Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2126188 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #4230 on: April 24, 2013, 01:36:15 pm »

Also. Backstory is we're in the year 2550 and humanity have been in space for 500 years. I'd think the average person would be able to do some simple wiring and turn on a solar array through a very simple to use computer. Or at conceivably be able to do so. They would also probably leave it to the engineers if there were any.

We've had electricity for over a hundred years now. Very few people can do simple wiring without killing themselves. Some of those people consider science and technology to be evil while still living in homes with running clean water and lighting and two cars in the garage.

Setting up the singulo is an exception tough, since it's pretty much vital to everyone's fun.

The solars are enough and you need far less knowledge than the singu. Both require hardsuit work. Solars don't eat the station, but they can still be sabotaged from within the station. Power sinks are a lot more heinous against only solars.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 01:38:00 pm by BigD145 »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: April 24, 2013, 01:43:43 pm »

Presumably, wearing a hardsuit would be common knowledge just because it's one of the few pieces of safety gear that can save anyone's ass if something goes horribly wrong. Even if it wasn't NanoTransen providing the training, I'd imagine most of the crew would have at least tried to find a way to familiarize themselves with its use just to be on the safe side. Surely most of them are intelligent enough to recognize that there's very little that's safe about the station.
Nothing important here, move along.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: April 24, 2013, 01:49:46 pm »

Presumably, wearing a hardsuit would be common knowledge just because it's one of the few pieces of safety gear that can save anyone's ass if something goes horribly wrong. Even if it wasn't NanoTransen providing the training, I'd imagine most of the crew would have at least tried to find a way to familiarize themselves with its use just to be on the safe side. Surely most of them are intelligent enough to recognize that there's very little that's safe about the station.

I assume this: You're in space, the most hostile and deadly environment a human being can find themselves in outside the core of a planet or close orbit around a star. If you DON'T know how to wear a hardsuit/spacesuit, you deserve to die. Honestly, in any real space station, EVERYONE would have quick and easy access to a space suit of some sort, and jumpsuits would probably be pressurized/have automatic heating devices/other safety features.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: April 24, 2013, 01:58:36 pm »

But this is Space Station 13, and not only is NanoTransen not willing to spend enough money on space suits for everyone, they're not even willing to give them a way to make more.

No, I'm not lobbying to make absolutely everything in the game able to be made or bought with the right work/research/resources, what makes you say that? :P
Nothing important here, move along.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: April 24, 2013, 02:00:28 pm »

theres also the matter with wiring in that even today highschools sometimes run wiring courses and such.  I for one have never been trained in wiring outside of school and I have more then enough knowledge to set up simple circuits and build little electronic devices.  Wiring a house or ((in this case)) solars would be incredibly easy for me.  Thats why I personally agree with the notion of 'you can do some things outside your job and still be within role-play ideals'  since if we wanna actually have characters who technically have lead thier own lives up till that point, well then normal people are not so 2d as to be jammed within a set job and have zero knowledge outside of that area of expertise.

But this is Space Station 13, and not only is NanoTransen not willing to spend enough money on space suits for everyone, they're not even willing to give them a way to make more.

No, I'm not lobbying to make absolutely everything in the game able to be made or bought with the right work/research/resources, what makes you say that? :P
Unless the reason theres not that many space suits there is because it's a research station, and they don't want people potentially escaping into space with thier research?
Nom nom nom

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: April 24, 2013, 02:03:44 pm »

Warning. Incoming wall of text. Warning.
tl;dr What are people allowed to know about antagonists?

Warning. Incoming wall of text. Warning.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also. Backstory is we're in the year 2550 and humanity have been in space for 500 years. I'd think the average person would be able to do some simple wiring and turn on a solar array through a very simple to use computer. Or at conceivably be able to do so. They would also probably leave it to the engineers if there were any.

I was going to answer but accidentally erased it D:. Tl;Dr - there are laws, Possesion of Restricted Weapon/Explosives and (Grand) Sabotage. You shouldn't be able to robust someone for having a paint job on their toolbox or a different-looking bar of soap or having a balloon, on the other hand. BS12 has a page with their canon, but I don't know how much of these applies to us. And Execution is preferable to Permabrig, because dead people can at very least observe what else is going on, meanwhile Permabrig is KTHANKSBYEROUNDLOCKOUT.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: April 24, 2013, 02:13:33 pm »

meanwhile Permabrig is KTHANKSBYEROUNDLOCKOUT.

Not really, unless you're straightjacketed. The new permabrig is DESIGNED for escape attempts, and since its introduction, has seen MULTIPLE escape attempts. Some sucessful, others not. Some insane, some not. Well, mostly insane.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: April 24, 2013, 02:16:30 pm »

Not really, unless you're straightjacketed. The new permabrig is DESIGNED for escape attempts, and since its introduction, has seen MULTIPLE escape attempts. Some sucessful, others not. Some insane, some not. Well, mostly insane.

I escaped from permabrig with a fork. Granted, a random event helped me out here, but still. A fork.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: April 24, 2013, 02:17:35 pm »

Changing subject.  Any thoughts on AI rulings?  Two things in particular:

1: Last night, a non-Malf AI bolted xeno and refused to open it.  We ended up carding him.  Because slimes can be dangerous, he absolutely refused to let anyone in, even the research staff.

2: Last round, I played AI and the CE built walls around doors because atmosphere was leaking.  The doors were already bolted shut and the captain had gone into space (with hardsuit) to find someone.  The CE walked up and walled it over so the captain couldn't get back in except through maintenance.  I suggested giving the CE a few baton hits and people start saying I'm Malf for suggesting harm - there's a difference between harm and discipline.

Clearly we need some house rules on exactly how much that First Law governs anything.  I mean, if we're gonna take it to the extreme then during an AI round I should just bolt every door.  Humans cannot starve, but they may injure themselves or each other, therefor locking them in small closets is the most ideal situation for protection.

People take the laws far too literally sometimes...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: April 24, 2013, 02:21:50 pm »

Seriously? I didn't get to see any, and cannot think of anything aside from being broken out.

You cannot try the northern windows, electrified. If someone opens the door, there is still another door behind it, and then Brig, which is generally not the place you want to escape to. If you want to try to get to Armory, you need a whole lot of tools and time to breach the walls. At least half of the other walls cover void. Ideas?

I escaped from permabrig with a fork. Granted, a random event helped me out here, but still. A fork.

Gr3y T1de virus?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: April 24, 2013, 02:22:26 pm »

Yeah had much the same issues in some rounds, with AI bolting down toxins and other areas and refusing to give it up and then refuses checkups, causing indirect death by accusing anyone trying to check on them of being a traitor (in much more fancy words). Annoying players more then AI, I'd think...

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: April 24, 2013, 02:23:49 pm »

Changing subject.  Any thoughts on AI rulings?  Two things in particular:

1: Last night, a non-Malf AI bolted xeno and refused to open it.  We ended up carding him.  Because slimes can be dangerous, he absolutely refused to let anyone in, even the research staff.

2: Last round, I played AI and the CE built walls around doors because atmosphere was leaking.  The doors were already bolted shut and the captain had gone into space (with hardsuit) to find someone.  The CE walked up and walled it over so the captain couldn't get back in except through maintenance.  I suggested giving the CE a few baton hits and people start saying I'm Malf for suggesting harm - there's a difference between harm and discipline.

Clearly we need some house rules on exactly how much that First Law governs anything.  I mean, if we're gonna take it to the extreme then during an AI round I should just bolt every door.  Humans cannot starve, but they may injure themselves or each other, therefor locking them in small closets is the most ideal situation for protection.

People take the laws far too literally sometimes...

That might make for an interesting round. The AI, in its infinite wisdom, decides that the best way to prevent human harm is to prevent the station crew from doing anything and thus tries to lock everyone up in closets so they can be safe FOREVER.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: April 24, 2013, 02:26:45 pm »

I've been in permabrig.  I was LUCKY to get a station-bounced-radio just so that I wasn't locked out of the round forever.  The only 'tool' is an emergency O2 tank that you can use to break the window (assuming you're not caught too quickly) or to kill yourself (they'll revive you).  And getting out the window is just another suicide attempt anyways.

The only real way 'out' is to wait for a guard to open the door and rush through.  But then you're just in the hallway, I guess it's 'technically' an escape attempt...

Unless you know something creative to do with soap that we're not aware of.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:14 pm »

I mean, if we're gonna take it to the extreme then during an AI round I should just bolt every door.  Humans cannot starve, but they may injure themselves or each other, therefor locking them in small closets is the most ideal situation for protection.

Personally I think that the state of the station and staff at the start of the round should be presumed safe by the AI.  The AI should then respond reactively to the events that unfold, and changes to the station.  Proactively locking down the station, while it is a possible interpretation of the Laws, falls into the "not fun for anyone else" category.   All jobs can be done safely if done correctly.  The AI should presume that the people in that dept are capable of performing the job correctly until proven otherwise.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: April 24, 2013, 02:30:54 pm »

I mean, if we're gonna take it to the extreme then during an AI round I should just bolt every door.  Humans cannot starve, but they may injure themselves or each other, therefor locking them in small closets is the most ideal situation for protection.

Personally I think that the state of the station and staff at the start of the round should be presumed safe by the AI.  The AI should then respond reactively to the events that unfold, and changes to the station.  Proactively locking down the station, while it is a possible interpretation of the Laws, falls into the "not fun for anyone else" category.   All jobs can be done safely if done correctly.  The AI should presume that the people in that dept are capable of performing the job correctly until proven otherwise.
Due to the literal interpretation of laws by so many people, I'd suggest to push in a law somewhere, probably right between 1 and 2, "Any crew certified to a job is considered safe in such environment until emergency requires aid."
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 1654