Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750639 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15915 on: April 13, 2015, 05:01:39 pm »

Can someone translate or at least summarize the subtitles because while there are captions, I can't read polish?
Can't you hear what the buffoon is saying?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15916 on: April 13, 2015, 05:03:37 pm »

Can someone translate or at least summarize the subtitles because while there are captions, I can't read polish?
Can't you hear what the buffoon is saying?

No because I'm hard of hearing and sound quality sucks on phone and noisy environment anyway.

I can try  using YouTube captions, but it'll probably make even less sense.

Edit: there's no option for English subtitles apparently, just on or off.

Edit: or rather it looks like their English captioning isn't activating for some reason.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:12:08 pm by smjjames »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15917 on: April 13, 2015, 05:39:17 pm »

Captioning works for me (low quality but still).
But anyway.

The millionaire guy is sitting in his palace he had built in Ealing, and points to a miniature of a statue (gold-plated bronze, in Poland) he designed and funded to commemorate Polish cavalry in WWII. He talks about his father being one of the cavalrymen, an occupation which Polish tradition holds as almost obsessively honourable. He then segues to having aristocratic blood, calling himself as well as his father a Prince - of some interest might be the fact that I could not find his name in any list of Polish aristocratic families.
Of course, only aristocrats track their aristocratic pedigrees in Poland, as aristocratic titles have no meaning in the eye of the Polish law since 1921.
He then talks how he's got enough of Poles being discriminated against, and how he's realised he has got to stand up in the defence of 'his people' (he lived all his life in the UK, a son of immigrants).
He singles out Nigel Farage blaming immigrants for some traffic congestion or something, and challenges him to a duel (illegal in either UK or Poland) in Hyde Park.
Should Farage refuse, he suggests a 'duel of words' on the telly.

The guy is nobody of importance, you would have to dig really hard to even acknowledge his existence before he funded that statue last year.
But he's got money (made selling postcards, apparently) so he's gone nuts like so many others.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:45:09 pm by Il Palazzo »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15918 on: April 13, 2015, 08:02:52 pm »

calling himself as well as his father a Prince - of some interest might be the fact that I could not find his name in any list of Polish aristocratic families.

I thought the Poles treat noble titles like assholes.  Everyone gets one.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15919 on: April 14, 2015, 05:21:20 am »

calling himself as well as his father a Prince - of some interest might be the fact that I could not find his name in any list of Polish aristocratic families.

I thought the Poles treat noble titles like assholes.  Everyone gets one.
Actually, we treat noble titles like haemorrhoids - only arseholes get one.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15920 on: April 14, 2015, 05:27:11 am »

Yay! Just like Sweden.
Love, scriver~

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15921 on: April 16, 2015, 01:55:11 am »

Also, keep in mind that we actually didn't have noble 'titles' in Poland as much as we had just plain nobles. As in, every noble was supposedly equal. All our princes/dukes/counts/stuff were either (a) Lithuanian nobles from before creation of Commonwealth (they were allowed to keep the titles in the family) or (b) got their titles from other countries.

Still, I find the idea of a world where duels are commonplace much more pleasant then our current one. :P
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15922 on: April 16, 2015, 04:16:16 am »

Still, I find the idea of a world where duels are commonplace much more pleasant then our current one. :P
I personally don't, but that's probably because duels have been the cause of early death for some of our greatest poets.

In thread related news: Ruble, what are you doing. Why are you no longer heavily correlated to oil prices? Is this black magic?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:34:04 am by Sergarr »
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15923 on: April 16, 2015, 04:36:11 am »

I personally don't, but that's probably because duels have been the cause of early death for some of our greatest poets.

In thread related news: Ruble, what are you doing. Why are you no longer heavily correlated to oil prices? Is this black magic?
And mathematicians, yeah. Though I'd welcome the prospect of seeing my Jewish commilitones once more skewer antisemites left and right.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15924 on: April 16, 2015, 09:23:47 am »

Oles Buznya, a prominent pro-Russian reporter was killed today in a drive by shooting in Kiev.
The Ukrainian president Porosjenko has immediatly ordered a public investigation.
He said "the intention is clear: this is a deliberate act that does nothing but aid our enemies"

Meanwhile, Putin has already issued a statement calling it "a political murder".

According to the Ukrainian minister of internal affairs, Herasjtsjenko, the murdered reporter, as well as the former member of parliament Oleh Kalashjnikov, who was killed or commited suicide last wednesday, were key witnesses in a police investigaton into pro-Russian activists that attacked protestors in the 2014 protest that led to the fall and subsequent flight from the country of president Janukovic.

The minister has requested all witnesses in that case, and other people who think they might have information, to contact the police if they fear for their security.
He added that the murders "could have been comitted by Russia, in an attempt to destabilize Ukraine from within."

- good thing it was just a reporter and not an Austrian royal heir - /sarcasm
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15925 on: April 16, 2015, 10:13:53 am »

I am kinda interested if this

a) Someone killing guys who "knew to much"
or
b) Some guys who returned from the front and take matters in their hands because justice system is still useless
or
c) Game of Russian security service

I'd prefer that two bastards to rot in prison but bullets is not the worst alternative.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:18:46 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15926 on: April 16, 2015, 10:55:11 am »

So, having an opinion of his own means that he deserves to get shot, UR?

There's this little thing that's called "freedom of press", and you kinda cannot become a European country without it.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15927 on: April 16, 2015, 12:36:00 pm »

Does freedom of press means that average German journalist can go and promote Nazism or something like that?

This guy contributed a lot to the current Ukrainian situation and his work increased amount of collaborators. Collaborators that kill people aiding Russian invaders. So yes, he deserved death for his crimes. Prison is a more modern and "European" solution but sadly Ukraine is far  away from having a working justice system.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #15928 on: April 16, 2015, 12:46:26 pm »

Does freedom of press means that average German journalist can go and promote Nazism or something like that?

This guy contributed a lot to the current Ukrainian situation and his work increased amount of collaborators. Collaborators that kill people aiding Russian invaders. So yes, he deserved death for his crimes. Prison is a more modern and "European" solution but sadly Ukraine is far  away from having a working justice system.
Yes it does, sorta. That's why shit like Stormfront are operating openly. The illegality is in certain specific things, like inciting to racially motivated violence or denying/glorifying Nazi crimes, but advocating a suspiciously similar ideology is not strictly speaking illegal under freedom of speech.

Also lolmurder is hardly a step towards improving upon a justice system - all you get is a corrupt system getting worse.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15929 on: April 16, 2015, 02:15:23 pm »

Unless you lolmurder enough people that there's no system left anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1393