Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758540 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12960 on: November 15, 2014, 12:09:13 pm »

I'm wondering how long it takes until people realise that I don't actually live on the European mainland.
Aren't you a penguin, living on an ice cube in the North Sea?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: November 15, 2014, 12:15:18 pm »

darvi is actually a fellow 14 year old j-

* LordSlowpoke shakes head

you're not meant to notice that

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #12962 on: November 15, 2014, 03:15:01 pm »

Darvi is just a domesticated kitchen spam bot. Stop picking on him you non-AI scum.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12963 on: November 15, 2014, 03:24:21 pm »

speaking of kitchenbots, where did they go?
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12964 on: November 15, 2014, 03:24:32 pm »

But I am Russian. It's just that I know that most Russian sources are much more biased than European ones, and the chances of having a reasonable discussion with other Russians are close to zero. I wouldn't be able to know as much about the world if I remained confined in the tethers of the Russian language. But despite that, I still consider myself Russian, because my home is Russia. It's my country, and I don't want to live in a different one. It may be not the best, but it's still my country. Even if it may consider me in the future a traitor for some stupid reason, I'll still wish to help it, because - it's my home.

I am not anti-Russian either. I know many Russians in real life and theres even a Russian family in the neighborhood. My criticism on Russian politics and the recent events is entirely disconnected from things like language, culture or race.

No, they're anti-Russia because they fear that we might invade them and steal their cookies.

Nobody in Russia is going to take the possibility of Estonia, Finland, of Sweden invading Russia seriously.

Exactly, and that is apparently considered a positive thing by many Russians. Except that those countries, among others, and their medias are not anti-Russian, but rather highly critic of what Russia is doing and give very high publicity to each and every Russian politic or official saying this or that incredibly stupid, often highly nationalistic, and usually without an exception made up things about their neighbors. Such as that Norway hunts Russian families and takes the custodies of Russian mothers in the hundreds, how Finland should be re-integrated to Russia, or how Estonia sends spies. While at the same time Russia herself is increasing her military presence globally, has annexed Crimea and is for many practical purposes in a state of war with Ukraine. The medias of those same countries were equally critic of the US war in Iraq, for example.

Russia has given the finger to so many agreements this year alone as well as annexed a part of another, sovereign, country that it is impossible to regard her as a reliable partner in anything. Thats why Putin got a freezing reception at Brisbane yesterday.

A friend of mine who is considerably more knowledgeable of Russia than me thinks that the current events may be mostly ad-hoc actions aiming to get Putin re-elected in 2018 and possibly to keep his support high for 2016 Duma elections. After either one of those things may be(and hopefully!) calming down, or at worst, escalate further against the so called West.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12965 on: November 15, 2014, 03:25:39 pm »

they're in this thread

* LordSlowpoke slams sergie with a £499/3 fully furnished kitchen

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12966 on: November 15, 2014, 03:29:38 pm »

they're in this thread

* LordSlowpoke slams sergie with a £499/3 fully furnished kitchen
*insert edited Oglaf strip*

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: November 15, 2014, 05:19:33 pm »

But I am Russian. It's just that I know that most Russian sources are much more biased than European ones, and the chances of having a reasonable discussion with other Russians are close to zero. I wouldn't be able to know as much about the world if I remained confined in the tethers of the Russian language. But despite that, I still consider myself Russian, because my home is Russia. It's my country, and I don't want to live in a different one. It may be not the best, but it's still my country. Even if it may consider me in the future a traitor for some stupid reason, I'll still wish to help it, because - it's my home.

I am not anti-Russian either. I know many Russians in real life and theres even a Russian family in the neighborhood. My criticism on Russian politics and the recent events is entirely disconnected from things like language, culture or race.

No, they're anti-Russia because they fear that we might invade them and steal their cookies.

Nobody in Russia is going to take the possibility of Estonia, Finland, of Sweden invading Russia seriously.

Exactly, and that is apparently considered a positive thing by many Russians. Except that those countries, among others, and their medias are not anti-Russian, but rather highly critic of what Russia is doing and give very high publicity to each and every Russian politic or official saying this or that incredibly stupid, often highly nationalistic, and usually without an exception made up things about their neighbors. Such as that Norway hunts Russian families and takes the custodies of Russian mothers in the hundreds, how Finland should be re-integrated to Russia, or how Estonia sends spies. While at the same time Russia herself is increasing her military presence globally, has annexed Crimea and is for many practical purposes in a state of war with Ukraine. The medias of those same countries were equally critic of the US war in Iraq, for example.

Russia has given the finger to so many agreements this year alone as well as annexed a part of another, sovereign, country that it is impossible to regard her as a reliable partner in anything. Thats why Putin got a freezing reception at Brisbane yesterday.

A friend of mine who is considerably more knowledgeable of Russia than me thinks that the current events may be mostly ad-hoc actions aiming to get Putin re-elected in 2018 and possibly to keep his support high for 2016 Duma elections. After either one of those things may be(and hopefully!) calming down, or at worst, escalate further against the so called West.
Why would Putin aim to raise his rating now when elections are four years in the future?

Everybody will forget about this. It'll be just like the recent elections in USA where Republicans have won, despite the governmental shutdown thingie three years ago after which everybody said that their reputation has been tarnished forever.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12968 on: November 15, 2014, 05:28:56 pm »

The shutdown as last year, not three years ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_government_shutdown_of_2013 , and Sergarr, I think you're getting mixed up with the whole debacle where the government (republicans in particular) decided to play chicken with the US debt.

Theres another shutdown threat looming though, this time over immigration.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:31:14 pm by smjjames »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12969 on: November 15, 2014, 05:52:37 pm »

Sergarr: a good opportunity presented itself in Ukraine and he/they took it?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: November 15, 2014, 05:58:15 pm »

I doubt it has anything to do with a vote that'll happen 4 years in the future, though.

I can see him doing it for military reasons, for popularity, but not for a vote. It's not like he would have any trouble with rigging the vote to his favor.
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: November 15, 2014, 05:59:11 pm »

I doubt it has anything to do with a vote that'll happen 4 years in the future, though.

I can see him doing it for military reasons, for popularity, but not for a vote. It's not like he would have any trouble with rigging the vote to his favor.

I agree. And as that person added, "no peoples change their opinions as quick as the Russians".  :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: November 15, 2014, 06:03:28 pm »

It was like he almost couldn't wait for the Olympics to be over before going in there. The closing ceremonies had barely finished when he did all that with Crimea.

He also evidently doesn't care about his international relations because he simply threw away any gains from the Olympics.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: November 16, 2014, 12:53:22 am »

I should point out that the only person in Brisbane yesterday who got a worse reception that Putin was tony Abbott.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: November 16, 2014, 07:20:42 pm »

On Wednesday, Alex Salmond First Minister of Scotland (our national leader) will step down formally and be replaced by Nicola Sturgeon.

In light of that, here is a quote for my American friends from an account by one of Salmond's economic advisors:

Quote from: Jennifer Erickson
Once, in America,  a prominent Republican politician was talking about how much he loved Scotland, but he didn't understand how the home of "the great capitalist Adam Smith" as the Republican put it could have ended up "so darn liberal". Alex smiled. "Well Senator, " he said. "I think you'll find that in Scotland, we read the whole book."

You should try that one if you ever get the chance.
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 1393