Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2124770 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #3825 on: April 17, 2013, 12:30:00 pm »

Actually, I've been thinking that the bomb range would be a perfect place to build.  It's empty and large, and if it catches fire then it won't hurt any other departments.

Otherwise, mining asteroid is always viable.  The only problem there, is trying to ignite the gas, because I'm not entirely sure how to get an igniter installed.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: April 17, 2013, 12:31:01 pm »

Otherwise, mining asteroid is always viable.  The only problem there, is trying to ignite the gas, because I'm not entirely sure how to get an igniter installed.

Use pray :P Or throw in a welding torch that's on.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: April 17, 2013, 12:32:41 pm »

Use pray :P Or throw in a welding torch that's on.
Actually, the welding torch isn't a bad idea...  I can make that work.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: April 17, 2013, 12:33:51 pm »

yes, a welding torch left inside should work decently.

to the one who proposed removing shutters and the space near them: plasma doesn't burn at high pressures. which means, it has to be vented once in a while.

bomb range may be good, but I think it would require a lot of canisters to fill.
although we could be a new chamber inside it, and that would be perfect.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: April 17, 2013, 12:40:59 pm »

yes, a welding torch left inside should work decently.

to the one who proposed removing shutters and the space near them: plasma doesn't burn at high pressures. which means, it has to be vented once in a while.

bomb range may be good, but I think it would require a lot of canisters to fill.
although we could be a new chamber inside it, and that would be perfect.
That was the intention.  Some metal and glass (not even plasteel) can make reinforced glass.  While heat will be lost to the chamber, it should still suffice to keep a long burn in a small area using volume transfer pumps to send very specific amounts of fuel in at a time while transferring plasma underneath to H/E pipes.

This essentially creates two needs.
1: Make a chamber that can hold plasma/O2 mixture, and see how long it can burn while being fed fuel.
2: However long it burns, we need volume transfer pumps to push that much KPa per second through the H/E pipes to ensure that the plasma spends as much time possible exposed to direct heat.

Hmm...  I'll have to experiment on this, but I can see it working beautifully if we do it right.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: April 17, 2013, 01:02:19 pm »

another benefit is that if we are working there, access to a cold loop is almost trivial.
plasteel is also available in roboticist lab. we just need RD on our side :P
if only we could reach 20k degrees... I think that would be enough for a decent boom.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: April 17, 2013, 01:03:44 pm »

A bit outdated, but still pretty valid. Just ask the engineers for the subspace ansibles, transmitters, etc.

That guide is so out dated that trying to follow it is actually slower than just using stuff from within R&D. With the RD's help, you can easily get materials 5, engineering 4, plasma 4, bluespace 4, biological 5, power manip 5, eletromagnetic 5, and data theory 5. You just need acid from the chemist, and miner to get even more.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: April 17, 2013, 01:04:18 pm »

Ah good point... you need to get rid of that CO2 sooner or later...   So you'd extend the existing toxins furnace 2 tiles to the left, flooring over the open space, and removing the shutters. Then extend it down 2 tiles, meaning you'd be into the maintenance tunnel.  Then put an airlock leading out into space from there. If you want to be clever, you could even install a signaller to open the door remotely.

That'd give you pretty decently sized chamber, with all the functionality and hookups of the current chamber.  You'd have to remove some walls, and install 2 new walls and an airlock, but that's a lot less work than creating a whole new furnace.

But the bomb testing range would work too.  It's just going to be harder to pump gas into it, right?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: April 17, 2013, 01:16:57 pm »

another benefit is that if we are working there, access to a cold loop is almost trivial.
plasteel is also available in roboticist lab. we just need RD on our side :P
if only we could reach 20k degrees... I think that would be enough for a decent boom.

There isn't much plasteel in robotics. You'll get far more from mining. Plenty of time to do so if you lay out the plumbing and wall grids.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: April 17, 2013, 01:20:46 pm »

mining can give you more, but we don't always have a miner active enough to supply us. robotics supply is limited, but it would already allow us an huge capacity increase.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: April 17, 2013, 01:23:29 pm »

I think I have a better idea.  I'll explain in-round.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: April 17, 2013, 01:38:06 pm »

If you have to stick with the two-tile-wide furnace room, you can always make the pipes loop, with a pump keeping the plasma flowing around until you turned it off and connected a tank to fill.
Nothing important here, move along.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: April 17, 2013, 02:09:13 pm »

Or you could just breed some metal slimes. They give plasteel and regular metal right?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: April 17, 2013, 03:19:35 pm »

Yeah. Juggling slime breeding, construction, and bomb making is hard for a 1-2 man operation though.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: April 17, 2013, 03:38:09 pm »

I was the coolest Clown ever.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 1654