Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2119364 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #13275 on: January 19, 2014, 12:50:00 pm »

After going through the Tg Station Space Law i have to say i find it severly lacking. Not only in dealing with much of the Minor Stuff but also with the dealing with Cults.
Why do we not use the Baystation 12 Law?

http://baystation12.net/wiki/index.php?title=Space_Law

Crimes which Cause Material Damage carry a Labor Camp Penalty with them on top of that Life Sentences and Sentences over 20 Minutes are turned into Labor Camp Penalties:
Non-Permanent Labour Camp:
Vandalism
Petty Theft
Illegal Arrest/Detention/Holding
Failure to Execute an Order with Serious Consequences ( if the Station is Damaged)
Neglect of Duty
Infiltration (Since Doors get Damaged)
Unlawful Modification of AI/Cyborg Laws
Sabotage
Grand Theft
Manslaughter

Permanent Labour Camp:
Sedition
Murder
Mutiny
Grand Sabotage
Assaulting a Head of Staff
Crimes gathering above 40 Minutes of Penalty

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13276 on: January 19, 2014, 12:55:08 pm »

After going through the Tg Station Space Law i have to say i find it severly lacking. Not only in dealing with much of the Minor Stuff but also with the dealing with Cults.
Why do we not use the Baystation 12 Law?

http://baystation12.net/wiki/index.php?title=Space_Law

Crimes which Cause Material Damage carry a Labor Camp Penalty with them on top of that Life Sentences and Sentences over 20 Minutes are turned into Labor Camp Penalties:
Non-Permanent Labour Camp:
Vandalism
Petty Theft
Illegal Arrest/Detention/Holding
Failure to Execute an Order with Serious Consequences ( if the Station is Damaged)
Neglect of Duty
Infiltration (Since Doors get Damaged)
Unlawful Modification of AI/Cyborg Laws
Sabotage
Grand Theft
Manslaughter

Permanent Labour Camp:
Sedition
Murder
Mutiny
Grand Sabotage
Assaulting a Head of Staff
Crimes gathering above 40 Minutes of Penalty

I quite like having criminals having something to do. Especially non-permanents, since IIRC the way Labour Camp is set up on /tg/ code is based on productivity rather than time, so the station gets a steady flow of minerals and antags have something to do. It might need some tweaking, but laws are somewhat fluid anyway.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13277 on: January 19, 2014, 01:14:20 pm »

Eh, Space Law is open for interpreatation. BS12 space law is too RP-heavy for us. Permabrig (labor camp, w/e, have fun being reassigned to one of the most boring jobs on the station 5eva) for assaulting a head?

Cultists can be arrested by assuming that the only allowed religion aboard the station is the religion of the Chaplain, which makes some modicum of sense.

In other news:
LING ARM BLADES HOLY SHIT YES

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13278 on: January 19, 2014, 01:23:30 pm »

Gun mods are nice and all, but there really aren't that many variables to really fuck with. I mean, damage, yay. Noise, yay. What else? Aside from maybe a new gun allowing for Marauder-style off-screen aiming, is there really anything to DO?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13279 on: January 19, 2014, 01:23:55 pm »

Eh, Space Law is open for interpreatation. BS12 space law is too RP-heavy for us. Permabrig (labor camp, w/e, have fun being reassigned to one of the most boring jobs on the station 5eva) for assaulting a head?

Cultists can be arrested by assuming that the only allowed religion aboard the station is the religion of the Chaplain, which makes some modicum of sense.

In other news:
LING ARM BLADES HOLY SHIT YES

So, what you're saying it's worse than being sent to permabrig and not being able to do even a boring job? I agree, perma for assaulting a head might be a bit harsh, but it does make sense - those guys are the station command, it's srs bsnss if they need to be replaced. AND labor camp means you are out in space, making it somewhat difficult for sec to stop people doing a nice little spacewalk and breaking you the fuck out.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13280 on: January 19, 2014, 01:39:32 pm »

Well, yeah, maybe I was wrong, but bs12 law is probably a bit harsh for our playstyle.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13281 on: January 19, 2014, 01:51:38 pm »

Well, yeah, maybe I was wrong, but bs12 law is probably a bit harsh for our playstyle.

Yeah, I can see your point. But labor camping instead of jailing is an improvement.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13282 on: January 19, 2014, 02:23:05 pm »

If you guys find a way to automatically process the people and get them down there, please do. As it is, its a giant waste of time.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13283 on: January 19, 2014, 02:33:59 pm »

Well i like the job, so its not a waste of time, its the main job for the warden...

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13284 on: January 19, 2014, 02:53:35 pm »

Glloyd, if you're going to code S-com stuff into the game I'd gladly help. Haven't done any majors features for a while.

I may take you up on that offer shortly, I have some ideas that you may be able to help with. But for now...

Urist McStation: The Fluffening

So, as I mentioned earlier, with the addition of S-COM as canon, it gets annoying to rely on /tg/ fluff for our background/lore/whatever.

That's right.

After ages of talking about it, months of confusing our fluff with /tg/ and BS12 fluff, we're finally codifying this shit. Fluff is for IC additions to the world that people can use as background for roleplaying. I'm not talking about your fluff for your individual character. No, I'm talking about worldbuilding. Up to this point, we've been technically using /tg/ fluff.

The problem is that the more time passed, the more we developed our own mini-fluff that wasn't set down anywhere. We found that /tg/ fluff didn't suit us in some cases, and we took bits from BS12 in some cases, and the whole thing's a mess.

So now it's time for it. A solid core of UMcS fluff. For us to reference IC without any confusion.

With the S-COM fluff done, it gives us a minor source to draw from to build this world. In addition, we have /tg/ and BS12 to draw from in order to create our own unique fluff that serves our playstyle.

I'm sure that there are tons of great writers and worldbuilders in our playerbase, so now is your time to contribute. Wanna write suggestions for fluff? Write it down, then PM me it, and/or post it in the thread.

Here are the main topics for the fluff at the moment (If you want to suggest a topic that isn't covered here or on the S-COM fluff, just post in the thread)

Present Day

Nanotrasen

The Syndicate

Space WIzards Federation

Spider-Clan

Cult of Nar-Sie (probably put Nar-Sie fluff here too)

Important Locations (Planets, stations, places, etc.)

Urist McStation (Shit about the actual station, its purpose, etc.)

Minor Factions (Shit that we don't reference in game, but that you want to write about for fluff. Minor corporations, minor governments, etc.)

And whatever else you guys can think up that isn't already covered in S-COM fluff. (Lings and Xenos are covered in S-COM)

Handy links for inspiration:

UMcS S-COM fluff: http://pastebin.com/MRTF7cPp

/tg/ fluff: http://wiki.ss13.eu/index.php/Category:Backstory

BS12 fluff: http://baystation12.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category%3AFluff

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13285 on: January 19, 2014, 02:58:42 pm »

I'm just going to ask it here. Is Nanotransen capitalist? Some players argue that the lack of money makes it communist, but doesn't the whole point of Marxism as an economic ideal is to get rid of private corporations?

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13286 on: January 19, 2014, 03:00:44 pm »

Also if you have any media ideas like TV and music, PM me.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13287 on: January 19, 2014, 03:04:12 pm »

I'm just going to ask it here. Is Nanotransen capitalist? Some players argue that the lack of money makes it communist, but doesn't the whole point of Marxism as an economic ideal is to get rid of private corporations?
It's a private corporation. I think the biggest inspiration is Weyland-Yutani. It's a corrupt and greedy corporation which sees its crew and employees as expendable in the grand scheme of things. Definitely not communist, just because money is generally not implemented on station doesn't mean that it's a moneyless or classless society. Theoretically people are working there for wages afterwards or as part of debt slavery or something of the sort.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13288 on: January 19, 2014, 03:09:18 pm »

Urist McStation is the 'B' Ark from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (more specifically the Restaurant at the End of the Universe).
I've heard this headcanon today and it fits everything greatly.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13289 on: January 19, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »

Who is the captian in that case?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1654