Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758290 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12810 on: November 12, 2014, 09:17:43 am »

For a moment I thought it said "American".

The link just got a lot less interesting after I noticed my mistake :P

God you people are the worst.  It's the EUROPEAN politics thread.

said the person who advocated that being an asshole is acceptable because this is a flamewar thread anyway

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12811 on: November 12, 2014, 09:47:26 am »

Have you heard about the word "compromise"? One of the key ideas of modern democracies - majority rules but doesn't take steps that are unacceptable for minority. And there are no other way to build a stable society.

I wish the republicans (the tea party people in particular) here in the US had the concept of 'compromise' :P
Yeah, because Obama is so good at it himself. "Well, they won't let me do everything I want to do!" just isn't a valid complaint outside of a national emergency. If the people wanted Obama to be able to do said things with the consent of Congress, they would have elected people who agreed with him.

He's hardly the first president who's had to deal with Congress not liking him very much. He's just very bad at it.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12812 on: November 12, 2014, 09:54:08 am »

Have you heard about the word "compromise"? One of the key ideas of modern democracies - majority rules but doesn't take steps that are unacceptable for minority. And there are no other way to build a stable society.

I wish the republicans (the tea party people in particular) here in the US had the concept of 'compromise' :P
Yeah, because Obama is so good at it himself. "Well, they won't let me do everything I want to do!" just isn't a valid complaint outside of a national emergency. If the people wanted Obama to be able to do said things with the consent of Congress, they would have elected people who agreed with him.

He's hardly the first president who's had to deal with Congress not liking him very much. He's just very bad at it.

It's going both ways, the republicans don't want to compromise very well with the democrats in congress, which ends up with Obama being frustrated that congress isn't doing anything besides gridlock.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12813 on: November 12, 2014, 09:54:30 am »

There's so much wrong with that post that I have no idea where to begin. Good thing I don't need to, because this is entirely the wrong thread to do so.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12814 on: November 12, 2014, 09:59:00 am »

Fucken Amurrica in our Eurotrash thread. Thanks Obama!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12815 on: November 12, 2014, 09:59:23 am »

It's going both ways, the republicans don't want to compromise very well with the democrats in congress, which ends up with Obama being frustrated that congress isn't doing anything besides gridlock.
Ah, working as intended then.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12816 on: November 12, 2014, 10:04:39 am »

There's so much wrong with that post that I have no idea where to begin. Good thing I don't need to, because this is entirely the wrong thread to do so.

Which post? and true, it's offtopic for this one.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12817 on: November 12, 2014, 10:06:50 am »

Morrigi's.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12818 on: November 12, 2014, 10:13:29 am »

For a moment I thought it said "American".

The link just got a lot less interesting after I noticed my mistake :P

God you people are the worst.  It's the EUROPEAN politics thread.
Both countries are in Europe, and a possible war in Europe involving the US is certainly of greater interest than the continued bickering of some Caucasian nations with unresolved issues.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12819 on: November 12, 2014, 10:16:16 am »

Anybody else find these constant derails funny in light of how geopolitics used to be Euro-centric?  Even in issues where the US has a tiny influence like Ukraine the attention goes to the US.

Both countries are in Europe

Aw hell no we aint in Europe.  Keep your hands off or we'll give you the Atlantis treatment.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12820 on: November 12, 2014, 10:16:38 am »

Both countries are in Europe, and a possible war in Europe involving the US is certainly of greater interest than the continued bickering of some Caucasian nations with unresolved issues.

If we deem the Caucasian countries, including the South Caucasian ones, to be in Europe - surely we should consider Iraq and Kurdistan also European? And Western/North Western Iran?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:19:37 am by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12821 on: November 12, 2014, 10:32:23 am »

If we deem the Caucasian countries, including the South Caucasian ones, to be in Europe - surely we should consider Iraq and Kurdistan also European? And Western/North Western Iran?

UEFA says that Israel is a European country so... :)

Caucasus mountains are considered to be a border between Europe and Asia but that is a vague definition.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12822 on: November 12, 2014, 10:35:41 am »

Both countries are in Europe

Aw hell no we aint in Europe.  Keep your hands off or we'll give you the Atlantis treatment.
I meant Armenia and Azerbaijan, but I see now that that Armenia was irrelevant.

Owlbread, Georgia is considered European, and thus it's reasonable to do the same for the whole Caucasus. To be fair, the border between Asia and Europe is ill-defined in that region.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12823 on: November 12, 2014, 03:28:13 pm »

I meant Armenia and Azerbaijan, but I see now that that Armenia was irrelevant.

Owlbread, Georgia is considered European, and thus it's reasonable to do the same for the whole Caucasus. To be fair, the border between Asia and Europe is ill-defined in that region.

Again though, at what point do we draw the border? Azerbaijan extends somewhat beyond the Caucasus into North-Western Iran. If we go down that far, why not include Kurdistan if we include Turkey? As UR points out Israel is sometimes considered a European country.

I think "Europe" is quite a nebulous idea, you know. It really is.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #12824 on: November 12, 2014, 03:33:12 pm »

Meanwhile, Ukraine:

Russian troops crossed border, Nato says

Now, before anyone jumps on the title, yes, this is a comment made by the US general with no obvious proof to back it up but one thing does seem to be certain - there were several reports of (unmarked) heavy armed convoys moving around the crisis zone, foreshadowing yet further intensification of the conflict. :-\
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1393