Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750741 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15870 on: April 11, 2015, 10:28:06 am »

This explains the rise of the SNP. Alas, in Wales, Plaid will continue to struggle due to the Labour heartlands of the valleys of the south (what with it being the birthplace of the Labour movement in general) until we Welsh as a nation have a serious attitude change at some point in the medium term future about what role Wales has in the UK.

Yes indeed. I've been thinking about it for quite a while - the SNP aren't a radical party in the least. The only truly radical idea they have is independence, and interestingly the vision of independence they had was a very restrained one. The simple fact that they're not terrible is what sets them apart from the crowd though, and in the current climate of British politics everything is so right wing even a party like the SNP can be lampooned by the press as the "Loonie Left". It just goes to show how powerful Conservative/right wing elements are in the British media.

As a side note, how was Leanne Wood's performance in the TV debate received in Wales? I thought she did very well, but I've noticed for some time now that the thought processes of the Welsh nation at large tend to run in the opposite direction to my own.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15871 on: April 11, 2015, 10:46:21 am »

They're still generally rabidly and unreasonably anti-nuclear, when nuclear power is objectively one of the safest forms of electricity known.
Nuclear power requires a centralised security-state to maintain its safety. Also, when it does go wrong, nuclear fallout is way, way worse than most other kinds of destruction a failed power source can provide.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15872 on: April 11, 2015, 10:48:30 am »

I would expect it depends who you ask. The general newspaper consensus looks to be that Cameron and Farage did amazingly, Milliband did a bit better than alright, and all the other leaders were awful. It's odd because that isn't the impression I got from watching the debate at all.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15873 on: April 11, 2015, 11:00:05 am »

They're still generally rabidly and unreasonably anti-nuclear, when nuclear power is objectively one of the safest forms of electricity known.
Nuclear power requires a centralised security-state to maintain its safety.
So does every other energy source. Many of them wouldn't even exist without a centralized security-state.

Also, when it does go wrong, nuclear fallout is way, way worse than most other kinds of destruction a failed power source can provide.

Well, it depends. Let's actually look at the numbers for once. Fukushima is expected to cause, a grand total of an eventual, 130 deaths. Not very spectacular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster#Risks_from_radiation

Normal operation of most types of powerplant is worse than that.

Edit: And that derail is why I didn't mention Nuclear in combination with the Green party.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15874 on: April 11, 2015, 11:23:12 am »

This explains the rise of the SNP. Alas, in Wales, Plaid will continue to struggle due to the Labour heartlands of the valleys of the south (what with it being the birthplace of the Labour movement in general) until we Welsh as a nation have a serious attitude change at some point in the medium term future about what role Wales has in the UK.

Yes indeed. I've been thinking about it for quite a while - the SNP aren't a radical party in the least. The only truly radical idea they have is independence, and interestingly the vision of independence they had was a very restrained one. The simple fact that they're not terrible is what sets them apart from the crowd though, and in the current climate of British politics everything is so right wing even a party like the SNP can be lampooned by the press as the "Loonie Left". It just goes to show how powerful Conservative/right wing elements are in the British media.

As a side note, how was Leanne Wood's performance in the TV debate received in Wales? I thought she did very well, but I've noticed for some time now that the thought processes of the Welsh nation at large tend to run in the opposite direction to my own.

Her performance was generally assessed as positive. This however seems to have had little effect due to the already discussed massive preclusion to Labour in the south, the Tories in their safe seats of Conwy/Pembrokeshire/Marches and pre-existing Plaid support in the North West. It will be interesting to see if some of the swing seats (Cardiff North, Ceredigion (though that seat is in the middle of a slur row due to 10 year old comments from the Plaid candidate surfacing)) show a Plaid trend. I doubt it though, as I expect the LibDem voters in those 2 seats who keep it interesting to either not turn up to vote or to vote Lab/Tory/UKIP.
This is a blank sig.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15875 on: April 11, 2015, 06:48:31 pm »

Nuclear power requires a centralised security-state to maintain its safety.
So does every other energy source. Many of them wouldn't even exist without a centralized security-state.

While nuclear may be cleaner if there are no accidents and you somehow solve the problem of radioactive waste it requires way more centralized hierarchies than many other energy sources. You don't have to put a guard next to a solar panel or a windmill. I can install a solar panel on my own roof and create my own electricity. Very decentralized, needs little initial investment, can be run without trained staff, .... Sociologist Langdon Winner wrote a very nice paper on how some technologies influence politics and society.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: April 11, 2015, 07:16:44 pm »

Her performance was generally assessed as positive. This however seems to have had little effect due to the already discussed massive preclusion to Labour in the south, the Tories in their safe seats of Conwy/Pembrokeshire/Marches and pre-existing Plaid support in the North West. It will be interesting to see if some of the swing seats (Cardiff North, Ceredigion (though that seat is in the middle of a slur row due to 10 year old comments from the Plaid candidate surfacing)) show a Plaid trend. I doubt it though, as I expect the LibDem voters in those 2 seats who keep it interesting to either not turn up to vote or to vote Lab/Tory/UKIP.

I wonder why Cardiff North and Ceredigion are swing seats. Ceredigion has always interested me. Does it have a lot of Welsh speakers or something? Is that why Plaid target it? I can understand Llanelli is often targeted due to its high Welsh-speaking population.

I know Plaid are the party of all Wales, not just the Welsh-speaking areas, but in terms of realistic targets they would surely target areas with high numbers of Welsh speakers. In that case maybe non-Welsh speaking swing seats like Cardiff North could be a good barometer for Plaid's success in the future?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: April 11, 2015, 08:21:38 pm »

One of the greatest issues with electricity is that the need for it is not constant. Windmills, solar panels etc. do not produce power constantly even in large masses, so other, more adjustable energy sources are needed any way to cover good part of the full need. The only quick to adjust renewable one available at all times that isn't burning something is water power.

I dont think it is possible to ever fully cover all the energy need with just renewables. Theres only so much that can be done with sources that cant be fully controlled/depend on weather and adjustable renewables such as water and bio only get so far. Not until we have fusion power or solar panels on the orbit...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: April 11, 2015, 08:30:50 pm »

I dont think it is possible to ever fully cover all the energy need with just renewables.
Burning biofuels may work but it will require more energy efficient agriculture and messing with more natural ecosystems
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #15879 on: April 12, 2015, 12:27:18 am »

One of the greatest issues with electricity is that the need for it is not constant. Windmills, solar panels etc. do not produce power constantly even in large masses, so other, more adjustable energy sources are needed any way to cover good part of the full need. The only quick to adjust renewable one available at all times that isn't burning something is water power.
Indeed, I'm surprised how little love hydro plants get around here. Water power is 1) one of the cleanest and 2) can actually be accumulated as a reserve.

Now truth be told, in order for it to be really clean, the most important part is preparation of accumulation lake. Biggest problem these days is companies/countries just flooding a valley after the damn is built, turning any plant that grew there into a nice years-lasting rotting source of all kinds of wonderful greenhouse gasses. On other hand, properly cleaning the area before flooding it burns resources in it's own right... Not to mention permanently transforming the surroundings. But yeah, nuclear power is cool and all, but water is way cooler. >:7
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: April 12, 2015, 12:28:35 am »

Theres been some excellent research into energy storage, but there will always be a need for on demand energy production to even out irregularities from renewables.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15881 on: April 12, 2015, 02:37:54 am »

I'm a fair fan of molten salts and solar towers, myself.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15882 on: April 12, 2015, 03:47:14 am »

the problem of radioactive waste
I think that is the biggest problem. Before that one is solved nuclear energy is anything but clean.

Also the loss of land is quite awful, as that is one of the most limited resources we have.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: April 12, 2015, 03:50:11 am »

I'm a fair fan of molten salts and solar towers, myself.
As am I, but I thought we were talking about power generation here?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #15884 on: April 12, 2015, 03:58:05 am »

Well, if we are talking about not-so-distant things, yeah, that's are some cool stuff, as is nuclear fusion.  :)

And cold fusion. *ducks*

Also the loss of land is quite awful, as that is one of the most limited resources we have.
Fair point.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1393