Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749824 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15120 on: March 04, 2015, 01:06:04 pm »

Heh, 70 years is the standard yeah, but there are some intellectual properties that have already exceeded that and they lobby Congress for an extension.

For example, go look at Disney and Copyright and Intellectual Property. Mickey Mouse should have gone to the public domain years ago, but Disney keeps asking Congress to give their IPs extensions and Congress keeps agreeing. So we don't even really respect our own IP laws, when its in some rich companies best interest not to.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15121 on: March 04, 2015, 01:12:04 pm »

The usual argument is "It's still profitable!!", which certain congress cretins seem to think is the holy of holies.
"We cant DARE get in the way of big businesses making MONEY! Public domain? Who makes money on THAT!?"

One need look no further than the address Mrs Bono gave to congress for the first set of such extensions, where she outright says she wants the copyrights to last for eternity. (No, really.) (While this is US centric, our IP laws seem to have hentai tentacles that reach around the globe.)

Personally, I feel that if you cant make a profit on your work within 20 years, (During which market forces can change radically, and long term amortization is a farce beyond) then you are doing it wrong.  Copyright is supposed to be an incentive, NOT a blank cheque to work once, then sit on your laurels.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15122 on: March 04, 2015, 01:24:42 pm »

To note: I think that the person who invented something can still be allowed to profit from selling it - but he shouldn't be allowed to prevent others from doing the same. So both the original author and other people gain incentives to compete with each other for improving upon the original product. If the original one can outcompete others - good, if others outcompete the original - also good.

For God's sake, competition is supposed to be the main reason why free market is supposed to be better that central planning, why are there laws specifically designed to destroy competition in a (supposedly) free market society? Shouldn't the proponents of these laws be called out as "evil communists"?
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15123 on: March 04, 2015, 02:24:32 pm »

And this, my friends, is why we must turn our attention to the rebellious colonies after we've... dealt with those pesky Muscovites.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15124 on: March 04, 2015, 02:36:17 pm »

For God's sake, competition is supposed to be the main reason why free market is supposed to be better that central planning, why are there laws specifically designed to destroy competition in a (supposedly) free market society? Shouldn't the proponents of these laws be called out as "evil communists"?

Because in the real world you dont build your systems around absolutes.

Competition is good in some places, in other places it does more harm then good.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15125 on: March 04, 2015, 05:12:16 pm »

The pollster Lord Ashcroft decided to poll 8,000 people in marginal seats ahead of the general election. In Scotland he polled a few constituencies of interest - The results are absolutely astonishing. According to the poll the SNP would take Kirkcaldy - Gordon Brown's seat. If that rubber-jawed, lying, bloated grandee windbag wasn't standing down in May he'd lose the seat. Same with Menzies Campbell - swine that he is, and Alistair Darling too. Dumfriesshire, the last Tory stronghold, has the SNP at the Tories neck and neck at 34%/34%.

Of the marginals polled individually, the only Labour seat that would be held in Scotland would be East Renfrewshire - by 1%. That's good news for Labour, considering the constituency belongs to Scottish Labour leader Jim Murphy. If he loses his seat he'll lose his job faster than Wendy Alexander, which is saying something.

If these enormous swings (20% swing in some cases e.g. Dumfries and Galloway, which voted No) were replicated across the country the SNP would end up taking something like 56/59 Scottish Westminster seats, leaving the Northern Isles under Lib Dem control, East Renfrewshire with Labour and possibly Dumfriesshire with the Tory Mundell. I can't explain how insane this is - this is mind-bendingly crazy. I can't wrap my head around it. It's so mind bendingly crazy I'm going to end up shaving my beard into a handlebar moustache and joining Cobra Commander in his dastardly schemes.

Analysis from the Tory Lord himself.

Scottish Conservative writer Alex Massie has similar views, speaking of it in apocalyptic terms.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:54:17 pm by Owlbread »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15126 on: March 04, 2015, 06:01:02 pm »

"Night of the long claymores" sounds like something out of Highlander.

At least I know now that the Scotland ain't taking the English "devolution" bullshit any longer.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15127 on: March 04, 2015, 06:02:20 pm »

Yeah the Highlander episode with the Nazis.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15128 on: March 04, 2015, 06:04:05 pm »

At least I know now that the Scotland ain't taking the English "devolution" bullshit any longer.

Well, there's the issue that the SNP are very popular in Scotland because they're the most competent party and know what they're doing, and are the party best placed to secure maximum devolution for Scotland - something Scots have consistently indicated is their overall constitutional preference. The idea is that Scotland would have control over pretty much everything apart from defence and foreign affairs. This is nothing I could stand, you understand, but that's where Scots are right now in their mindsets. People need to understand in general that the Scottish public look at the constitution in a very detached way - they're very mercantile in their approach. It's all about how much we can gain/lose economically. Now, I think that majority of the public is actually slimmer than Scottish journalists think it is (45% voted for independence, and the majority of them that I met didn't look at Scotland in that way) but all the same we need to understand that for when we're convincing them all next time.

I still think it will still take time before anything like independence will come our way but even in this case where we're diverging politically from the rest of the UK, Scotland is becoming more and more of a foreign country, almost like Ireland in the early 20th C. The Scottish Labour MPs in Westminster don't understand their own country anymore - I remember hearing Tom Harris, MP for Glasgow South saying something along those lines. They can't believe this is happening, let alone understand why and I don't think they ever will.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:08:42 pm by Owlbread »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15129 on: March 04, 2015, 06:05:08 pm »

Yeah the Highlander episode with the Nazis.

I liked "Highlander: Terminators of the Caribbean" better

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15130 on: March 04, 2015, 06:19:13 pm »

It's actually a play on this.

The reference is about as subtle as a thrown brick.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15131 on: March 04, 2015, 06:24:23 pm »

It's actually a play on this.

The reference is about as subtle as a thrown brick.
Looks like this has became a regular political tactic: something that you don't like happens? Cry Hitler!
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15132 on: March 04, 2015, 06:27:22 pm »

Looks like this has became a regular political tactic: something that you don't like happens? Cry Hitler!

The number of times the SNP or pro-independence people in general have been compared to the Nazis is unbelievable. 

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15133 on: March 04, 2015, 07:28:17 pm »

SHP: Scottish Hitler Party?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15134 on: March 06, 2015, 10:23:01 am »

o/^ Let's stay together
But not too together o/^
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 1393