Advanced search  

Poll

Placeholder

- 2 (25%)
- 2 (25%)
- 4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40

Author Topic: You are the Head of a Hydra Series (OOC/Applications)(Potentially being revived)  (Read 57148 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: You are the head of a hydra. (OOC/Applications)
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2013, 07:25:54 pm »

First off, I said that the lizards wouldn't be a deterrence.

Second off, not everything is DF.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2013, 07:27:13 pm »

First off, I said that the lizards wouldn't be a deterrence.

Second off, not everything is DF.
But most stuff on these forums are.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2013, 07:29:01 pm »

Hmm, fair enough on both counts.

But if a crack squad of fanatical bodyguards and the fact that we're a hydra don't deter, being a 'god' might not either...

In any case, we should try to bring a chunk of our lizard civ with us, as they'll provide both intelligence, (perhaps secret police), and body-guarding functions.

As far as that goes, I figure gobbos'd be more receptive to us bringing our own servants, (and therefore saving them the trouble), than dwarves.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2013, 07:32:29 pm »

Hmm, fair enough on both counts.

But if a crack squad of fanatical bodyguards and the fact that we're a hydra don't deter, being a 'god' might not either...
Apples and oranges.
The worry of assassination is if we take "legal" methods to take power in goblin society.
The god idea is if we take power in dwarven society.

In any case, we should try to bring a chunk of our lizard civ with us, as they'll provide both intelligence, (perhaps secret police), and body-guarding functions.
+1

As far as that goes, I figure gobbos'd be more receptive to us bringing our own servants, (and therefore saving them the trouble), than dwarves.
I'd imagine dwarves wouldn't be opposed to them...but since there's no goblin civs around, the point is moot.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2013, 07:39:32 pm »

Welp, I already touched on how to neutralize the gobbo threat, so I'll leave it there.

Question: how do we convince the dwarves we're gods? (do we have any info on their pantheon?)

eh...within three km at least, but point taken. damn.

-edit
Our civ is based around master thievery: who are they stealing from? Those three civs within reach...elves, humans & dwarves. ---Which of those has the most shinies? The dwarves might not be very hospitable towards our servants at all.
Gobbos will have had no grudges with them, as they are outside theft range.

-edit
Hey, uh, if we're going to the dwarves...cage traps.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:01:51 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2013, 08:39:57 pm »

Welp, I already touched on how to neutralize the gobbo threat, so I'll leave it there.
The bodyguard idea?
Didn't I point out that that wouldn't stop anyone willing/capable to kill a hydra, and that wouldn't happen if we became a dwarven god?

Question: how do we convince the dwarves we're gods? (do we have any info on their pantheon?)
Same way dragons get worshiped by elves or humans.

eh...within three km at least, but point taken. damn.
We don't know of any goblin civs. The nearest goblins could be 4 or 4,000 klicks away for all we know.

-edit
Our civ is based around master thievery: who are they stealing from? Those three civs within reach...elves, humans & dwarves. ---Which of those has the most shinies? The dwarves might not be very hospitable towards our servants at all.
True.

Gobbos will have had no grudges with them, as they are outside theft range.
They're also outside of walking range.

-edit
Hey, uh, if we're going to the dwarves...cage traps.
We're too big and strong for most cages. Certainly too big and strong for goblin-intended cages.
Again, not everything is DF.
Sig

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2013, 08:58:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1. You pointed out that it wouldn't deter it, not that it wouldn't mitigate it. My point was that it would, "at the very least we won't be taken by surprise".

2. How's that?

3/4. You just stated yourself, they could be 4 klicks away. That sounds like walking distance. We, (or one of the living heads), could try to find out more about this.

5. Not everything is DF, but until we know what isn't DF we should be wary of things which would be incredibly dangerous to us if it is, in fact, DF. Things like invincible 1-size-fits-all invisible cage traps which are so copious that mentioning that a dwarven fortress has them is practically redundant.
What would we gain by ignoring this? I'm thinking about when we first show up, not if they have a change of heart after we've established ourselves. We haven't ordered any scouts yet, and we wouldn't want to show up only to be caged before we speak to them.

Question for zanzet: is this dwarven fortress-based, and if so to what degree? Mainly: do we see dwarven physics and quirks of programming, (tantrum spirals), etc?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:02:16 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2013, 09:15:21 pm »

I would like to say that this universe is not the dwarf fortress universe.  The state of the goblins may in fact be more civilized than the dwarves.  In fact, if rolls go their way, then the society may be akin to the ancient chinese, complete with rocketry, and could also be completely stable without assassinations.  Also, there amount of magic existing in this universe is variable depending upon rolls go.  Which would mean that, unless there is a sufficient quantity, DF exploits would be unable to exist.  Mentality of an area's inhabitants could also be determined by a dice roll.

Since we're a hermaphrodites*, we might be able to self-fertilize, but that doesn't seem like a good idea...

Due to the choice, I decided to create lore around it in one of the posts.

2. How's that?

Turn 8 information spoiler.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2013, 09:31:49 pm »

snip

Thanks for the response zanzet, good to know.

For turn 8 info spoiler, I have to point out you only stated that humans/elves have monarchies, have a tendency to worship dragons and that they hate hydras as a perversion of nature. Precisely how a dragon could/does become worshiped as a god wasn't covered.

Here's the info for convenience
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@hydras: Meta-gaming deflated, all I've got to say is: Our knowledge base should be expanded.

-edit
soul-sucking dragon-gods eh? Well, we have some big shoes to fill.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:48:33 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2013, 09:44:53 pm »

For turn 8 info spoiler, I have to point out you only stated that humans/elves have monarchies, have a tendency to worship dragons and that they hate hydras as a perversion of nature. Precisely how a dragon could/does become worshiped as a god wasn't covered.

[pre-set lore]
Despite being the descendants of dragons, Hydras do not share the same genetic organs that provide dragons the ability to be immortal, even beyond death.  The exact nature of these organs is unknown, but they allow a Dragon that has been slain in any way to still remain on the planet as etheral beings that can still affect the material and mystical realms.  Because of this, Dragons rarely have children, in order to prevent a decline in food supplies, due to the etheral dragons feasting upon the life-force of what they kill in order to survive longer.  These dragons are able to leave the material plane at any point in time for the next, but few do so unless for their first few thousand years.
[/pre-set lore]

That should be fairly self-explanitory, but if you need anything more, just ask.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2013, 09:53:56 pm »

I say we should start burning people.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2013, 10:08:00 pm »

Rolled for that already.  The outcome has the lore being the lore that the synthesis of hydras prevents their ability to utilize fire permenantly.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2013, 10:19:22 pm »

Rolled for that already.  The outcome has the lore being the lore that the synthesis of hydras prevents their ability to utilize fire permenantly.
Can hydra heads learn magic?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2013, 10:21:52 pm »

Can hydra heads learn magic?

Depends on how much magic exists in the world.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2013, 10:26:03 pm »

We'll just use flint rocks to start fires, then catch people, then burn them. Why? Because of our own inadequacies at being unable to breath fire like the dragons.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40