Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 39553 times)

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoullights - Zombie Elephants, Cruor and Silk [Succession]
« Reply #300 on: March 28, 2013, 08:17:33 pm »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOK the save is installed and loaded up and ........... just wow ...i found the end of the water and th beginning of the water and .... wow ... i am unsure of how to solve this issue .... it will require .... thought ... lots of thought ... cuzz that water runs right through the heart of the fort ... and seems to be flowing quite quickly ... ummmmmm yea ... :P

also why is there blood on the walls ... and dwarf puss .. why do we have pussy dwarves? and is the water coming from that smaller peice or all of it?

Edit - ok i started an escape passageway to rescue our trapped miners, they shall dig UP and hope that they can out race the rising water, though , there is a lot of area down here for it to drain into , i already know that it will be completely flooded even if i manage to get it stopped ... so this tunnel will be needed, other then that i hope that i can manage to open up a wall keeping the caverns out in hopes of water draining out that way, it might cost the lives of 2 dwarves but its worth it

Edit 2 - so i managed to get some of it drain off, got a wall open and luckily a miners right there and hes digging a new water channel ... so ... the other guy, someone by the name of Edzul Nabasiton the planter decided, i cant reach my bedroom so ... ima sleep here where the water is probably going to sweep me away down deeper into the fort, oh well!

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx167/LadyDestra/Dwarf%20Fortress/Edzultheplantersleepingattempttosavethefortduringthegreatfloodof1003secondflood.jpg
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:35:02 pm by Destra »

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 28, 2013, 09:31:31 pm »

First update, the rest will probably be sunday or monday ... just to wet your appetite :P

19th of Hematite - 1003 Early summer

So here i was sitting in the dinning room , eating my supper, when i hear a gushing of water. I think to myself as I peek out the door, "My what a wonderful waterfall flowing down the stairs .... but isnt that just a little ... daft?"

I decide, eh its someone elses problem, and go back to supper. Suddenly a soaking wet dwarf bursts in, scaring me half to death and shoves THE talasmen into my face screaming, "YOUR IN CHARGE YOU FIX IT." And runs off ... I stare at the peice of metal and continue to think ... "Me? In charge? Im only 12 ... well ... i have the talasmen of the overseer now ... time to make some changes.

Quickly i get a digging party to start working on getting an escape tunnel down, every dwarf knows that in the event of a flood, to dig up, and hope to reach the surface before the water gets you, i understand that there is a lot of room for the water to go down there so hopefully they will have enough time to complete it and escape. But as to fixing the problem, i would like to try to get a floor hatch in place to block the water from actually flowing down the stairs, if that fails then i shall try to get walls built to stop the water from flowing into the workshop areas, baring that ... well ... we can dig a new fort if it really comes to that we have all our food stocks above water. Praise whoever thought of that idea. It makes my job a lot easier.

I hear two dwarves calling from just below the workshops, it seems they want to remove some walls keeping critters of the cavern out, i yell down, "GO AHEAD!" and hope they hear me, it seems one of them may be a miner, cant hear much over the rushing water. Hopefully he has enough sense to expand what possible drainage there is, maybe even channel down deeper so the water flows in there. IF we can only get it to stop flooding the fort itself and off into the caverns, as long as those dont fill up we have a chance. I really doubt those caverns can actually FILL with water so we may be left with a waterfall if worst comes to worse.

Our Masons completed the floor hatch in which i hope to use to solve this issue, i ordered the child next to me to take it up there and secure it to the floor before the water surges forward and washes over it, he diligently goes and does so but reports back a little while later that the water is too much. I snort at the comment and look at another likely dwarf saying, "You! Go secure that hatch, the fortress is at stake here!" He rushes off to seceed where the child failed .... Iton Sobiralth, our weaponsmith, he surely cannot fail.

22nd of Hematite - 1003 Early summer

It was a long and brutal fight, the enemy surged and fought with all its might, but our inginuity was too much for this hated enemy. We have success! My soldiers of the glorious Ghoullights! The mighty mudstone floor hatch is in place! All praise your mighty overlady Destra! All praise meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 28, 2013, 09:59:25 pm »

Actually, the runoff system is already complete, so the chamber can't flood.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 28, 2013, 10:49:13 pm »

awesome, where does it run off TO? :P

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 29, 2013, 04:21:35 am »

Wow, good start! Good thing the flooding will start to subside now. Remuthra's drainage chamber leads off the map. However, there's also other stuff on the same level as it is that I think may fill with water first, and then it won't get all the water out. Which on the other hand might be a non-issue since we may have enough space down there to spread the water so thin it'll evaporate either way, once the aquifer leak is plugged. I think the blood on the walls is because the water is actually surging out of the aquifer with such force it slammed whoever breached it into the wall.

Draining it into the caverns is creative, but be super careful no trolls or such get in. I don't think we have a military of any kind and zombie trolls are just bad.

Edit: Also, I second that HELL YEAH

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 29, 2013, 04:33:50 am »

Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 29, 2013, 12:15:42 pm »

Lol they cant get in unless they fly, it was above the cavern floor, though shortly after i openned it a flying forgotten beast was spotted near there .... i was like uhhhhh make me hatches now please ... and so its now covered in hatches, now its just a zombie problem inside the fort ..... more on this upon sunday or monday! :P

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 29, 2013, 02:12:02 pm »

The flood was dealt with, and immediately there's another zombie crisis? Man, this fort just can't get a break. It's Armok's personal punching bag. I guess we should feel honored that the rng, Armok, some god of chaos or whatever you believe in thinks we can take it.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 29, 2013, 03:13:21 pm »

That's exactly why we need the dishwasher up and running. This fortress is overflowing with dirty dishes.  :P
(Although I doubt you would have time to prime the dishwasher anyway. It requires a lot of ammo.)

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 29, 2013, 05:37:08 pm »

Lol that dishwasher wouldn't help in this case, this is more of an internal affairs matter then one for the outside world, hopefully we don't lose too many dwarves but cage traps! If the next overseer wonders why there's cage traps everywhere, this is why :p

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #310 on: March 29, 2013, 11:59:41 pm »

Dishwasher? That sounds like it saves time and effort. That's not dwarvern at all.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 30, 2013, 02:35:12 am »

Let's hope we don't. If I should die, become a zombie and get cagetrapped, wall me in and release me in a room with my phantom silk left mitten so we can spend eternity together. Won't make for good journal entries anymore, but would make me such a happy soulless mutilated husk of a dwarf.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2013, 03:52:40 am »

Well, you could serve as an eteral reminder of the fortresses purpose. Over the years the dwarves would forget that they walled you in and the inly thing your undead, brainless mind can thing of is phantom silk.

'Hey Urist, what are we actually doing here? The fortress founder said something about ... nah, do you know?'
'Hmh, I'm sure it had somehting to do with those pesky spiders. I squished 5 of them yesterday. I swear, there were going to web me in in my sleep. I still have silk in my beard!'
'Really? Nevermind, that doesn't help me. If only Halfling was still among the living, he would surely tell us what to do...'

*mumbling from beyond the walls
'Brrrrrrraaains, PHAANTOM SSSSSILK, my miiiiiitten, braaaaains....'
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 30, 2013, 04:04:31 am »

So, all in all, things would be pretty much exactly the same they are now, except this craving I have for fresh dwarf brains. :D

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 30, 2013, 10:12:22 am »

Take good care of your undead friends, because sooner or later you'll join them.
- Ghoullights saying
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36