Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1344 1345 [1346] 1347 1348 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744795 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #20175 on: September 14, 2015, 12:41:48 pm »

Hahahah, I love that one Nuttal bloke's quote on the German situation, that Germany is the teenage girl advertising her house party on facebook and panic-strickenly shuts her doors after so many people arrived, all the while Britain outspends Germany's foreign aid in spite of being a smaller economy - helping millions everywhere from Ethiopia to Bangladesh without fucking over the Balkans, Central Europe or Italy. There are more than one ways to swing a cat and Germany cut the cat by the cord till it could swing no more. Britain is the world's foremost foreign aid donor, only beaten by the USA with its vast shekel reserves. Kudos to Swedes, Nords and Dutchmen who comparative to their population sizes also do well. Besides regular banter though, there is another reason I bring this up; Osborne's been shaving off pounds from our foreign aid budget, diverting some to our local councils to deal with Syrian refugees in Britain and more recently there's been media calls to shave off a few millions from the billions strong budget to save Kew Garden's world-class botanical research standards, after 50 scientists just had to be sacked. Both cases are easily justifiable, but I am still wary, it is clear Osborne is trying to test the limits of what he can get away with. I shall update as Osborne shaves.
Oh yeah and the EU has had to impose more border checks but you guys already knew how much fun the continent's been having. Open them doors wider guys :D

I'm also in a particularly exuberant mood because Corbyn's done exactly what everyone thought he would do: implode labour. You know it's bad when Nigel's partying in Corbyn's honour. Sadiq Khan (labour's London mayor candidate) has vowed to back London versus Corbyn and has refused to allow labour to cow the Khan. Shadow foreign secretary Hilary Benn distanced himself from Corbyn's choice of John MecDonnell, Caroline Flint former shadow energy secretary said this "I have decided I can best support the Labour Party and the leadership from outside the shadow cabinet," Diana Johnson said "It is so very disappointing - old fashioned male dominated Labour politics in the top positions in Shadow Cabinet #notforgirls," some feminist writer Jack Monroe tweeted "Angry. I wanted to be wrong about Corbyn - so many good friends backed him, feminists, people I admire. And he broke a big promise 1 day in." Hahaha top lel 1 day in GG no Corby
Corgi Byn also tried giving Angela Eagle the non-title of shadow first secretary of the state which is meaningless as her job is being done by McDonnall, not her. She's just a token woman. Chuka Umunna also stood down as shadow business secretary after he could not get a meaningful promise from Corbyn that he would not campaign for EU membership, and Corbyn's former leadership rival Andy Burnham accepted job as shadow home secretary (after a dozen former colleagues declined to serve). Interestingly for one who is so opposed to London, most of Corbyn's cabinet will come from London's tesco finest. He's also got his jimmy properly rustled by reporters asking him questions, go watch his spaghetti falling from his pants when he can't answer that one reporter trying to find out why he broke his promise on having women in senior positions within the shadow cabinet. When you play the game of identity politics you lose or you lose even more

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20176 on: September 14, 2015, 01:16:53 pm »

Weeeeell, given for majority of refugees' first EU country is either Greece or Cyprus, technically they should apply for asylum there... but yeah, this is just the case of Orban being Orban. Both sad from humane perspective and ineffectual from technical one. This solves nothing.

Those are people crossing from Serbia to Hungary, so Hungary is the first EU country they're in.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20177 on: September 14, 2015, 01:32:30 pm »

Weeeeell, given for majority of refugees' first EU country is either Greece or Cyprus, technically they should apply for asylum there... but yeah, this is just the case of Orban being Orban. Both sad from humane perspective and ineffectual from technical one. This solves nothing.
Those are people crossing from Serbia to Hungary, so Hungary is the first EU country they're in.
Not Greece or Bulgaria?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20178 on: September 14, 2015, 01:34:32 pm »

Yeah, how did they get to Serbia in the first place?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20179 on: September 14, 2015, 01:40:34 pm »

Meanwhile Australia has decided to be generous and drop the racism for a bit, we'll be taking in a quantity of Syrian refugees,however, only those the government have decided are the most oppressed, the Christians.

I always take that sort of thing with a grain of salt. <snip>

Ok last mention of the topic, because it turned out my suspicions were pretty much correct. Last night the same politician who did a sudden 180 on refugees four days ago, got kicked out of the national leadership position in a party vote. My guess is that the softening on refugees was a last-minute attempt to buy back some popularity. I was fucking right to be suspicious of the sudden goodness of his heart. Abbott hated on refugees the whole time and stoked fear of them to win elections. But when the chips are down he's like "refugees? They're my chums!"

So, rightwing asshats: only nice to you when they want something. Proven fact.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 01:46:25 pm by Reelya »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20180 on: September 14, 2015, 01:44:08 pm »

They parachute into Serbia?

Anyway, before Dublin III, there was the geneva 1951 refugees convention that says that a refugee can only legally enter a country if he comes directly from a place his life is threatened in.

So even if the refugees/immigrants take the far less popular route through Bosnia/Montanegro/Albania, by international laws they should still be considered an illegal immigrant upon entering hungary.

Obviously they could claim Asylum from which ever country they wish, but legally speaking, they stopped being refugees the second they stepped on a safe soil.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20181 on: September 14, 2015, 01:48:27 pm »

Yeah, how did they get to Serbia in the first place?
Serbian physics

Anyway, before Dublin III, there was the geneva 1951 refugees convention that says that a refugee can only legally enter a country if he comes directly from a place his life is threatened in.

So even if the refugees/immigrants take the far less popular route through Bosnia/Montanegro/Albania, by international laws they should still be considered an illegal immigrant upon entering hungary.

Obviously they could claim Asylum from which ever country they wish, but legally speaking, they stopped being refugees the second they stepped on a safe soil.
Well now that's something for sure

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20182 on: September 14, 2015, 01:49:14 pm »

Hahahah, I love that one Nuttal bloke's quote on the German situation, that Germany is the teenage girl advertising her house party on facebook and panic-strickenly shuts her doors after so many people arrived

So you are saying that Germany suddenly learned the secret to popularity?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20183 on: September 14, 2015, 01:51:13 pm »

Well, directly insomuch as they go to the first country that's actually willing to take them. It's kind of hard to tell a refugee that because the first country they went to happened to say "no," they are now no longer a refugee and have to go home.
They'd not be going home, they'd be going back to a safe country.

Or maybe we just consider the "EU" as a country whole for the purposes of refugee immigration.
That ship sunk long ago; over my dead clay

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20184 on: September 14, 2015, 01:53:30 pm »

What are these shadow positions? Is that a real thing in British politics?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20185 on: September 14, 2015, 01:56:37 pm »

Not actually true, the Convention just says that you can't throw back someone to a place he's in danger, not that he can't apply to asylum in another country than the first one (East Bloc Jews getting Asyulum in the US despite crossing via Austria come to mind)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20186 on: September 14, 2015, 02:04:50 pm »

Well, directly insomuch as they go to the first country that's actually willing to take them. It's kind of hard to tell a refugee that because the first country they went to happened to say "no," they are now no longer a refugee and have to go home.
They'd not be going home, they'd be going back to a safe country.
Which again seems to boil down to "We're not neighbors to unsafe countries, so it's not our problem."
Taste my Paci-Fist

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20187 on: September 14, 2015, 02:11:23 pm »

What are these shadow positions? Is that a real thing in British politics?
It's a real thing. You have your Prime Minister and his or her Cabinet of Ministers to whom various branches of final executive authority in government are delegated, so for example the Chancellor of the Exchequer is in charge of the budget, Secretary of State in charge of home affairs (and security), Secretary of Health in charge of the National Health Service and so on, with various heads for everything from transport to defence, pensions to foreign aid.
Where shadow positions come in is that they're positions that correspond with their executive partners held by the opposition (so for every secretary there's a shadow secretary); their job is to generally make themselves a nuisance and ensure the opposition does not try to do anything particularly crazy and scrutinize them if they seem like they're about to do something horrendous, and also come up with alternative plans to what their executive colleagues are running. This also has the nice benefit of being training wheels for the opposition, so should the opposition win the majority in the next general election as the shadow cabinet becomes THE cabinet, the ministers will already be quite experienced in their fields of expertise.

Which again seems to boil down to "We're not neighbors to unsafe countries, so it's not our problem."
No it doesn't and it's a fool who tells you so. Britain's already sent £501M to Syria itself using its military to reach vulnerable groups who can't even flee, £183M to Jordan to provide everything from food and water in humanitarian camps to primary education for Syrian children so that when they return to Syria they'll have the skills needed to rebuild, £239M to Lebanon to do ditto, £29M to Turkey to do the same again, £19M to Iraq and £2.3M to Egypt for much the same reason. That does not include the aid we send to Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Pakistan, Ethiopia or Bangladesh.
What idiots decided it was best to solve a humanitarian crisis by increasing its scope and magnitude?
*EDIT
It's money's worth of aid, not money to the governments. Worth pointing out.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:13:52 pm by Loud Whispers »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20188 on: September 14, 2015, 02:13:39 pm »

Or maybe we just consider the "EU" as a country whole for the purposes of refugee immigration.

The whole point is that they can actually legally enter any country that is safe for them regardless of that country consent, so long as they do so directly from their country of origin and so long as they immediately present themselves to the local authorities.

Not actually true, the Convention just says that you can't throw back someone to a place he's in danger, not that he can't apply to asylum in another country than the first one (East Bloc Jews getting Asyulum in the US despite crossing via Austria come to mind)

As i specifically mentioned, refugees can claim asylum from whichever country they wish for regardless of the country they landed in. they can not, however, legally cross a border other than directly from the country they are endangered in.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20189 on: September 14, 2015, 02:46:32 pm »

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:48:18 pm by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 ... 1344 1345 [1346] 1347 1348 ... 1393