Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1235 1236 [1237] 1238 1239 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744530 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18540 on: July 08, 2015, 09:54:08 am »

not gonna link ft with its paywalls and other fuckery m8

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18541 on: July 08, 2015, 09:57:43 am »

We are all next

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18542 on: July 08, 2015, 11:06:50 am »

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/08/investing/nyse-suspends-trading/

The heck is going on?

Edit: Should that go in the American Politics thread?

Apparently computer glitches are hitting the NYSE, United, and WSJ, coincidence???

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18544 on: July 08, 2015, 11:08:50 am »

DAMAGE CONTROL

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18545 on: July 08, 2015, 11:09:58 am »

Greek stock market is closed since June 26. :D

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:12:11 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18546 on: July 08, 2015, 11:14:32 am »

Sounds like somebody performed special boot option 4A on their Netapp storage controller.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1011550&pmv=print&impressions=false

(The US stock exchanges use netapp filers. I know, I used to work for Netapp. They do this, because netapp storage controllers can be configured to use dedicated dark fiber links as the backbone network between storage controllers, allowing very high bandwidth communication between the exchange servers. Other high end storage solutions dont have this capability to my knowledge.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:17:00 am by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18547 on: July 08, 2015, 11:31:08 am »

Sounds like somebody performed special boot option 4A on their Netapp storage controller.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1011550&pmv=print&impressions=false

(The US stock exchanges use netapp filers. I know, I used to work for Netapp. They do this, because netapp storage controllers can be configured to use dedicated dark fiber links as the backbone network between storage controllers, allowing very high bandwidth communication between the exchange servers. Other high end storage solutions dont have this capability to my knowledge.)

So, in laymans terms, they got overloaded?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18548 on: July 08, 2015, 11:33:21 am »

UK budget day.

The big headline (and part that surprised people so hasn't been hacked to death in the press already) is an introduction of the "National Living Wage", which isn't.

It's a really neat political move to be fair. They are stealing the name of the Living Wage. That living wage is measured against the Minimum Income Standard, a negotiated standard of living reached at by the Centre for Research in Social Policy through an extensive series of group interviews and research. It's currently used to accredit companies that pledge to meet its pay standards.

The Tory's "National Living Wage" is actually a fifth band to the current UK minimum wage rates, starting when you reach 25. It will start at £7.20 next year and increase to £9 in 2020. The current CRSP-suggested Living Wage is £7.85 outside London, and £9.15 in the city, with the rate constantly re-assessed as living standard expectations and costs change (so you can't really project as the government is). To add to that, the research based living wage includes a number of tax credits and benefits that will be stripped or frozen in this budget.

Combine that with it not benefiting the under 25s at all - the same group who are hardest hit by the benefit and other budget cuts - and calling this the living wage is laughable.

But at the same time a master stroke by the Conservative Party HQ, as it directly steals the thunder of one of the louder advocacy groups for better pay and standards of living.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18549 on: July 08, 2015, 11:41:37 am »

END OF THE WORLD MASS HYSTERIA BUY OVERPRICED INVESTMENT GOLD FROM INTERNET HUCKSTERS ASAP

HAHA DISREGARD THAT I SUCK BUTTCOINS

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18550 on: July 08, 2015, 12:04:15 pm »

People are freaking out too much about the Shanghai market. Stock trading in China has NEVER been about the underlying financials or long-term investment. It's seen more as a game, a version of high-stakes pai gow for the nouveau riche with way too much money to spend. It's also still doing pretty damn well, comparatively speaking. The Shanghai index coasted along just above 2000 for the last couple of years, up till about 12 months ago, when it began skyrocketing, hitting a peak of 5166 about 3 weeks ago. It's currently at 3507, but that's STILL a 73% return on a 1-year timeframe. That's return completely divorced from economic reality.

tldr; Chinese stocks are all about speculation, hype and turning a fast buck and analysts in the West should know better than to fearmonger and panic.

EDIT: There's also the fact that foreign investors are mostly cock-blocked out of the Chinese markets by regulations, so this is rich Chinese people losing money that didn't really exist in the first place. It's only the size of China that, as with all things Chinese, makes it seem eye-popping. Such as the fact that the Chinese markets have lost an estimated $3.25 TRILLION in the last month. But again, that's a $3.25 trillion that really didn't belong there, because China is not growing at a 150% rate.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:09:43 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18551 on: July 08, 2015, 12:13:24 pm »

Couldn't you say the same about the 2008 Crash? Or is the Chinese stock market different in that banks are less exposed to it?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18552 on: July 08, 2015, 12:16:08 pm »

RK this is just the beginning and it's already made tens of millions of Chinese poorer. And this is the beginning. On a 1 year time frame all but 8% of the year's gains have been wiped out and that number is still decreasing.
"The ideal situation would be several years of a steady bull market to cover the restructuring phase," Societe Generale's Yao Wei wrote in a recent note. "Conversely, the worst-case scenario would be a stock-market crash before restructuring has even begun."
The ripples this will cause across the world will strike hard like America. Europe is in for interesting times.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18553 on: July 08, 2015, 12:17:33 pm »

Under 25's aren't 'real' people, duh.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18554 on: July 08, 2015, 12:21:29 pm »

So, in laymans terms, they got overloaded?

No, Special boot option 4A is the "Nuke it from orbit" option. "When you need to be absolutely sure(tm)."

It is for the following situations:

1) You purchased a second hand filer, and want it nuked form orbit.
2) You have decomissioned a previously in-service filer, and want it deployed elsewhere in a different fashion-- and want all data purged.
3) You are selling a filer that previously housed sensitive data, and want it completely purged before putting it on the market.

Again, it is the "Nuke from orbit" option. It completely erases all data on all disks attached to the storage controller. Not even netapp can restore it.

Pages: 1 ... 1235 1236 [1237] 1238 1239 ... 1393