Gandalf the White
- 46 (79.3%)
Dumbledore
- 10 (17.2%)
tie
- 2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: epic battle to the death : Gandalf the While vs Dumbledore  (Read 13961 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
epic battle to the death : Gandalf the While vs Dumbledore
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:37:12 am »

The scenario:

Both are just walking along in their respective universe, going to the nearest pub or whatever. Suddenly, a dimensional rift opens and transports them to an infinite grassy field. Now, they are both good guys, so let's assume they get this feeling/urge that the other is pure evil and must be destroyed.

Now, let's also assume two more scenarios, except one in a swamp, and another in a very dense forest.

Dumbledore has only his robes, the Elder Wand, and the Sword of Gryffindor. Gandalf the White has his robes, staff, and Glamdring.

Best 2 out of 3 fights wins.

What does the bay12 community have to say? Let the nerd war commence!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: epic battle to the death : Gandalf the While vs Dumbledore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 01:05:43 am »

Obligatory argument:
Gandalf wins because he's an immortal angel while Dumbledore is just a man. A very good man, but just a man.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 01:10:50 am »

That's pretty much what it comes down to. It's sort of like pitting a fairly skilled real-world martial artist against Kenshiro of Fist of the North Star.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 01:16:25 am »

IIRC, Avada Kedavra pretty much annihilates everything living it touches, and Gandalf isn't actually immortal hence him being wrecked by a Balrog. Sure, he could reincarnate and stuff, but I'm fairly sure his body being killed would count as the round having been won by Dumbledore. I'm not saying that Harry Potter is better written or anything, but I do think that Dumbledore would win the fight.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:20:11 am »

Is the Killing Curse a spell Dumbledore would allow himself to cast? I, uh, never actually read far enough to find out, but it seems like the kind of arbitrary moral restriction he might have.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 01:27:39 am »

Is the Killing Curse a spell Dumbledore would allow himself to cast? I, uh, never actually read far enough to find out, but it seems like the kind of arbitrary moral restriction he might have.

I can't recall him ever casting it, but I wouldn't put it beyond him, especially if he (as the OP states) believes the other is pure evil and must be destroyed.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:43:47 am »

I can't recall him ever casting it, but I wouldn't put it beyond him, especially if he (as the OP states) believes the other is pure evil and must be destroyed.
True, but if they are both using their full powers, Gandalf still far outclasses Dumbledore. In the books he hardly ever uses magic and he killed a Balrog. With his full power, he wins.
Although in my head canon inspired by FD, I think it was FD, Dumbledore is a fragment of Gandalf that was sent into another dimension when he was killed, embodying a fraction of his power.
Sig! Onol

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:44:46 am »

Gandalf isn't actually immortal hence him being wrecked by a Balrog.
Well, he's a Maiar, so he's pretty much immortal until the end of the Middle Earth world.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:45:22 am »

True, but if they are both using their full powers, Gandalf still far outclasses Dumbledore. In the books he hardly ever uses magic and he killed a Balrog. With his full power, he wins.
Although in my head canon inspired by FD, I think it was FD, Dumbledore is a fragment of Gandalf that was sent into another dimension when he was killed, embodying a fraction of his power.

It's not a question of comparing their 'power levels' or something. I'm sure Avada Kedavra would kill a Balrog too. It's a spell that kills anything living; it's absurdly stupid, and it would win Dumbledore the fight.

Gandalf isn't actually immortal hence him being wrecked by a Balrog.
Well, he's a Maiar, so he's pretty much immortal until the end of the Middle Earth world.

Sorry- his body isn't immortal. Him reincarnating in a different body I'd still count as him losing the round.
I've played some mafia.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 01:46:52 am »

It's not a question of comparing their 'power levels' or something. I'm sure Avada Kedavra would kill a Balrog too. It's a spell that kills anything living; it's absurdly stupid, and it would win Dumbledore the fight.
Gandalf interrupts Avada Kerdavada: Used Dodge, then went One-Winged Angel.
Sig! Onol

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 01:50:12 am »

Gandalf interrupts Avada Kerdavada: Used Dodge, then went One-Winged Angel.

Dumbledore's supposed to be the most skilled duelist (bar Voldemort) in the Harry Potter universe, and the Avada Kedavra spell is relatively quick to cast. I think with a few shots one of them would hit.
I've played some mafia.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 01:50:28 am »

Dumbledore interrupts Avada KEdavra: Realized he can't possibly reliably hit Gandalf with all these dang birds and horses.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 02:12:12 am »

Sorry- his body isn't immortal. Him reincarnating in a different body I'd still count as him losing the round.
If someone could regrow his legs and arms, would he be amputated if he lost one ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10