Gandalf the White
- 46 (79.3%)
Dumbledore
- 10 (17.2%)
tie
- 2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: epic battle to the death : Gandalf the While vs Dumbledore  (Read 13997 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: epic battle to the death : Gandalf the While vs Dumbledore
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 02:18:18 am »

Gandalf is the Batman of middle earth*, never using his skill to anything but only preparing and planning the shit out of everything.

Dumbledore does that, to an extent: all the seven books are about is mad schemes to get to voldemort to kill a piece of himself and to give him a faulty wand for the final confrontation.

So, both in a grass field unprepared? They are just not that kind of wizard who randomly jumps at people throat.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 02:31:28 am »

Sorry- his body isn't immortal. Him reincarnating in a different body I'd still count as him losing the round.
If someone could regrow his legs and arms, would he be amputated if he lost one ?

If the character reincarnating means they haven't lost, it means that characters who can reincarnate can never lose ever, which isn't very fun.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 02:33:53 am »

Let's compare the two:

Robes: Tie. Both their robes are equally useless in the fight.
Staff/Wand: Tie. I'm going to assume that the Elder Wand's supposed "cannot be defeated in battle" powers do not work on Maiar.
Swords: Sword of Gryffindor, hands down if we're working on the assumption that this is post-Chamber of Secrets Dumbledore. That Basilisk venom infused into it is no joke. Otherwise, tie since there are no orks present for Glamdring to work on.
Animal Companions: Tie. As per the stated conditions, it's just those two. Gandalf does not get to bring Shadowfax and Dumbledore does not get to bring Fawkes.
Summoning to Giant Eagles: Dumbledore wins this one, oddly enough. He can transfigure them out of rocks while Gandalf has to send a butterfly to ask Gwaihir for help.
Ability to Make Light: Tie. Maybe slightly in favour of Gandalf, but I'm pretty sure Dumbledore can do Lumos wordlessly.
Shoving People Around By Pointing Sticks At Them: Tie. Gandalf does this with his staff, Dumbledore does it with Depulso.
Ability to Fill Swords With Lightning:Gandalf wins this one. No Harry Potter character ever does this.
Shooting Lightning At People:Again, no Harry Potter character actually seems to shoot lightning at people.
Blinding People With Bright Lights:Tie. Gandalf can do this, and Lumos Solem is apparently taught to 11 year olds in the Harry Potter universe.
Magic Shields That Block Stuff:Tie. Gandalf does this against the Balrog and Dumbledore definitely knows Protego.
Fire Summoning:Victory here to Dumbledore, who can do Fiendfyre, which cannot be put out with water or magic.
Destroying Bridges While You Stand On Them: Tied. Both are equally capable of doing so, Gandalf with his staff and Dumbledore with Reducto.
Teleporting: Dumbledore can Apparate. Gandalf cannot.
Turning Invisible:Dumbledore can use the Disillusionment Charm. Gandalf cannot.
Mind Reading: Dumbledore has Legilimency. Gandalf does not.
Transfiguring Bits of Dirt Into Tigers: Gandalf cannot do this; Dumbledore can.

So, yeah, the score is 8 ties, 2 to Gandalf, 6 to Dumbledore out of 18 total.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 02:37:17 am »

While Gandalf is certainly one of the most powerful people, magically, within his own universe... In the Harry Potter universe his abilities are much less impressive.

I cannot think of a single feat Gandalf does that Dumbledor cannot do much more easily or better other then being "immortal" or that we can assume he can do.

This is one of those battles where someone just isn't that powerful in another universe.

It would be like using Movie Version Bruce Lee against Spiderman. While certainly Bruce Lee can beat everyone up in his universe with ease, he isn't going to get too far against his opponent.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:39:01 am by Neonivek »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 02:41:36 am »

You forgot Played by a better actor: Gandalf. Micheal Gambon would make a better Santa than Dumbledore. Also he was in Ali G Indahouse. (Dumbledore if we count Richard Harris though)
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 02:45:18 am »

I don't think Avada Kedavra is all it's made out to be. It says in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them that there has only been one reported chimera killing by a wizard, who was then so tired that he fell off his pegasus. If you could just zap the chimera with Avada Kedavra it wouldn't be so hard.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 02:47:49 am »

I don't think Avada Kedavra is all it's made out to be. It says in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them that there has only been one reported chimera killing by a wizard, who was then so tired that he fell off his pegasus. If you could just zap the chimera with Avada Kedavra it wouldn't be so hard.

Most wizards never learn how to use it, what with it being illegal murdermancy and all. Which is why I didn't count it in favour of Dumbledore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 02:48:40 am »

Avada Kedavra is a big deal in the Harry Potter universe for two reasons
1) It cannot be stopped by magical means.
2) It cannot be cured

In a world where every spell has a counter spell and every possible infliction has a cure... it is pretty much the Dynamite to their games of Rock, Sissor, Paper.

Had all your bones turned to mush and you have been given a brain labotomy? There is a spell for that.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 02:53:03 am »

Yeah, sure, you can kill humans with Avada Kedavra just fine... but if you go up against something more powerful like a chimera or maiar it might not be as effective.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 02:53:12 am »

Let's compare the two:

Robes: Tie. Both their robes are equally useless in the fight.
Gandalf gets points for style, though.
Staff/Wand: Tie. I'm going to assume that the Elder Wand's supposed "cannot be defeated in battle" powers do not work on Maiar.
I think that's more of an urban legend, but it's a powerful wand nevertheless so w/e.
Swords: Sword of Gryffindor, hands down if we're working on the assumption that this is post-Chamber of Secrets Dumbledore. That Basilisk venom infused into it is no joke. Otherwise, tie since there are no orks present for Glamdring to work on.
On the other hand, Gandalf is actually skilled with swords. Dumbledore's the squishy mage archetype up to 11.
Animal Companions: Tie. As per the stated conditions, it's just those two. Gandalf does not get to bring Shadowfax and Dumbledore does not get to bring Fawkes.
Oh, they're there. They're just busy having a sweet-ass [s]Ride animation in the background.
Summoning to Giant Eagles: Dumbledore wins this one, oddly enough. He can transfigure them out of rocks while Gandalf has to send a butterfly to ask Gwaihir for help.
I thought Deus Ex Machina was Gandalf's personal spell? :V
Ability to Make Light: Tie. Maybe slightly in favour of Gandalf, but I'm pretty sure Dumbledore can do Lumos wordlessly.
Gandalf has the disadvantage of wearing white, so if light would become an issue then he would be easier to spot.
Shoving People Around By Pointing Sticks At Them: Tie. Gandalf does this with his staff, Dumbledore does it with Depulso.
Alternatively, hollywood-shotgun at close range :V
Ability to Fill Swords With Lightning:Gandalf wins this one. No Harry Potter character ever does this.
Dumbledore probably can negate those +2d6 electric damage, though.
Shooting Lightning At People:Again, no Harry Potter character actually seems to shoot lightning at people.
But they're very good at casting Magic Missiles.
Blinding People With Bright Lights:Tie. Gandalf can do this, and Lumos Solem is apparently taught to 11 year olds in the Harry Potter universe.
One would think that, being wizards, they would be prepared for that kind of stuff, but I just cannot imagine Dumbledore wearing sunglasses :V
Magic Shields That Block Stuff:Tie. Gandalf does this against the Balrog and Dumbledore definitely knows Protego.
Gandalf's is probably stronger though, what with being able to block a goddamn monstrosity made of shadow and fire.
Fire Summoning:Victory here to Dumbledore, who can do Fiendfyre, which cannot be put out with water or magic.
Gandalf started wearing a robe of fire immunity ever since Moria :V
Destroying Bridges While You Stand On Them: Tied. Both are equally capable of doing so, Gandalf with his staff and Dumbledore with Reducto.
Gandalf does it with more style, though. On the other hand, Dumbledore would be less at risk of falling down the bridge himself.
Teleporting: Dumbledore can Apparate. Gandalf cannot.
Wizards always arrive on time. If one chose that "on time" meant "within a second"... :V
Turning Invisible:Dumbledore can use the Disillusionment Charm. Gandalf cannot.
I'm pretty certain that Gandalf has Glitterdust prepared for that exact reason.
Mind Reading: Dumbledore has Legilimency. Gandalf does not.
It's not something that you can use in the middle of a duel, though. Also, Gandalf not being human, it might not even be safe.
Transfiguring Bits of Dirt Into Tigers: Gandalf cannot do this; Dumbledore can.
Joke's on you, Gandalf has a few hobbits up his sleeve. Literally :V
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:02:50 am by Darvi »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 02:56:34 am »

Yeah, sure, you can kill humans with Avada Kedavra just fine... but if you go up against something more powerful like a chimera or maiar it might not be as effective.

I believe Avada Kedavra outright kills everything it touches.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 02:58:43 am »

Still, minor god in mortal form>really good wizard.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 03:13:19 am »

Still, minor god in mortal form>really good wizard.

Calling somebody a god means nothing until you explain what advantage that gives.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 03:14:59 am »

At the very least a supernatural fear-inducing ability.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 03:19:57 am »

At the very least a supernatural fear-inducing ability.

Unless Dumbledore is an atheist, in which case Gandalf ceases to exist.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10