Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: You're a Hive Queen.  (Read 6813 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: You're a Hive Queen.
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 03:37:51 pm »

Can I suggest some long-term goals?

Working on a smart-bug.

Colonize the badlands because we can.

Steam power! Railways, choo choo!

Stone buildings. (Badlands have stone, right? :3)

As for now: Moar workers, and get some farms up, and grab a few pseudo-bison to tame for delicious meats.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 03:50:16 pm »

All the grass on the plains is edible.  And you also have the grazers you could kill.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 05:14:22 pm »

Just because it's edible doesn't mean we can't farm more calorie-intense foods. And taming is for more than just meat, we can use them as work animals as well. :3
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 05:27:25 pm »

You've decided to name yourself Annie!  When this announcement is made to your liaison he looks at you quizzically, but say that his lady doesn't have anything against the name.
You briefly toy with the idea of making a mushroom farm, it would give you food you don't need to send anything outside for, but then you realise that you have no mushrooms or spores with which to start such a farm.  You put it on the back burner for now.
You have your workers go out into the plains proper to start to construction of a farm.  They harvest all the grass that is growing in the designated area, giving you two more months of food.  In addition to this you attempt to have a couple of workers coax some of the large grazers into following them.  Unfortunately, the instant they get too close all of them form up into what amounts to a solid wall, and all of them have rather pointy looking horns.  One of them that didn't get there in time is now cut off.  Your workers try to corral it towards the copse but it charges, killing one, but before it can strike down another the workers band together and kill it.  Messily.  You wont be getting any food out of this.  During all of this there are a couple of the large solitary predators stalking around, but they don't engage the workers when there is so many of them.
The smaller pack hunters that you evicted from the copse of trees don't come back this week.
You deposit a clutch of 35 workers eggs in the hatchery.
You decide that it's unseemly for you to sleep with you spawn, maybe you should make yourself a lair?
What will you do next week?

---Required actions---
 -Decide what to farm
 -Determine next weeks clutch
 -Expand the hives?
 -Make yourself a lair?
 -Something else?

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Surroundings (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 05:35:20 pm »

A note on the political structure.
You serve as the equivalent of a medieval count.  Your liege lady is effectively a duke, and there is a King(Queen of queens, really) above her.  Drones are generally the closest there is to lords, since they're almost always under the control of their parent queens, although it is possibly to sever your connection with a drone in order to turn it into a free drone, this allows it to control other bugs given to it, but it cannot lay eggs, meaning it's stuck with whatever they're given.  You've heard rumours of civilizations that are ruled by drones, and the queens are kept hostage for the purpose of egg laying.  Although these are almost certainly just mosquito tales.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 05:40:42 pm »

Send some workers to catalog the trees and underbrush for any especially useful woods or edible plants (grains, berries, hard-woods, fruit trees, etc)

While they're doing that, send an expedition with a few of the remaining workers with a warrior to the river, again to catalog. Focus on grains and such, that might have a chance to survive planting in the plains.

Build a warehouse.

Build a lair, with the entrance built into a guard-house on the surface. The guard-house should be expandable into a kind of keep when we have the know-how, time, and material. But for now, make it large enough to defend, and with a second-entrance to a worker-den where they can hide, in case we need to defend against a large number of predators.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:42:25 pm by Descan »

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 05:43:02 pm »

Send some workers to catalog the trees and underbrush for any especially useful woods or edible plants (grains, berries, hard-woods, fruit trees, etc)

While they're doing that, send an expedition with a few of the remaining workers with a warrior to the river, again to catalog. Focus on grains and such, that might have a chance to survive planting in the plains.

Build a warehouse.

Build a lair, with the entrance built into a guard-house on the surface. The guard-house should be expandable into a kind of keep when we have the know-how, time, and material. But for now, make it large enough to defend, and with a second-entrance to a worker-den, in case we need to defend against a large number of predators.
There already is a warehouse, and seeds are already available.  In addition to that, there is no available materials for the building of any surface structure.  Also, the journey to the river would be a very long one, since it's about 50 kilometers to the south west.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 05:44:08 pm »

Okay, what kind of seeds do we have?

I still say catalog the copse, especially since we don't have any material.

Scratch the journey until we have time and/or quicker way to travel.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 05:46:55 pm »

Okay, what kind of seeds do we have?

I still say catalog the copse, especially since we don't have any material.

Scratch the journey until we have time and/or quicker way to travel.
Grains, vegetables, fruits and the like.  Also, the stuff on the prairie is a grain, and is rather nutritious.  Just also rather bland.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 05:50:06 pm »

Okay, in that case plant some fruits for the taste. Maybe apple porridge, eventually? :P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 06:11:55 pm »

Wait, Annie?
What happened to
Plains.
Let us name ourselves ... Fam-vib!

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 06:28:19 pm »

Build a nursery to raise and teach the new clutch. Also, clear a smal area for the soldiers to spar in, to keep them in tip-top shape.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 06:32:38 pm »

Build a nursery to raise and teach the new clutch. Also, clear a smal area for the soldiers to spar in, to keep them in tip-top shape.
They don't need to be taught, and they hatching includes them maturing to full size.  The warriors likewise don't need to improve their sparring at all.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 06:46:24 pm »

Oh, nevermind then. Just expand the hives to accomodate the clutch.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 06:54:43 pm »

That grass should sound simple to farm, if I know anything about growing grass. Just dump the seeds and apply water.

Farm the grass too.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8