Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744019 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19830 on: September 04, 2015, 11:52:31 am »

My point is just that Christianity didn't arise in a religious vacuum and neither did Islam.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19831 on: September 04, 2015, 11:56:37 am »

We have pretty detailed account about the way that the Christian theology came together in the early years.  Something like this Quran or the dead sea scrolls is of interest because we dont have as detailed a timeline.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #19832 on: September 04, 2015, 03:24:23 pm »

Jordan has apparently taken in a quarter of its population in refugees recently, despite very few resources to take care of them, and has had very few problems.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19833 on: September 04, 2015, 03:31:31 pm »

Yeah, but that, of course, will never work for a country as piss-poor as Germany.
Taste my Paci-Fist

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19834 on: September 04, 2015, 05:03:32 pm »

That's not really an argument for why we too should take in more refugees than we can handle, though. Not to mention that integration into Jordan will be much smoother than integration into European countries.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19835 on: September 04, 2015, 05:26:25 pm »

Jordan has apparently taken in a quarter of its population in refugees recently, despite very few resources to take care of them, and has had very few problems.
Other than the water crisis, inability to pay for their food and after receiving donations and subsidies from the West?

The Washington DC-based non-governmental organisation says that, by 2040, the region will experience eight of the 10 worst droughts in the world. Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Israel will be among the worst affected.
Many countries will have to stop growing their own food. Saudi Arabia, for example, will entirely depend on grain imports by 2016, the report says.
And the lack of water will continue to make conflicts worse in Syria, Palestine, Iraq and elsewhere.
Al Jazeera's Nisreen El Shamayleh reports from Jordan where, due to the influx of refugees from Syria, the situation is already critical.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/08/syrian-refugee-crisis-strains-jordan-water-supply-150827011123701.html

Oh and on the topic of subsidies, the U.N. food agency just announced today it has run out of money to feed Syrian refugees in Jordan and is appealing for donations. They also have to deal with the free syrian army, Assad loyalists and Islamic extremists outside their borders and Salafist and ISIS recruiters running amok inside their country, and Jordanian contributions to ISIS are quite something. Plus Jordan doesn't really get a say in how many refugees it accepts, it's a matter of fighting the war which King Abdullah has called the third world war. As inspiring as it would be to see all the forces from LA to Shanghai roll tanks onto the streets of Ramadi everyone in the West has lost any will for war and the East gives little fucks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19836 on: September 04, 2015, 08:16:57 pm »

Some members of Russian parliament came up with a plan to give all inhabitants of rebel republics of Donetsk and Loeganks a Russian passport.
In their words, "then Ukraine might come to understand that it is one thing, to kill their own civilians, but another thing, to kill Russian civilians.

The Doema will discuss the proposition next month.

It is worth noting that this is not a unique proposition; in South-Ossetia, and in Abchasia, two regions that seceded from Georgia, Russia did the same. It gave the citizens Russian passport, and afterwards claimed the right to defend Russian civilians, which aided the two regions in their subsequent declaration of 'independence'.

It is not very certain though, that the plan will pass the Doema.
Taking this course of action will likely prompt more sanctions from Europe and the US, as it will surely end the fragile cease fire between Kiev and the rebels.
It would also imply that Russia will have to pay for rebuilding, and pay for the care (and overdue pensions which Ukraine refuses to pay, because they do not want to fund the rebels who are fighting against them) of the republic's war-empovered 3 million inhabitants, for which there is not much popular support amongst Russian voters.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19837 on: September 04, 2015, 08:30:37 pm »

Some members of Russian parliament came up with a plan to give all inhabitants of rebel republics of Donetsk and Loeganks a Russian passport.
In their words, "then Ukraine might come to understand that it is one thing, to kill their own civilians, but another thing, to kill Russian civilians.
This has some worrying implications in regards to er... Annexation, in all but name.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19838 on: September 05, 2015, 04:41:15 am »

This has some worrying implications in regards to er... Annexation, in all but name.
Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous. 'We didn't annex Donbass. That would be bad. And wrong. Oh, and by the way, they are our citizens now.'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19839 on: September 05, 2015, 04:48:14 am »

Another advantage from Russia's point of view would be to further muddy the water in respect to who is fighting there. If everyone is a Russian citizen, it becomes easier to sneak in more Russians to fight Ukraine.

In other news, Saakashvili is having arguments with the central government, which it accuses to be too slow to reform and too corrupt. It's an echo I've seen from other foreigners brought in to reform the country.

The article also contain this gem:

Following the accusations, Likarchuk was stripped of his authority to oversee customs offices and given powers to run only a spa resort in Russian-annexed Crimea that Ukraine no longer controls.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:05:52 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19840 on: September 05, 2015, 05:04:01 am »

Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous. 'We didn't annex Donbass. That would be bad. And wrong. Oh, and by the way, they are our citizens now.'.

They did exactly the same thing in Abkhazia, South Ossetia and Transnistria.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19841 on: September 05, 2015, 05:51:30 am »

I doubt that they would do it, after a whole year of "Minsk ceasefire" farce. It would be too good of a change for that to happen.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19842 on: September 05, 2015, 08:37:32 am »

Change?  What change?  From the start it has been salami tactics, this would be another salami tactics.  If they completely took the Donbas they would just start a war in some other place.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19843 on: September 05, 2015, 08:42:06 am »

In another instance of me providing German English-language articles on the Eurozone crisis, I present to you this.

The translation is fairly bad, and the article is not too great either, but it's better than nothing.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19844 on: September 05, 2015, 08:42:48 am »

Change?  What change?  From the start it has been salami tactics, this would be another salami tactics.  If they completely took the Donbas they would just start a war in some other place.
But that wouldn't be immediately afterwards. For a short time, there would be peace. With no constant artillery barrages and all that crap. I'm tired of seeing reports about people getting shelled to death every time I accidentally look at TV news.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 1393