Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 76

Author Topic: UnReal World - Now on Steam! (3.51 Stable, 29th Jun. 2018)  (Read 168110 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.16 Beta, 21st Feb 2013)
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2013, 08:59:47 am »

I wish I had time to get back into this xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2013, 09:29:11 am »

I rolled a character with zero trapping skill, way up north with the Seal-Tribe.

This means that fox that keeps terrorising my camp just sees those deadfall traps baited with bream as a free lunch ...

DAMN YOU, FOX!

I think I need to make me some javelins ...  >:(

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2013, 09:56:30 am »

Fisher-girl is doing well. She sold a roasted pike and her spare, low-quality spear for carving axe.

Two game-months in, she has almost complete hut, stockpile of wood and more fish than she can eat at once. Plenty of perch, breams and pikes in that lake I've settled at.

Time to re-visit the Koulainen village or something and see what else they can sell me for fried fish :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2013, 10:20:24 am »

I'm having zero luck with baited traps. Nothing ever, ever, ever comes near the place I chose to settle. Bit silly of me, really.

But in my defense, I thought it would be good to block off this narrow passage between two lakes. By 'narrow', I mean a few squares across. But I suppose if there's marshland on one side and forest on the other, none of the forest critters care to pass through into the marsh, so my trapfence is useless.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2013, 11:05:25 am »

I'm having zero luck with baited traps. Nothing ever, ever, ever comes near the place I chose to settle. Bit silly of me, really.

But in my defense, I thought it would be good to block off this narrow passage between two lakes. By 'narrow', I mean a few squares across. But I suppose if there's marshland on one side and forest on the other, none of the forest critters care to pass through into the marsh, so my trapfence is useless.

Shouldn't be useless because of that. Might just not be good until later. Forest Raindeer, I know, like to wander between marshland and forests, so you may just need to wait until later in the year. I know my trap fence between a marsh and a forest didn't actually get me much until winter. Just caught a Stag with it, in fact!

That said, I feel like some areas are just inherently worse for trapping than others. Not so much biome as particular location.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2013, 11:57:15 am »

My skilled fisher-and-timbercraft girl just drowned. Next time I won't be trying to swim through 'one-tile' river >.>

She survived 2 months and had nice cozy timberhouse for herself, not to mention those 30 different roasted fishes :c
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2013, 12:01:31 pm »

Got a longbow and a kamolais spear on my kaumolais character in my first week thanks to a bear and a stag kill. Life is good. Managed to one hit a stag with the longbow, and the spear really messed up a Njerpez fast. Anyway, are these the best weapons in their categories, or can I upgrade further?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2013, 12:02:43 pm »

@Haspen: That happened to me once, too. Really great character who was doing well. Tried to swim a river with a decent swim skill and the ritual that bumps it up. Got halfway across the river and drowned. I think she'd have lived if I had removed all my stuff before trying to cross, but that would have defeated the purpose of crossing in the first place.

Swimming is...pretty much never worth it in this game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2013, 12:03:45 pm »

You've the best bow and the best spear. Northern spear is almost as good, but it doesn't have an edge attack like Kaumolais spear.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2013, 12:04:07 pm »

Punts are what, 30lb? Getting one is always high priority for me, and I've never even tried swimming because it's a really lame way to die.

Hm, kaumolais is better because of edge? Is edge attack actually worth it? I always just use pierce.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2013, 12:11:58 pm »

You need a fairly decent swimming skill before being able to cross a river. If you have a character with base swimming (like kaumo), you should be able to do it. Watch your fatigue and the messages (swimming with ease, moderately, etc).
It's possible to learn swimming from 0 (though a bit long).
I personnally prefer swimming, because you don't have to carry a punt or raft (nor to buy/make one). An advantage of boats is the ability to carry lots of stuff too (following a river, and cutting trees that are near the shore, so that I don't have to haul them).
Punts are 30lb, but you have to buy it, while rafts are 80lbs, but you can make one.

And for spears, use only pierce, it's way better than using edge or blunt (for spear only). So Northern is pretty much the same as Kaumo anyway.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2013, 12:14:32 pm »

@Haspen: That happened to me once, too. Really great character who was doing well. Tried to swim a river with a decent swim skill and the ritual that bumps it up. Got halfway across the river and drowned. I think she'd have lived if I had removed all my stuff before trying to cross, but that would have defeated the purpose of crossing in the first place.

Swimming is...pretty much never worth it in this game.

Overconfidence is bane of mine, lately :P
SigFlags!

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2013, 12:41:20 pm »

So I started as fisherman. Nets are godsend.

Now because there's my tribe's village south, and I need to get some specialized axes:

What is better for trade, prepared fish (roasted, for example) or raw ones? I have several perch and few trouts, are they valuable? :P

Prepared is generally better, also helps if you have a high cooking skill as that bumps up the value, if you can get delicious (==masterwork food) then I think its worth twice as much as a regular thing. So really the best trade good to make depends on your skills and tools, fishing and cooking is actually a decent one because you don't need special tools to get delicious food at a high cooking level but you will need quality tools to consistently make quality crafts even at high skill levels.

Just wondering though, does bait have to be raw or does it not matter? I've got a bunch of fox traps baited with assortments of raw and cooked food in a place where foxes are frequently seen and usually have fresh tracks and I have the fox hunting ritual and the blessing trap ritual yet I can't get a single damned fox! They don't even seem to go for the bait.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:14 pm »

I have no idea, really. Raw meat seems to work best, but I've also had foxes just randomly get caught in a fox trap that wasn't even baited. *shrug*
Come play Mafia with us!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2013, 01:11:04 pm »

Would you rather eat cornflakes or cornflakes with milk?

Depends on the man. I think both work just as well, maybe with the raw meat being a little bit better.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 76