laws are so open to interpretation, what happens when the admins disagree with the AI's interpretation and an argument ensues? Or, for that matter, anyone. I think the idea is to get a more firm ruleset so that this doesn't happen. If the current rules don't fulfill this, we need to make a better set of them.
Nothing important here, move along.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: April 25, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »

Ah, looks like /tg/ updated their map a few days ago... time to merge!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: April 25, 2013, 03:37:16 pm »

So if the AI's laws are so open to interpretation, what happens when the admins disagree with the AI's interpretation and an argument ensues? Or, for that matter, anyone. I think the idea is to get a more firm ruleset so that this doesn't happen. If the current rules don't fulfill this, we need to make a better set of them.
The point of Asimov is that they're meant for a certain purpose, but they're still exploitable and broken making the AI more susceptible to harm rather than being an omnipotent god-being that saves the station all of the time. So it's either we make a new lawset, and have people complain about having to follow a certain set of rules all of the time, or we leave it open to some interpretation and have the admins intervene when someone is straying very far from the original law.

Seriously, the majority of the time any admin has to talk to an AI about how they interpret their laws is when they're either purposely misinterpreting it or metagaming. Besides, admin decision is final. If enough people have an issue with an admin's decision, they can dispute it and have it overturned anyways. Leaving it open to interpretation is the easiest and frankly best option so far, and is the decision all of the admins have agreed on.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: April 25, 2013, 03:42:23 pm »

The point of Asimov is that they're meant for a certain purpose, but they're still exploitable and broken making the AI more susceptible to harm rather than being an omnipotent god-being that saves the station all of the time. So it's either we make a new lawset, and have people complain about having to follow a certain set of rules all of the time, or we leave it open to some interpretation and have the admins intervene when someone is straying very far from the original law.

Seriously, the majority of the time any admin has to talk to an AI about how they interpret their laws is when they're either purposely misinterpreting it or metagaming. Besides, admin decision is final. If enough people have an issue with an admin's decision, they can dispute it and have it overturned anyways. Leaving it open to interpretation is the easiest and frankly best option so far, and is the decision all of the admins have agreed on.
Can we at least agree, one interpretation that is not valid is locking down toxins, xeno, and viro?  These are valid work stations with jobs, that many AI insist be locked.  If there's no one working them, then locking them to prevent unauthorized access is fine, but when people are trying to do their job (and enjoy playing the game) and the AI says "I don't feel like you need to have fun this round" it's very lame.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: April 25, 2013, 03:45:09 pm »

Can we at least agree, one interpretation that is not valid is locking down toxins, xeno, and viro?  These are valid work stations with jobs, that many AI insist be locked.  If there's no one working them, then locking them to prevent unauthorized access is fine, but when people are trying to do their job (and enjoy playing the game) and the AI says "I don't feel like you need to have fun this round" it's very lame.
As I implied, that would be a situation where it wouldn't be allowed. I sincerely doubt someone legitimately thinks that's okay to do, and is most likely doing it just to fuck with people.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: April 25, 2013, 03:51:44 pm »

So. Images from the last week or so I want to post.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: April 25, 2013, 04:05:38 pm »

dey turk err jurbs

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: April 25, 2013, 04:14:02 pm »

As I implied, that would be a situation where it wouldn't be allowed. I sincerely doubt someone legitimately thinks that's okay to do, and is most likely doing it just to fuck with people.
Jacob/Lee, aka A.X.L. did just so, got carded pretty quick.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: April 25, 2013, 04:26:14 pm »

But the point is the virologist wasn't working xenobiology and there were no scientists to do so, he just wanted to try to steal one of the starving, murderous slimes so he could experiment with it.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: April 25, 2013, 04:37:59 pm »

But the point is the virologist wasn't working xenobiology and there were no scientists to do so, he just wanted to try to steal one of the starving, murderous slimes so he could experiment with it.
Now see, this seems fine to me. That's an actual reason to lock down xenobiology, but usually it'd be best to ask the heads first. Girlinhat, you presented to me the situation where the AI does it for no reason, and in this case this seems okay.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 1654