Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1320 1321 [1322] 1323 1324 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743875 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19815 on: September 04, 2015, 12:14:16 am »

That doesn't automatically mean it's automatically safe to say it predates his life, though.  Two years out of a range of almost eighty is a pretty narrow possibility.
Except the idea being that the first Qur'an wasn't compiled until 650 :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19816 on: September 04, 2015, 12:57:02 am »

I'm sure the parchment predates that though. There was probably a yard sale somewhere in medina where any aspiring prophet could pick up a second hand copy of 'how Judea got it's groove back' which was just begging for recycling.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19817 on: September 04, 2015, 01:36:31 am »

Also, how does that "The original community was not wealthy enough to hang on some hide" make any sense? Keeping a bit of parchment in a corner ain't exact expensive. And they manage to hang on this bit just fine.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19818 on: September 04, 2015, 01:38:15 am »

Religious texts would certainly get priority use of your goatskins.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19819 on: September 04, 2015, 04:44:52 am »

Also, how does that "The original community was not wealthy enough to hang on some hide" make any sense? Keeping a bit of parchment in a corner ain't exact expensive. And they manage to hang on this bit just fine.
Well, the stockpiling itself isn't - but you do need enough money to just buy hides in order to stockpile them. Considering that the community in question wasn't exactly rich, it's safe to assume they've bought the hides whenever they were needed, not before.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19820 on: September 04, 2015, 04:51:25 am »

Oh, yeah, but if anything, it feeds into the "they just re-used some old parchment when needed". If you can't afford new hides, then it makes sense to erase Grandma's Grandiose Goatsteak recipes to replace it with the Holy Q'ran.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19821 on: September 04, 2015, 04:53:03 am »

I dunno - there's loads and loads of Q'rans, but Grandmas' recipes are notoriously hard to come by.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19822 on: September 04, 2015, 04:57:04 am »

Plus, it's not like erase the Holy Q'ran to re-use the parchment for a new recipe. Once you go Surat, you never go back.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19823 on: September 04, 2015, 07:57:31 am »

That doesn't automatically mean it's automatically safe to say it predates his life, though.  Two years out of a range of almost eighty is a pretty narrow possibility.
Except the idea being that the first Qur'an wasn't compiled until 650 :V
Ah.  From the statement of it dating to "around the age Muhammed's been born, [so it] predates" with no different statement on just what other thing it predates, my immediate assumption was that LW was claiming that it predates the founder of Islam. This, needless to say, confused me quite a bit.  My apologies if that was an incorrect assumption.  Yes, though, it is the earliest extant example, though we do run into the question of how accurate the parchment dating is to when the present text was actually written on it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:59:03 am by Culise »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19824 on: September 04, 2015, 08:05:12 am »

Plus, AFAIK it's not like the text on it differs from the more recent versions, so who cares?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19825 on: September 04, 2015, 09:16:33 am »

Ah.  From the statement of it dating to "around the age Muhammed's been born, [so it] predates" with no different statement on just what other thing it predates, my immediate assumption was that LW was claiming that it predates the founder of Islam. This, needless to say, confused me quite a bit.  My apologies if that was an incorrect assumption.  Yes, though, it is the earliest extant example, though we do run into the question of how accurate the parchment dating is to when the present text was actually written on it.
Plus, AFAIK it's not like the text on it differs from the more recent versions, so who cares?
This assumption would contradict most known accounts of Muhammad's life and legacy and may significantly alter the tradition of Islam.

If the years provided by the carbon-dating are correct, the Birmingham Quran was written even before the first formal text of the Islamic holy book is supposed to have been organized.

This is equivalent to discovering a copy of Christian gospel sayings that pre-date the infancy of Jesus.

The dates would also make the existence of the Birmingham Quran contradictory to many beliefs held by Islam's Salafist branch.

According to historian Tom Holland, there is mounting evidence that suggests that traditional accounts regarding the origins of Islam are either wrong or unreliable.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/80962/20150902/fragments-from-worlds-oldest-quran-may-predate-muhammad.htm
At any rate the lack of significant differences itself is important, it weighs heavily against centuries of accusations that Abu Bakr had gotten things wrong or deliberately changed bits of the Quran for political benefit, especially stringent since this was when he was facing off against the Persian and Roman Empires at the time and needed to motivate his men into invading foreign lands. #1 jihad my man

In summation, it's basically going down to did Islam originate with Muhammed or did it have some preexisting form that was molded and codified

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19826 on: September 04, 2015, 09:18:51 am »

Not really, it boils down to "maybe someone did write a copy earlier than we though". It'd still post-date Muhammad.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19827 on: September 04, 2015, 10:25:59 am »

I mean, we already knew Islam had things predating Muhammad. Both the indigenous Bedouin religion and the by that point fairly popular Christian spread had demonstrable contributions. It's doubtful that one man personally synchronized all of that to develop Islam by himself.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19828 on: September 04, 2015, 10:53:28 am »

This assumption would contradict most known accounts of Muhammad's life and legacy and may significantly alter the tradition of Islam.

If the years provided by the carbon-dating are correct, the Birmingham Quran was written even before the first formal text of the Islamic holy book is supposed to have been organized.

This is equivalent to discovering a copy of Christian gospel sayings that pre-date the infancy of Jesus.

The dates would also make the existence of the Birmingham Quran contradictory to many beliefs held by Islam's Salafist branch.

According to historian Tom Holland, there is mounting evidence that suggests that traditional accounts regarding the origins of Islam are either wrong or unreliable.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/80962/20150902/fragments-from-worlds-oldest-quran-may-predate-muhammad.htm
At any rate the lack of significant differences itself is important, it weighs heavily against centuries of accusations that Abu Bakr had gotten things wrong or deliberately changed bits of the Quran for political benefit, especially stringent since this was when he was facing off against the Persian and Roman Empires at the time and needed to motivate his men into invading foreign lands. #1 jihad my man

In summation, it's basically going down to did Islam originate with Muhammed or did it have some preexisting form that was molded and codified

In a way, you can say that Judaism is a pre-existing form of Christianity that was molded and codified. Christianity didn't arise out of a vacuum and neither did Islam.

One could say that Mohammed played the same kind of role as Christ did.

Also, this is going deeply offtopic and into the topic of religion.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19829 on: September 04, 2015, 11:11:55 am »

I think it's fair to say Judaism is a pre-existing form of Islam as well.

By the by.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 1320 1321 [1322] 1323 1324 ... 1393