Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2126246 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #4215 on: April 24, 2013, 11:19:09 am »

Alright, let's stop it, then, but you can't expect everyone to interpret the lore exactly as you do.

E: Btw, can somebody code-dive and see what causes these random hallucinations? I was working in the warehouse as QM when my health indicator suddenly states that I'm in crit.

E2: Nvm, looks like it was radiation.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:22:46 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: April 24, 2013, 11:25:47 am »

Just a note on meta job changes, many things can be explained by roleplaying.

Maybe the clown used to be an engineer before. Maybe the AI talks him through. Many things can happen.

I keep separate characters for this. One is a tech sort of engineer/scientist. The other is more of a clean stuff up janitor/doctor/food prep/civie. Not a clown/captain/CE/RD/CMO/syndie. If I'm RP'ing something I IC don't know that might be on the wiki, I fumble for awhile. I try X and Y together until I finally stumble on X and B without looking at the wiki.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:28:14 am by BigD145 »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: April 24, 2013, 11:42:23 am »

----
 If we ever did this (going public), we'd HAVE to eliminate any inactive admins and recruit more, ensuring that each one is a quality admin. So either we stay small and safe, or become big and having griefers be rather commonplace.

I'd suggest that you also have to eliminate incompetent admins that cause more issues then they solve, but self-termination is a bit rough on the ego, aye?

It's silly, but it works well for my servers[context: Not always ss13 servers]; Setup some rules, just for admins. Real simple and obvious stuff, but ensure its enforced and that people start off with a culture of checking on each other.

-Trial admin phases

-1st Ban worthy offence => Timed ban. Perma bans should never be the very first response to a issue, getting a new beyond id and even hardware ID (which many bans are based on) is very easy and if you anger someone, they can easily grief the hell out of the server on there own, avoiding all bans until you ban the ip range and then you're just crippling your userbase (and even that might not stop some).

-State a ban reason, either in your ban-statement (No, one word things like "Idiot" "robustedme" "noraison" are not okay) or in a quick pm exchange with a player. I used to have that you have to provide a screenshot or log with the ban cause, but that was quite effortful, so you can either have that for trial/junior admins or/and only in the case of perma bans.

-Keep track. Who was banned, why? The ss13 admin interface provides nice ways to input that information, so make use of it!

-For all that is holy, if you are community manger or server owner, please, go "undercover" on your own server, login with a different beyond account and watch the powercraze of some admins (not releated to this server, yet). Then don't be shy about removing them.

-Regulate punishments somewhat. Admin A will give you a jobban from CE and atmos tech for flooding the station with n20. Admin B will perma ban you if you add 90% oČ instead of 80%.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: April 24, 2013, 11:46:20 am »

I'll say this briefly on meta-job-changes: If you're in space, you know certain things.  Engineering, security, and mining are the only ones with hardsuits, and yet EVERY Nantrausen employee knows how to wear one.  Some knowledge is just 'basic space knowledge' and every given individual should know how to wire solars, begin cloning (though they likely don't know how to handle genetic defects), weld vents shut, and other such basics.  That's just basic emergency knowledge, same as every real person knows how to escape a burning building, every space person should be aware of how to wire a solar array.  Especially if AI is available, then the player's job is just laying some wire and letting the AI set the SMES.

On meta-RP: Let yourself fail some!  There's a LOT of instances of players using meta knowledge to avoid things.  Like doc says you've got appendicitis.  The player knows the medical scanner is the only method of detection.  The character then demands a scanner and denies it.  That sort of thing is directly anti-RP.  In my own round, I was a caught traitor who had gender change and plastic surgery, and my real fingerprints were found out.  Despite this, during my trial where I was deemed guilty, the entire crew revolted against the captain, HoS, and HoP and threw them in the brig.  Every player knew I was guilty, and yet every character followed their role, and we all loved it.

A huge part of the game is to act as your character.  Make requests of other jobs.  And don't do the doctor's job.  The doctor is already useless, at least let them smear you with ointment!

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: April 24, 2013, 12:05:24 pm »

Guys, just so you know, this is rapidly turning into SS13's previous threads. Stop it.

As to going public, no, just no. I'd prefer that we keep our current elements fun and just stick to tg source. We definitely don't have enough coders to go off and make our own edition, and we'll never have enough coders unless we go public. However, going public is terrible and means hell for the admins, hell for the actual players, and just hell in general.

Loosely in response to scrdest's post, and from personal experience ... Can we get some clarity on what level of meta is appropriate?
I think that part of what makes this server good is that we have players who are playing to have fun with each other, not necessarily playing for "wins".

I've waded through various logs regarding complaints about players, and I have seen people inadvertently Metaing themselves in response to suspected Metaing by other players.  The hunt and accusations of Meta seems to have caused more problems and hurt feelings than any Metaing has caused.

Thank you.

I'll say this briefly on meta-job-changes: If you're in space, you know certain things.  Engineering, security, and mining are the only ones with hardsuits, and yet EVERY Nantrausen employee knows how to wear one.  Some knowledge is just 'basic space knowledge' and every given individual should know how to wire solars, begin cloning (though they likely don't know how to handle genetic defects), weld vents shut, and other such basics.  That's just basic emergency knowledge, same as every real person knows how to escape a burning building, every space person should be aware of how to wire a solar array.  Especially if AI is available, then the player's job is just laying some wire and letting the AI set the SMES.

Thank you. These are pretty much my thoughts.
Also often called Boowells.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: April 24, 2013, 12:15:15 pm »

A little more meta talk: major point being in bold.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My first time as a doctor was fun. I knew how to heal brute damage and did so while repeatedly fumbling around at trying to perform surgery, which I did not know. I healed the damage I continually caused until I finally figured out the right combination of tools to get an appendix out. *stab*inject*stab*inject* I could have opened the wiki instead of failing a bunch for probably 10-20 minutes. Anesthetic? What's that? And where is it?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: April 24, 2013, 12:18:07 pm »

Anesthetic? What's that? And where is it?
Try working in robotics.  Your anesthetic is a crowbar.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: April 24, 2013, 12:52:21 pm »

Anesthetic? What's that? And where is it?
Try working in robotics.  Your anesthetic is a crowbar.

Ah, but Doctors are not Roboticists. Given that my character was a med school janitor a bucket or mop might have been a better choice. It's too bad I didn't have access to those.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: April 24, 2013, 12:53:53 pm »

There's anesthetic in the lockers.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: April 24, 2013, 12:58:03 pm »

Yeah.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: April 24, 2013, 01:05:32 pm »

On meta-job-changing... a big question for me is whether RPing ignorance makes the round more or less fun for people.

If there's someone playing a doctor  or engineer or whatever then let them do their job, or it makes the round less fun for them. If there's no active engineers and the power shouts out though then an awful lot of people end up just sitting bored in the dark with nothing to do. If fixing that means the mime suddenly remembering how to set up the singularity engine, then I say go for it.

Same goes for genetic defects. Quite a few of them are absolutely crippling and I've spent an hour just sitting in medbay mostly paralysed because I had tourettes and couldn't move. That wasn't fun at all, and really just turns the round into "alt-tab to something else, check back every 15 minutes". If there's a geneticist, chemist, CMO or whatever then let them do their job and tell them how OOC if they don't know... but if not, then I would have been delighted for just anyone to hand out some clean SEs.

To change the subject, sorry to GR for ordering the borg to kill you in that last round, but I didn't see another safe way out of the situation. I thought I'd been frightfully subtle with covering up the murder, but I was taking the victim's brain to the upload for cyborgisation and I couldn't let you find it in my pack. I was hoping to borg you later but the machines were bugged and I figured you'd get back playing quicker if I called the shuttle. Also sorry for snapping at you over the whole "IC over OOC" thing - that was rude and I'd like to apologise.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: April 24, 2013, 01:07:19 pm »

There's anesthetic in the lockers.

<--- Was not a surgeon. Was never shown anesthetic at the time. Was basically told, "If someone needs surgery don't touch them. Find qualified personnel." There were none. Patient asked for help so I tried my best. If a borg had asked me to change their battery I probably would have ended up destroying them in the process.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: April 24, 2013, 01:15:42 pm »

Warning. Incoming wall of text. Warning.
tl;dr What are people allowed to know about antagonists?

Warning. Incoming wall of text. Warning.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also. Backstory is we're in the year 2550 and humanity have been in space for 500 years. I'd think the average person would be able to do some simple wiring and turn on a solar array through a very simple to use computer. Or at conceivably be able to do so. They would also probably leave it to the engineers if there were any.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: April 24, 2013, 01:21:37 pm »

If there is someone holding that job, you shouldn't do it. But if there is no one to do it, and you HAVE to have that job done, do it without Wiki assistance. :P I think that would be the best bet. I mean, hacking doors and taking windows apart is one thing. But major surgery, setting up the singularity, making bombs, breeding slimes, dicking around with Atmos, or any other technically involved subject should be left to the professionals.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: April 24, 2013, 01:31:09 pm »

Just a note, I would always give a trial if the situation allows it, because I like trials.

Setting up the singulo is an exception tough, since it's pretty much vital to everyone's fun.

Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1654