Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751406 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15630 on: March 26, 2015, 01:18:27 pm »

I think the easiest thing to do to avoid this kind of things happening in the future would be to make sure pilots' and flight crew's work conditions aren't horrible.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15631 on: March 26, 2015, 01:22:37 pm »

I think the easiest thing to do to avoid this kind of things happening in the future would be to make sure pilots' and flight crew's work conditions aren't horrible.

We don't even know what the co-pilots motivation was, so it might not even be that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15632 on: March 26, 2015, 01:23:07 pm »

I'm quite sure this german pilot's working conditions weren't horrible at all. Pilots are pampered. The only thing that comes with the job is long waking hours on long distance flights. Pilot's salaries more than compensate for that though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15633 on: March 26, 2015, 01:53:35 pm »

That's not really the case any more. I don't know if this was a low cost flight or not (i just assumed it was because there was a school using it), but if it was I really doubt they had anywhere near decent working conditions, and even if it wasn't the pressure from low cost companies has meant that "regular" flight companies need to save money, and the over-abundance of pilots has meant a lot of those savings has been taken out on the crew, their conditions, and work health.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15634 on: March 26, 2015, 02:30:47 pm »

IIRC Germanwings is the low-cost division of Lufthansa, yeah.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15635 on: March 26, 2015, 02:39:10 pm »

IIRC Germanwings is the low-cost division of Lufthansa, yeah.
I knew there was some catch in them fancy "low-costers"!
._.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15636 on: March 26, 2015, 04:23:25 pm »

If Putin really wanted to resurrect USSR, he would have disbanded the free market economy in Russia and re-instated planned economy. That's like, #1 thing which made USSR unique and special.
Being world superpower was most significant property of entity called "USSR", not it's economic system.

It is pretty obvious what I had in mind and other people here did not had any problem with understanding what I meant. I think you know what I meant too. You are obfuscating on purpose.

Let's repeat it again: in my opinion, Putin want to resurrect USSR. By that I mean making Russia world superpower again - and in same way as original USSR: at expense of neighbour countries. In current times that means Georgia and Ukraine. Who will be next? What do you think?

We should start shooting them down, claiming we did not know they were Russian. Let's pit our chuzpa against Putin's.
I hope you are not serious. ::)
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15637 on: March 26, 2015, 04:34:06 pm »

Let's repeat it again: in my opinion, Putin want to resurrect USSR. By that I mean making Russia world superpower again - and in same way as original USSR: at expense of neighbour countries. In current times that means Georgia and Ukraine. Who will be next? What do you think?
Wouldn't it be better to say Putin wants to make Russia a superpower again, instead? Saying he want to revive the USSR usually is interpreted as actually reforming the USSR.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15638 on: March 26, 2015, 04:39:17 pm »

If Putin really wanted to resurrect USSR, he would have disbanded the free market economy in Russia and re-instated planned economy. That's like, #1 thing which made USSR unique and special.
Being world superpower was most significant property of entity called "USSR", not it's economic system.

It is pretty obvious what I had in mind and other people here did not had any problem with understanding what I meant. I think you know what I meant too. You are obfuscating on purpose.

No, the most significant property of USSR was it's economical system and the corresponding political system which was called "communism". US was world's superpower, and I don't see you riling up against it, even though it has oppressed plenty of states in the past (especially in South America). So the actual cause is "communism".

USSR has achieved a status of world's superpower through "communism", through it's economical and political system that allowed to turn a mostly agrarian Russian Empire into a heavily industrialized state - USSR, which was a necessary condition for repelling Nazi Germany's invasion and domination of the neighbors.

You say that USSR has achieved a status of world's superpower at the expense of the neighbors, but you're wrong - it was already a world's superpower. USSR was already a world's superpower before conquering it's neighbors. You can see it by how USSR has coerced the world's leaders into helping it - even people like Churchill, who had absolutely no reasons to do that and all reasons to do the opposite - and through that help achieved victory over Germany, claiming half of Europe in the way. That is something that only a world's superpower could've done.
._.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15639 on: March 26, 2015, 05:07:15 pm »

I'm quite sure this german pilot's working conditions weren't horrible at all. Pilots are pampered. The only thing that comes with the job is long waking hours on long distance flights. Pilot's salaries more than compensate for that though.
Salaries don't compensate psychological unstability from sleep deprivation.

Besides, this sort of "X profession gets paid a lot so they shouldn't complain about shitty condition Y"... in my experience it tends to conceal that they don't get paid all that much, and that Y is particularily shitty and prevalent.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #15640 on: March 26, 2015, 05:28:48 pm »

To be honest, I really don't see any obvious solution here. The crash happened because the co-pilot was left alone and wanted to fuck shit up. Either a) don't leave him alone or b) make them stop wanting to fuck shit up. Since that's too simple to be a viable solution for the public, Lufthansa will pay billions to invent some retina-scanner, keycard requiring fingerprint triggered doors that only work for pilots. And then flip their shit when it doesn't work and it happens all over again.

So just don't do anything.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15641 on: March 26, 2015, 05:37:35 pm »

No, the most significant property of USSR was it's economical system and the corresponding political system which was called "communism".
Whatever. I made clear what I meant.

US was world's superpower,
It still is and will be for few decades. Later China will probably overtake USA.

and I don't see you riling up against it
You do not know me nor my opinion of USA.

I am riling against Russia, because I live in country that is uncomfortably close to one certain country that is currently in proccess of being fucked up by totally-not-Russia (yeah, riiight). USA is far away and it's moronic military misadventures are far away too, not like moronic military misadventures of Russia. This is why my concern about USA is significantly smaller than my concern about Russia.

You say that USSR has achieved a status of world's superpower at the expense of the neighbors, but you're wrong - it was already a world's superpower. USSR was already a world's superpower before conquering it's neighbors.
I disagree. Obviously Russia was great empire before USSR, but it became superpower after second world war (and resulting changes in world order, including getting tons of countries either under Soviet sphere of influence or outrightly including them in USSR - this is what I meant by "at expense").
I think even concept of "world superpower" came to existence after second world war, when two countries, USA and USSR came to the top. AFAIK only other nation that was described as superpower was British Empire.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15642 on: March 26, 2015, 05:41:35 pm »

Ok, let me rephrase: Putin wants to lead a superpower. Being a superpower is the aspect of the USSR that Putin is most interested in. He is a fan of that part. The other parts vary: some of them come with the territory and are embraced (an abrasive attitude in world affairs), others are incidental (like communism) and will be left behind.
You can see it by how USSR has coerced the world's leaders into helping it - even people like Churchill, who had absolutely no reasons to do that and all reasons to do the opposite.
This amused me deeply. So Churchill was all like "naah russia we got this bro, we don't need no help" as bombs fell on London, but was coerced by Russia's strong performance at the start of Operation Barbarossa.
To be honest, I really don't see any obvious solution here. The crash happened because the co-pilot was left alone and wanted to fuck shit up. Either a) don't leave him alone
This is FAA policy in the United States. It's been policy since 2002. So yeah that is kinda an obvious solution.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15643 on: March 26, 2015, 06:31:49 pm »

... coerced by Russia's strong performance at the start of Operation Barbarossa.

Shit man, that had me laughing for a whole minute, and it is 2 AM here. Probably waked the neighbours up too.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15644 on: March 27, 2015, 03:38:32 am »

Ok, let me rephrase: Putin wants to lead a superpower. Being a superpower is the aspect of the USSR that Putin is most interested in. He is a fan of that part. The other parts vary: some of them come with the territory and are embraced (an abrasive attitude in world affairs), others are incidental (like communism) and will be left behind.
But being a superpower without having a strong economical and political system behind you is impossible. Current Russia cannot physically be a world's superpower. Without communism or any other strong ideology, this is not possible. I don't believe that Putin doesn't know that.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1393