Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 39518 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoullights - Zombie Elephants, Cruor and Silk [Succession]
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2013, 08:06:05 am »

Honestly, if we ever get a vampire (we actually did get one in the real first migration wave, whereupon I ended up having to savescum and which became the dream before 1st Malachite, 1001), and somebody does that, and it all ends happily with strawberry wine made of strawberries picked from the most evil forest in the world and the zombie elephants becoming our sleepless siege-killing pet guardians, I will consider the game over and won. Death itself would have become our puppy lap dog, the glum web-covered trees a cute little surface garden and the most terrifying creatures in existence the fortress mascots. It can be a community fort or whatever it wants to be from there on, or just pass into legend, because I don't know what could beat that, really.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2013, 11:24:44 am »

Well sign me up for the next one too :p but I've not had time these past few days but ill check the fort out tonight

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2013, 01:26:49 pm »

Pipeweed? How will trhat work? Also when vampires first came out me and somebody else figured out a fix to make them not lose speed due to Alcohol_Dependent. I forgot already but I can dig it up if it becomes an issue.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2013, 03:45:06 pm »

Vampires are alcohol dependent? I thought they weren't.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2013, 03:46:30 pm »

They are alcohol dependant, but paradoxically, they can't drink.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2013, 03:46:50 pm »

Vampires are alcohol dependent? I thought they weren't.

From what I know, they inherit the alcohol dependence from being a dwarf, BUT! they cannot drink due to being a vampire, and end up slowing down to a crawl.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2013, 07:19:11 pm »

Or, rather, they DON'T drink, because they don't get thirsty. Well, they do, but for blood, not booze.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 28, 2013, 02:39:57 am »

Well sign me up for the next one too :p but I've not had time these past few days but ill check the fort out tonight

No special hurry. Being somewhat active in the thread and finishing it by 2 weeks will be great. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we're looking forward to your updates, of course.

Pipeweed? How will trhat work? Also when vampires first came out me and somebody else figured out a fix to make them not lose speed due to Alcohol_Dependent. I forgot already but I can dig it up if it becomes an issue.

Thanks. I'm not sure it will, though. Vampires aren't that common, and this fort won't get too many migrants, unless they and the outpost liaisons stop getting slaughtered. Not all overseers like vampires, either, so he might end up becoming intimate with Urist McDrawbridge, as opposed to donating blood. Not everybody likes the idea of playing Vampire Fortress, and it will be up to whoever is in charge at that time to choose. I'm not even 100% sure I would do it, since it means ending all suspense. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Spoiler: Pipe-Weed (click to show/hide)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #293 on: March 28, 2013, 06:19:43 am »

Pipe-weed can be grown above ground and processed into tobacco products, which are valuable trade goods. Probably quite valuable, because it will hopefully be like, the dwarves have steel and gold, and we have this and flowers and porcelain. If it were possible I would like to make tobacco supplies slowly go down over time somehow due to people smoking, but I haven't been able to think up a good way to do it. The options I've come up with are 1) making it edible, so hobbits eat it, which is a little silly, 2) making it refuse, so it gets stockpiled in refuse piles and rots away, which is easily avoidable, not necessarily possible and a lot silly, 3) making a "smoking lounge" workshop that uses tobacco in a reaction to produce something attractive - hobbit poetry, maybe? - which is very contrived, and 4) making hobbits alcohol dependent, and tobacco the only alcohol they can make, making them tobacco dependent, which unfortunately means they'll drink tobacco and complain about not having had a drink lately, which is too ridiculous. So it will probably do nothing.

EDIT: Note to self, I just had a golden idea. If I can make smoking lounges produce happiness-generating mist (preferably around them, but in them is fine too) somehow, that will be perfect! Let's see.

EDIT2: Let's not discuss this more right now, though, so it doesn't make Ghoullights seem less important. Or let's discuss the possible future hobbit town and mod more, but by pm and not here.
Why not all of those things?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #295 on: March 28, 2013, 04:13:17 pm »

Why not all of those things?

Well, what can I say, for reasons named there in that post. :P
Silly, contrived, and ridiculous are not reasons to not do something.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 28, 2013, 05:13:43 pm »

Silly, contrived, and ridiculous are not reasons to not do something.

Not in themselves, no. In fact that's one lovely quote. Poignant as hell, and I'm going to think back to it when I start posting Ghoullights/other artwork. If I/SWIM ever gets it done. But, and this is really getting ahead of ourselves, I want the potential players at that time to feel like the universe they are in makes sense, and eating tobacco doesn't really, not to me at least. So a better solution is needed, if possible.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 28, 2013, 05:46:04 pm »

Lol, well, making sense is cool I guess :p

Also I hope my idea will work, as I plan to have an airlock system of tunnels, branching out from the fort, going out to the 4 sides of the map, and then 2 more tunnels going out to each of the corners, and having meeting halls in the main 4 tunnels, to be used only when migrants come, though I've never attempted this style of enterance ways before and have no idea if it will work, we shall see!!!!

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 28, 2013, 05:57:36 pm »

Great, that sounds like it will work. Suggest you add some cage traps in the tunnels to catch any zombies pursuing the migrants or just wandering in.

Instead of meeting areas you could create squads that are permanently stationed down there, then assign migrants to them as they enter the map. That may sometimes give them a better chance of survival as they will head straight down there not fearing the zombies, sometimes worse chances as they may decide to challenge a zombie elephant to a wrestling match. Or alternatively could use burrows to get them inside. Both let you control which tunnel they use. Could probably use some experimentation to find out which works best.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 28, 2013, 07:42:53 pm »

Mhmmm, definately going to include cage traps and a fair amount of them, also a nice 1 tile wide tunnel so there's no escape, if I feel real crafty I might make a bridge for extra security :p
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36