Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751060 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15765 on: April 06, 2015, 06:27:52 am »

The only 'torch march' that I can think of (or have a mental image of) is a rioting (or otherwise angry) mob with torches and pitchforks.

The only torch march that I know of is the Torch March Against Racism, which is organised every year in our city. I never heard of a negative association with torch marches. It's not a thing associated with nazism at all here. It's a anti-rascism / peace thing over here.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #15766 on: April 06, 2015, 06:49:47 am »

I think the torch marches Comrade P. was referring to is those specific marches organized by some right(-leaning) groups in Ukraine.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15767 on: April 06, 2015, 10:50:52 am »

AAAND you just called Germany insecure ;D
It is. Ever checked sorry state of German military? Especially considering current danger from Russia? I consider Germany and it's current leadership as weak and pathetic. Merkel von Ribbentrop de Chamberlain proves this.

EU in general should pull itself together. I like it and it's ideas, but it seems EU is incapable to work under stressful, pre-war situation and can only think about gas and money to make with Russia, especially older members of EU. I can just imagine what shit would happen if Russia would invade Baltic states (under some moronic pretext, as usual) or something. They would run around like chickens without heads.

My only consolation is that my country is one of few that treats whole situation seriously and is incerasing spending on military. To 2% minimum required by NATO. Shame it is still miniscule in comparison to growing amout of money spent by Russia on military, while cutting everything else (only exception is social) due to fall of ruble and oil prices. It is almost like Russia is preparing for war. ::)

It never was a good idea to ban a part of your history, at least to my knowledge.
There is difference between having something as part of it's history and revenerating it as something awesome. Communism was and is murderous loony ideology (estimated body count around 100 mil dead worldwide), not anything awesome.

Besides, why would we ban Stalin's statues?
Because he is one of the most (if not most) genocidal dictators in history of mankind? I know you russians love him and I consider this utterly insane (and telling a lot). That kind of stance contributes to my opinion of Russians, that - as you can guess - is not very flattering.

He took a country where 90% of people lived in complete shit and had close-to-zero chances to become living in not-shit and turned it into a country where about 50% of people lived in less shit and had real chances to become living in not-shit.
This would be more convincing if you could prove that under different system or ruler situation would be still shit or no better. Ever heard about opportunity cost?
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15768 on: April 06, 2015, 11:42:13 am »

It is. Ever checked sorry state of German military? Especially considering current danger from Russia? I consider Germany and it's current leadership as weak and pathetic. Merkel von Ribbentrop de Chamberlain proves this.

EU in general should pull itself together. I like it and it's ideas, but it seems EU is incapable to work under stressful, pre-war situation and can only think about gas and money to make with Russia, especially older members of EU. I can just imagine what shit would happen if Russia would invade Baltic states (under some moronic pretext, as usual) or something. They would run around like chickens without heads.

My only consolation is that my country is one of few that treats whole situation seriously and is incerasing spending on military. To 2% minimum required by NATO. Shame it is still miniscule in comparison to growing amout of money spent by Russia on military, while cutting everything else (only exception is social) due to fall of ruble and oil prices. It is almost like Russia is preparing for war. ::)
So, tell me how Russia will invade Baltic states which have NATO stationed troops and equipment in them without triggering WW3. I'm waiting.

Besides, why would we ban Stalin's statues?
Because he is one of the most (if not most) genocidal dictators in history of mankind? I know you russians love him and I consider this utterly insane (and telling a lot). That kind of stance contributes to my opinion of Russians, that - as you can guess - is not very flattering.
If you think that a whole nation is insane and you're smarter than them all, it's not a sign that you're actually that smart - it's a sign that you're missing some important information about the world.

He took a country where 90% of people lived in complete shit and had close-to-zero chances to become living in not-shit and turned it into a country where about 50% of people lived in less shit and had real chances to become living in not-shit.
This would be more convincing if you could prove that under different system or ruler situation would be still shit or no better. Ever heard about opportunity cost?
The alternative to USSR is "be conquered by Nazi Germany" and Generalplan Ost.

Just read those fucking numbers:

Ethnic group    Percentage subject to removal
Poles    80–85%
Russians    50–60% to be physically eliminated and another 15% to be sent to Western Siberia.
Belarusians    75%
Ukrainians    65%
Lithuanians    85%
Latvians    50%
Estonians    50%[13]
Czechs    50%
Latgalians    100%

That's the opportunity cost of Russia not becoming USSR. Russian Empire has lost against a vastly weaker WW1 Germany, it would've lost against WW2 Germany instantly. And democracy wasn't an option because Kerensky was an idiot who managed to completely discreditize the democracy in Russia in just half a year by enacting the stupidest decisions possible.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15769 on: April 06, 2015, 11:43:50 am »

Oh that's a real mature and honest answer  ::)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15770 on: April 06, 2015, 11:53:16 am »

Oh that's a real mature and honest answer  ::)
You have any other alternatives that can both give a life quality boost higher than what USSR did (compared to "90% of population are rightless peasants living in shit", USSR is better, yes) while also acquiring enough military/economical power to defeat Nazi Germany /w  help from the Allies?
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15771 on: April 06, 2015, 11:57:55 am »

I deeply dislike Russian nationalist appropriation of Communist symbols and brands in Belarus, Russia and Ukraine, and I do agree with UR's assessment of the current parties in Ukraine, but I don't think banning parties and symbols is the answer. Any country that has to do stuff like that comes across as very insecure to me, which isn't a good thing.

Yes, I would agree with that. I think Germany is "insecure" - not necessarily in terms of military etc, rather I don't think Germans are quite at ease with the early-mid 20th century in their history. I can't blame them, and I don't know what needs to be done to improve the situation.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15772 on: April 06, 2015, 11:59:04 am »

Hey, can we please leave the AGG material to the AGG thread?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15773 on: April 06, 2015, 11:59:44 am »

Saying "we would have been conquered by Nazis!" Doesn't make the USSR good, just that they were better than the alternatives. When every option is shitty, you don't take the least shitty option and say it's made of gold, you take it and work/wait/hope for an actually good one. And when you actually DO get a better (still shitty) option? You don't venerate the old least-shit option.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15774 on: April 06, 2015, 12:08:06 pm »

Saying "we would have been conquered by Nazis!" Doesn't make the USSR good, just that they were better than the alternatives. When every option is shitty, you don't take the least shitty option and say it's made of gold, you take it and work/wait/hope for an actually good one. And when you actually DO get a better (still shitty) option? You don't venerate the old least-shit option.
Thing is, USSR was better than both Nazi Germany and Russian Empire by a mile. In all Russian history, that period (Stalin's rule) is probably the one of maximum growth. From a war battered country with barely any industry, with mass famines every 5 years, with 90% of population being barely literal peasants, with an anti-intellectual ruling class, to a industrial powerhouse with close to zero famines afterwards, with mass literacy, and with people having a real chance to get a better quality of life through hard work.
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15775 on: April 06, 2015, 12:23:11 pm »

Thing is, USSR was better than both Nazi Germany and Russian Empire by a mile.
Still doesn't make it not-shitty.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15776 on: April 06, 2015, 12:25:52 pm »

You have to say its gold though... or people won't accept its not-as-shittiness and be content with their shittier alternatives.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15777 on: April 06, 2015, 12:31:20 pm »

Ah yes, the zero famines of Stalinist rule, such as the non-existent 1932-1933 Ukrainean famine. Grain harvest also fell from 73.3 million tons in 1928 to 67.6 by 1934, numbers of cattle fell from 70 million to 34 million between 1928-1932, sheep and goats from 146 to 42 million, pigs from 26 to 9 million. Agricultural development started increasing later, but even then there were problems. That's not even mentioning the chaos and deaths caused by the hunt for kulaks that were a part of Stalin's collectivization.

(Source here is Stephen Lee's European Dictatorships 1918-1945, if anyone is interested. The first time I've had a source literally sitting in my lap when needed.)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15778 on: April 06, 2015, 12:41:16 pm »

To be honest, the post-Stalin USSR was a batter place than the pre-Stalin USSR. The part in between had its downside though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15779 on: April 06, 2015, 12:44:44 pm »

Ah yes, the zero famines of Stalinist rule, such as the non-existent 1932-1933 Ukrainean famine. Grain harvest also fell from 73.3 million tons in 1928 to 67.6 by 1934, numbers of cattle fell from 70 million to 34 million between 1928-1932, sheep and goats from 146 to 42 million, pigs from 26 to 9 million. Agricultural development started increasing later, but even then there were problems. That's not even mentioning the chaos and deaths caused by the hunt for kulaks that were a part of Stalin's collectivization.

(Source here is Stephen Lee's European Dictatorships 1918-1945, if anyone is interested. The first time I've had a source literally sitting in my lap when needed.)

Thing is, USSR was better than both Nazi Germany and Russian Empire by a mile. In all Russian history, that period (Stalin's rule) is probably the one of maximum growth. From a war battered country with barely any industry, with mass famines every 5 years, with 90% of population being barely literal peasants, with an anti-intellectual ruling class, to a industrial powerhouse with close to zero famines afterwards, with mass literacy, and with people having a real chance to get a better quality of life through hard work.

afterward
Tweet
adverb af·ter·ward \ˈaf-tə(r)-wərd\

: at a later time : after something has happened

Of fucking course I meant no famines after Stalin's rule!

How stupid you must think me to be to believe that there were no famines during early USSR period?!
._.
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1393