Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335] 1336 1337 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743330 times)

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #20010 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:19 am »

Wasn't there a name for… uhm… paradoxes for lack of a better term… like that?

There is but the closest I can come up with is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson%27s_paradox

Which doesn't seem to quite fit.
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. I think it fits.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20011 on: September 10, 2015, 10:55:43 am »

Singapore's success doesn't come from quality education for it's best students.  Singapore's success happens because during colonial times the British nicked it off the natives and used it as a naval base.  Because it's located on a strait that a large volume of traffic goes through, it became a major trade hub.  This gave Singapore a bunch of cash cow industries that require a bit of capital investment (such as building massive oil storage facilities) but dont require much else.  With that money, Singapore can afford to import whatever it wants, such as foreign doctors to take care of it's population.  In many regards it's similar to an oil rich country like the UAE.
It was not the only port located near the straits of Malacca and nor was it the first or biggest. Even today Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines have more oil and the same traffic (with Malaysia even having multiple of the world's busiest ports) but not the same wealth. Singapore was given no cashcow industries like rubber or oil and when it was kicked out of Malaya it had no resources, no industry, was dealing with the aftershocks of race riots, commies and Japanese bombing - it was a third world country with access to little capital and not much else. The reason why Singapore has ludicrous amounts of money now was because they invested it well and attracted even more investment from Americans and Chinese, convincing them that it was worth their time; building up manufacturing industries, investing heavily in education and ridding corruption (alongside dissidence) to make Singapore stand out as a safe investment area. Its success was not inevitable, its success was promoted.
It didn't go from this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To this:
Without the smart sweaty brows of Singaporeans, you don't become a major financial hub for nothing.

Also give the colonial Brits some credit; it wasn't used as a naval base until WWII, before then it was just a trading post - and it had competition from the Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch. And it won, by essentially doing nothing because no one likes paying tariffs.

*EDIT
I was wrong, the Singaporeans invest even more in education than I thought.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:59:17 am by Loud Whispers »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20012 on: September 10, 2015, 11:47:07 am »

but not the same wealth.

And Iran has much more oil then the UAE but is much poorer.  One cash cow for a nation of two million matters a lot more then a cash cow for a a nation of eleven million or thirty seven million.

But the overall shipping isn't the point anyway.  Malaysia and the Phillapines didn't have a cash cow carrying trade, they just had trade.  Any nation is going to generate trade if it's a large economy and has proximity to trading partners.  The point with Singapore is that it benefited from other countries trade.  That's the cash cow.

And it's a much better cash cow then something like oil and rubber.  The political economy of oil and rubber is very difficult.  In an extractive industry everyone just wants to own it and profit from economic rents.  Even a pretty healthy democracy like the US has a hard time with the political economy of oil.  Shipping ports on the other hand have the incentives pointed towards development, the foreigners might prefer if wages are kept down but everyone foreigners, rich and poor Singaporeans, want the port to increase capacity and the shipping to increase volume.  There is a natural limit on the amount of rent seeking behavior.  This is why most extractive economies were either successful economies that specialized (Norway, Australia) with Japan being the one strange exception.

Also, look at a picture of Singapore soon after independence:

Rather different from your image before, no?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:48:55 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20013 on: September 10, 2015, 12:46:46 pm »

And Iran has much more oil then the UAE but is much poorer.
Because they can't sell that oil due to sanctions.

One cash cow for a nation of two million matters a lot more then a cash cow for a a nation of eleven million or thirty seven million.
But the overall shipping isn't the point anyway.  Malaysia and the Phillapines didn't have a cash cow carrying trade, they just had trade.
You just described the situation Singapore was in. Except without oil and rubber.

Any nation is going to generate trade if it's a large economy and has proximity to trading partners.  The point with Singapore is that it benefited from other countries trade.  That's the cash cow.
And that happened. First it had to be a large economy. Foreign investment, education and industry.

And it's a much better cash cow then something like oil and rubber.  The political economy of oil and rubber is very difficult.  In an extractive industry everyone just wants to own it and profit from economic rents.  Even a pretty healthy democracy like the US has a hard time with the political economy of oil.  Shipping ports on the other hand have the incentives pointed towards development, the foreigners might prefer if wages are kept down but everyone foreigners, rich and poor Singaporeans, want the port to increase capacity and the shipping to increase volume.
And they could pick any other port in southeast asia; they picked Singapore because Singaporeans made it the most attractive port.

Also, look at a picture of Singapore soon after independence:
Rather different from your image before, no?
Because that is not a picture of Singapore soon after independence, that is a picture of Singapore during modernizing, after industrialization and whilst the foundations for their future were set by attracting foreign investment.
Spoiler: 1940 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 1950 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 1960 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 1970 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 1980 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 1990 (click to show/hide)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20014 on: September 10, 2015, 12:51:13 pm »

Singapore became self governing in 1965.  My picture was a lot closer to that date then yours...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20015 on: September 10, 2015, 01:09:55 pm »

Singapore became self governing in 1965.  My picture was a lot closer to that date then yours...
http://www.zeesleepvaart.com/Singapore1970.jpg
This is the URL from your picture, so I'm guessing yours wasn't; more to the point, Singapore's independence is not the mark here where Singapore started seeking foreign investment. The Singapore Economic Development Board was founded in the sixties before its independence, and it is then (before they had even joined Malaya let alone been kicked out of it) that industrialization and modernization began and the Economic Development Board at once set about making Singapore an attractive destination for foreign investment with overseas centers selling praise of Singapore. 70s-80s is when Singapore really begins dumping money into education with apprenticeships, skills development funds and a more structured education system that taught technical/academic skills and awarded gifted students with the best education possible. Urbanization also begins during the 1960s before independence, shown quite nicely in how quickly the cityscape changes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20016 on: September 10, 2015, 01:20:12 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/10/politics/u-s-take-10000-syrian-refugees/index.html

Addendum to what I was talking about earlier. It looks like the the # of Syrian refugees originally planned for does directly relate to the total amount of immigration the US allows. (75k per year.) I find it interesting the new number Obama wants puts us right on par with Canada.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20017 on: September 10, 2015, 01:26:23 pm »

Just so Canadians can't talk shit about Murrica

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20018 on: September 10, 2015, 01:33:08 pm »

More like so the rest of the world can't criticize us for doing less for Syrian refugees than Canada.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20019 on: September 10, 2015, 01:49:11 pm »

Nice that we are actually raising the refugee cap (what a horrible concept) instead of just giving spots from other places to Syria instead.  Still reeeeeally low.  Imagine Western Europe+US+Japan+South Korea+Canada+Australia all agreed to let in .5% of their population of Syrian refugees in one go.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20020 on: September 10, 2015, 01:58:04 pm »

Not gonna work. Canadians are talking shit about Canada not doing enough. Except the general population of racist isolationists, of course, but those are everywhere.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20021 on: September 10, 2015, 02:00:22 pm »

Why is Singapore in the EuroPol thread?  ???

I have to say, I'm impressed with the Germans taking a big chunk of the refugees even as a lot of Europe coughs and says "Oh, gee, well, you know....we've got these things and stuff...."

I'm curious though -- has there been any talk (particular in the Western European countries) of abandoning the Schengen plan?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20022 on: September 10, 2015, 02:23:52 pm »

Nice that we are actually raising the refugee cap (what a horrible concept) instead of just giving spots from other places to Syria instead.  Still reeeeeally low.  Imagine Western Europe+US+Japan+South Korea+Canada+Australia all agreed to let in .5% of their population of Syrian refugees in one go.
Israel, Saudi Arabia, China, Russia?

Why is Singapore in the EuroPol thread?  ???
Reasons

I have to say, I'm impressed with the Germans taking a big chunk of the refugees even as a lot of Europe coughs and says "Oh, gee, well, you know....we've got these things and stuff...."
They're not taken by choice hahahahahah they're trying to force them out of Germany and into the rest of Europe

I'm curious though -- has there been any talk (particular in the Western European countries) of abandoning the Schengen plan?
Yep, lots of talk, mainly centered around French angry at the Italians, Central Europeans angry at the Germans and the French at Calais are demanding that Britain join the Schengen area for some reason. Also there's that recent thing with Ayoub el-Khazzani traveling all the way through Europe just to attack that one French train getting around so easily because there are no checks within the Schengen area. The Swiss as usual are always antsy at someone else's attempts to "integrate" the fuck out of their country so there's that. Oh and Denmark's government has recently reintroduced border controls within the Schengen area that are not border controls the same way Japan doesn't have aircraft carriers since the border checks happen at border areas and not the border itself. Hahaha, cheeki Danes.
*EDIT
Apparently Germans are also rethinking the whole "fuck your borders gib clay now" thing, in the sense that "no borders for some people, borders for other people."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:26:49 pm by Loud Whispers »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20023 on: September 10, 2015, 02:54:46 pm »

They're not taken by choice hahahahahah they're trying to force them out of Germany and into the rest of Europe
That's literally the opposite of true. The refugee trains coming in from Hungary were met by cheering crowds, as weird as that may appear.

Also I'd like to remark that Germany is part of Central Europe. While we certainly have a culture of self-loathing, we're not exactly angry at ourselves.
Yeah, but mostly by people like LW - nothing serious so far.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20024 on: September 10, 2015, 03:04:41 pm »

That's literally the opposite of true. The refugee trains coming in from Hungary were met by cheering crowds, as weird as that may appear.
I was tempted to post the riots but I won't be mean; I'll add that what German people do and what their politicians do are two different things. They finally got Juncker to lose it yesterday and create a quota to pull all those refugees from their cheering crowds in Germany and into the rest of Europe.

Also I'd like to remark that Germany is part of Central Europe. While we certainly have a culture of self-loathing, we're not exactly angry at ourselves.
Don't be silly Helgo, Germans are always angry at themselves - it's in the language. But seriously, check your neighbours. Hungarians have made it clear they see the refugee crisis as a German problem and will not let the Germans give them their refugees.

Yeah, but mostly by people like LW - nothing serious so far.
No, none like me - I am not living in the Schengen Area so I have nothing to vocally scrap beyond EU membership.
Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335] 1336 1337 ... 1393