Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748106 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16680 on: May 15, 2015, 06:50:39 am »

For one, I don't consider Soviet Union to be better than current Russia. I thought so for a long time, but now I think that the downfall of Soviet Union was unavoidable since it's core structure was faulty. It made people rely too much on others, and have made labor too disassociated from the workers, effectively making them not care about what has been made by the others and inviting massive losses in efficiency.
Here we see a typical dream to build USSR 2.0 without old faults (and, no, those faults don't include millions killed)

No Russian can talk about USSR using such words. Only a Soviet can.

Russian would say something like "Hell no! I don't want this shit back. USSR killed millions of my compatriots"
And Russian Empire has enslaved dozens of millions of my compatriots for hundreds of years.

Do you even realize how stupid your "Russian" has to be to blame USSR for killing Russians, when all Russian states before it and after it have effectively done much more harm to Russian nation?
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16681 on: May 15, 2015, 07:07:51 am »

Nobody's saying they're better. The thing is, next to nobody wants to revive the Tsarist regime 'but without old faults'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16682 on: May 15, 2015, 07:11:39 am »

Nobody's saying they're better. The thing is, next to nobody wants to revive the Tsarist regime 'but without old faults'.
You will be surprised at how many people want to do exactly that in Russia. Like half of the "Alternative history" books involve a "Tsarist Russia" but "without old faults" last time I checked.
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16683 on: May 15, 2015, 08:56:04 am »

You will be surprised at how many people want to do exactly that in Russia. Like half of the "Alternative history" books involve a "Tsarist Russia" but "without old faults" last time I checked.
Not just in Russia. There's a pretty decent Polish writer who has a weird love-hate thing with that particular concept.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16684 on: May 15, 2015, 09:27:32 am »

Besides, its much easier to believe its just Putin and his CO. with lots of power in Russia(including media) are the baddies, instead of good part of the actual population. The latter one leaves less room for negotiations and compromises in the future, too, especially if that became the official stance of any involved nation...
If we were to admit that the general Russian population has gone bonkers, we'd have to start taking direct action against the population itself instead of only the leadership. And nobody really wants that, since it would involve more than just a bit of diplomacy...

Indeed...

A plane arriving from West crashed in pieces East of border in an area where Ukraine has lost several aircraft, including high-flying ones, during the past week. Photographed wreck parts are absolutely filled with holes from ahead, right and slightly above(ingoing holes on wing top surfaces, outcoming on bottom, nose of the aircraft filled with holes including a part that has part of the cockpit window frame). There isn't much brain activity required to deduct the most likely cause. That information was already available on the very day of the incident.

For a second I thought you were talking about MH70 or another passenger plane. Sounds like that particular aircraft is the loser in an aerial dogfight.

Well, you never said what kind of plane it is that you're talking about, and yes I meant MH17, not 70, heh.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16685 on: May 15, 2015, 01:34:37 pm »

Isn't "Tsarist Russia but without old faults" what we're having right now?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16686 on: May 15, 2015, 01:38:46 pm »

Ventari'd? I tried to do a wiki search of ventari, turned up nothing. A google search shows a guild wars thing but I don't get the reference.
From the Discworld. He made himself so vital to the system nobody wants him dead because it will make the system fall apart.
Correct name is Vetinari.
why do people ignore me ;----;
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16687 on: May 15, 2015, 01:51:42 pm »

Ventari'd? I tried to do a wiki search of ventari, turned up nothing. A google search shows a guild wars thing but I don't get the reference.
From the Discworld. He made himself so vital to the system nobody wants him dead because it will make the system fall apart.
Correct name is Vetinari.
Because we can.

i'm usually not one to do this but this pile of quotes does not make sense

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16688 on: May 15, 2015, 01:59:33 pm »

i'm going to mail you the receipt for retrieving the joke from the moon

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16689 on: May 16, 2015, 01:58:10 pm »

Jim Murphy, the head of Scottish Labour, has announced that he's going to resign. This terrible news for the SNP as his replacement may actually be competent.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16690 on: May 16, 2015, 03:53:39 pm »

Jim Murphy, the head of Scottish Labour, has announced that he's going to resign. This terrible news for the SNP as his replacement may actually be competent.  :P

Yeah, I'm not happy about it. Murphy was so, so terrible he was like a kind of fecal Midas; anything Scottish Labour related he touched turned into shit. If ever there was a devil to know he would be the best. The only positive I can see though is his deputy Kezia Dugdale will likely take the lead prematurely; if she leads in 2016 election Labour are on course for defeat and she will have to take the fall rather than Murphy. I think she was hoping for Murphy to take the fall next year so she could rebuild in the council elections.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16691 on: May 16, 2015, 08:04:46 pm »

Frankly, I'm not sure even a once-a-century leader could turn back Scottish Laor's course at this point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16692 on: May 16, 2015, 10:39:09 pm »

Scottish Laor's
Soon, Labour will become LA, and all will be irredeemably lost.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16693 on: May 16, 2015, 11:11:29 pm »

Now now desc, I've been to LA and it's not what you'd call irredeemably lost. Has its problems, but not the worst of places as cities go.

Might be a shame if it started sharing a diminutive with labour, though...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16694 on: May 17, 2015, 03:25:46 pm »

Scottish Laor's
Soon, Labour will become LA, and all will be irredeemably lost.
If they wanted their letters, they could have tried not being shit!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 1393