Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744148 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18570 on: July 08, 2015, 03:53:32 pm »

I don't see a whole lot of discussion about the deeply regressive Psychoactive Substances Bill currently going through the House of Lord (UK).

With this bill they aim to make an offence the knowing creation and distribution of every psychoactive substance (except for a list including coffee, booze etc.).

Need I begin to explain everything that is absurd with this or are we all agreed here?
Nitrous oxide is no laughing matter, ingesting harmful toxins is absolutely haram

Plenty of things are psychoactive substances but only as a tangent to what it's intended to do. One of the things that probably sparked this was people finding it about about something like a plant fertiliser a few years ago.
Meow meow or mephedrone
The weirdest anecdote involving meow meow has to come from that bloke who took it, went bonkers, cut off his own knob and stabbed his mother whilst hanging out his window letting his groinal blood spew forth into the ground below. I think he was the guy who was screaming whilst stabbing his Mum "I'm sorry, I have to do this or the world ends" or maybe that was another bloke.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18571 on: July 08, 2015, 04:23:40 pm »

Nitrous oxide is no laughing matter, ingesting harmful toxins is absolutely haram
Droll. But I won't be laughing when people are fined or imprisoned for selling laughing gas.

The weirdest anecdote involving meow meow has to come from that bloke who took it, went bonkers, cut off his own knob and stabbed his mother whilst hanging out his window letting his groinal blood spew forth into the ground below. I think he was the guy who was screaming whilst stabbing his Mum "I'm sorry, I have to do this or the world ends" or maybe that was another bloke.
Yeah I looked that story up.  He was also taking alcohol and cannabis but that curiously doesn't get mentioned in the tabloids.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18572 on: July 08, 2015, 05:32:37 pm »

I wonder what they had to 'nuke from orbit'? Apparently whatever it was, it was serious or critical enough to cause problems with the NYSE.

Most likely scenario, IMHO:

NYSE calls Netapp support-- Says they have a problem with some Netapp proprietary technology that has a list of quirks a mile long-- For shits and giggles, let's say it is snapvault.  One of the kinds of snapvault relationship you can create is intended for government record keeping compliance. It WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO DELETE ANYTHING until the retention date that was specified at the vault's creation is reached. No tool in the netapp software arsenal will permit this. 

So, let's say some earstwhile NYSE admin, who is probably some schmuck in india who can't speak english, because despite the NYSE operators having more money than you can possibly imagine, they just cant be assed to hire competent local admins, because profits.  That said-- this guy is not really properly versed in how the storage controller actually works, or any of the quirks of the various proprietary solutions offered with the platform, and so he creates such a protected relationship to test it out.  Then cant delete the vault afterwards, because *GASP*, the retention date is not yet reached. Because he is an incompetent boob, he did this with a production filer, and now is fucked beyond all reason, because that production server's resources are (as usual) overcommitted, and under provisioned. Every second that the vault persists on that production filer is lost money for NYSE, and a potential legal liability.

So, he calls ntap support.  They tell him there is no way to remove the vault before the retention date has occured. (because there isn't.)  This escalates out of control, until finally a NYSE corporate retard DEMANDS satisfaction on the issue, and some level 3 or higher engineer begrudgingly says that special boot option 4A will be able to eliminate the protected vault.  This is only after having exhausted the much more sensible option of altering the NTP server to report that the retention date specified by the vault has occurred, and thus faking out the software, allowing normal deletion-- because doing that would fuck up the whole network (part of the network would think it is in the future, and it would fuck up trading EVERYWHERE, because it would appear that live trades were happening in the past.) Instead, they bite their lips, grit teeth, and implement option 4A, hoping that cluster failover will cover their asses while the then nuked filer gets rebuilt from DR backups.

However, because of how mission critical their installation is, THEY NEVER TESTED FAILOVER.  As a consequence, nuking the filer takes the whole damn trade floor down, and their cluster panics like a politician who just had their dirty laundry aired.

I dont KNOW that this is what happened, but I can CLEARLY see this happening, as it is a perfectly plausible chain of events.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18573 on: July 08, 2015, 05:37:21 pm »

Droll. But I won't be laughing when people are fined or imprisoned for selling laughing gas.
I will be laughing, that sounds cruelly hilarious. Like a bus crashing into a wall, only the bus is full of clowns. It's tragic, yes, hilarious, yes - are you a bad person for laughing? Yes, and the hyena is evil for eating meat.

Yeah I looked that story up.  He was also taking alcohol and cannabis but that curiously doesn't get mentioned in the tabloids.
I don't think either way really matters, it's the extreme, EXTREMEtm end of things ;D

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18574 on: July 08, 2015, 08:48:39 pm »

Massive extinctions make the biosphere much harder to sustain, and reduce the number of food sources available. Science can't magic that kind of systemic problem away.
Long term goal of humanity is to create an artifical biosphere, weather control and more stuff like that.
We should use science to decide what species we need and exterminate others. Adding genetically engineered species to the biosphere is a good step to do, too.
Plant people anyone?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18575 on: July 09, 2015, 04:59:16 am »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18576 on: July 09, 2015, 05:53:26 am »

What the fuck, EU?

More info.
The idiotic lurches of a dying beast in its death throes, with nothing better to do than roll around in its own putrid policy.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18577 on: July 09, 2015, 07:47:57 am »

^My reaction to British politics in the last 6 months, though I am less triumphalist. If the Ottoman Empire taught us anything other than the stylishness of the fez + curly slipper + waxed moustache combo, it is that sometimes geopolitical "dying beasts" can take a long time to die.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:56:44 pm by Owlbread »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18578 on: July 09, 2015, 08:33:51 am »

And as Oswald Spengler has shown fairy clearly just because a beast is said to be dying that doesn't mean it actually is.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18579 on: July 09, 2015, 10:09:51 am »

^My reaction to British politics in the last 6 months, though I am less triumphalist. If the Ottoman Empire taught us nothing other than the stylishness of the fez + curly slipper + waxed moustache combo, it is that sometimes geopolitical "dying beasts" can take a long time to die.
Heh, I'm of a similar disposition; give it a hundred years and the United Kingdoms as we know it will persist or die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18580 on: July 09, 2015, 11:01:05 am »

^My reaction to British politics in the last 6 months, though I am less triumphalist. If the Ottoman Empire taught us nothing other than the stylishness of the fez + curly slipper + waxed moustache combo, it is that sometimes geopolitical "dying beasts" can take a long time to die.
Heh, I'm of a similar disposition; give it a hundred years and the United Kingdoms as we know it will persist or die.

That's a pretty empty statement.

Compare

give it a hundred years and Microsoft as we know it will persist or die.
give it a hundred years and Eurodisney as we know it will persist or die.
give it a hundred years and pancakes as we know them will persist or die.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18581 on: July 09, 2015, 11:05:02 am »

give it a hundred years and pancakes as we know them will persist or die.

We should burn this guy. A pyre will do, if a stake isn't available.

give it a hundred years and Microsoft as we know it will persist or die.

Didn't you get windows 8?
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18582 on: July 09, 2015, 11:06:21 am »

In the grim darkness of a hundred years from now, there is only persist or die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18583 on: July 09, 2015, 11:27:45 am »

In one hundred years, I will either be alive or I will be dead.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18584 on: July 09, 2015, 11:34:11 am »

in one hundred years, something will happen or something else will happen.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 1393