Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751076 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15750 on: April 05, 2015, 08:14:01 am »

Actually we want to ban sickle and hammer and other Soviet stuff.

It never was a good idea to ban a part of your history, at least to my knowledge.

Didn't you guys in Russia (not sure about Belarus) also do the same thing with banning communist parties?
Of cause not. They build Stalin's statues

Banning a particular party type is different from building statues.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15751 on: April 05, 2015, 08:24:40 am »

It never was a good idea to ban a part of your history, at least to my knowledge.

Didn't you guys in Russia (not sure about Belarus) also do the same thing with banning communist parties?
They banned 1 communist party (the KPSS, the party of USSR), not all of them. Banning communist parties as a whole would be... very un-democratic.

Besides, why would we ban Stalin's statues? He took a country where 90% of people lived in complete shit and had close-to-zero chances to become living in not-shit and turned it into a country where about 50% of people lived in less shit and had real chances to become living in not-shit.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:30:13 am by Sergarr »
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15752 on: April 05, 2015, 08:25:06 am »

Banning a part of history? It is calling a part of history what it is. In Germany history is not banned, but I wish you luck to walk with swastikas or Hitler portraits on the streets and face no consequences.
This, a thousand times.

The German Communist Party, the KPD, is banned as well - look up Streitbare Demokratie for further information on the justification.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #15753 on: April 05, 2015, 08:28:00 am »

Banning a part of history? It is calling a part of history what it is. In Germany history is not banned, but I wish you luck to walk with swastikas or Hitler portraits on the streets and face no consequences.

Yet you get away with your S. Bandera dedicated torch marches. And swastikas.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15754 on: April 05, 2015, 08:29:15 am »

They banned 1 communist party (the KPSS, the party of USSR), not all of them. Banning communist parties as a whole would be... very un-democratic.

Oh, I misunderstood the specifics then, sorry.

Yet you get away with your S. Bandera dedicated torch marches. And swastikas.

Because they don't have the same laws?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15755 on: April 05, 2015, 08:35:26 am »

BTW, swastikas and sickle and hammer are planned to be banned by the exactly same law. :)

As for Torch marches... if Hitler used it it doesn't mean it is bad or that it means Nazi. Or I will claim that all vegetarians of the world are Hitler fans.

In Russia selling waffen-SS toy soldiers = undermining the dignity of veterans of World War II
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #15756 on: April 05, 2015, 08:42:34 am »

As for Torch marches... if Hitler used it it doesn't mean it is bad or that it means Nazi. Or I will claim that all vegetarians of the world are Hitler fans.

I would normally agree on that argument. But the very nature of torch marches and approval of deeds of S. Bandera are disturbing to me.

And that law you linked is genuinely stupid, yes. Those are toy soldiers, not Mein Kampf copies, ffs.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15757 on: April 05, 2015, 08:55:19 am »

The only 'torch march' that I can think of (or have a mental image of) is a rioting (or otherwise angry) mob with torches and pitchforks.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:04:13 am by smjjames »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15758 on: April 05, 2015, 11:18:09 am »

I'm not really a fan of banning ideas/parties/icons, mostly because if you open a can of worms like that, someone is going to want to go fishing...

Plus, at least with Germany, the swastika ban kind of goes weird places. Like banning it from video games about killing Nazis or about WW2, like Wolfenstein or Hearts of Iron. I mean I KIND of get it for Hearts of Iron, since you can play as Nazi Germany and the game doesn't take a stance either way on the party/Nazi Germany in-game, not much of one at least? But it's still historically accurate, it's not like the game is about you funding and creating a neo-nazi party to storm the modern Reichstag...

Or something. I don't like it. Muh freedums. Canadia!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15759 on: April 05, 2015, 07:51:41 pm »

The only 'torch march' that I can think of (or have a mental image of) is a rioting (or otherwise angry) mob with torches and pitchforks.
All it is, is a (generally) peaceful march with a bunch of people carrying torches, preferably at night. It's either awe-inspiring or terrifying, depending on your politics. The NDSAP was (in)famous for them.

I'm not really a fan of banning ideas/parties/icons, mostly because if you open a can of worms like that, someone is going to want to go fishing...

Plus, at least with Germany, the swastika ban kind of goes weird places. Like banning it from video games about killing Nazis or about WW2, like Wolfenstein or Hearts of Iron. I mean I KIND of get it for Hearts of Iron, since you can play as Nazi Germany and the game doesn't take a stance either way on the party/Nazi Germany in-game, not much of one at least? But it's still historically accurate, it's not like the game is about you funding and creating a neo-nazi party to storm the modern Reichstag...

Or something. I don't like it. Muh freedums. Canadia!
Yeah, swastika bans are obnoxious in video games. Another example is in World of Warships, where the Bismark won't have its deck painted in swastikas as it did historically, because reasons.

Why must historical accuracy be too much to ask?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:53:27 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15760 on: April 05, 2015, 07:57:38 pm »

I deeply dislike Russian nationalist appropriation of Communist symbols and brands in Belarus, Russia and Ukraine, and I do agree with UR's assessment of the current parties in Ukraine, but I don't think banning parties and symbols is the answer. Any country that has to do stuff like that comes across as very insecure to me, which isn't a good thing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15761 on: April 05, 2015, 10:48:51 pm »

I deeply dislike Russian nationalist appropriation of Communist symbols and brands in Belarus, Russia and Ukraine, and I do agree with UR's assessment of the current parties in Ukraine, but I don't think banning parties and symbols is the answer. Any country that has to do stuff like that comes across as very insecure to me, which isn't a good thing.

AAAND you just called Germany insecure ;D

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15762 on: April 06, 2015, 02:30:10 am »

And it isn't?

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15763 on: April 06, 2015, 03:45:17 am »

I thought that kind of defined our modern German culture. Including the overcompensating idiots.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15764 on: April 06, 2015, 06:01:54 am »

Yeah, it belongs to our national mythos just like not having a decent social security net belongs to that of the US. There's a fair point to be made that the BRD - its national mythos, that is - has its roots in Auschwitz.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1393