Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758239 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12825 on: November 12, 2014, 03:37:45 pm »

The OP says something about our definition of Europe being flexible enough to include Turkey and Russia. Kurdistan could fit in, but we have a Middle-Eastern thread so...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12826 on: November 12, 2014, 03:41:35 pm »

at what point do we draw the border? Azerbaijan extends somewhat beyond the Caucasus into North-Western Iran. If we go down that far, why not include Kurdistan if we include Turkey? As UR points out Israel is sometimes considered a European country.

border is drawn at: urals/caspian sea/caucasus/black sea/bosphorus with some fuckery re: aegean islands

azerbaijan, kazakhstan, turkey, etc. are asian countries with european territories, this is derived from where the majority of the land (or population in russia's scenario) is located

kurdistan is firmly middle east thread territory unless in the context of turkey wanting to join the eu again and being denied because of its leadership being composed of mr. autocrat islamist and friends or something of that nature

israel is included in the europe definition because america is being a bunch of fuckasses and i should not have to explain this one further

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12827 on: November 12, 2014, 04:08:41 pm »

america is being a bunch of fuckasses and i should not have to explain this one further
Politics in a sentence.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12828 on: November 12, 2014, 04:15:21 pm »

I thought Israel was only considered a european country during Eurosong finals.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12829 on: November 12, 2014, 05:15:13 pm »

Meanwhile, Ukraine:

Russian troops crossed border, Nato says

Now, before anyone jumps on the title, yes, this is a comment made by the US general with no obvious proof to back it up but one thing does seem to be certain - there were several reports of (unmarked) heavy armed convoys moving around the crisis zone, foreshadowing yet further intensification of the conflict. :-\
They cross border every day since June, so what?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12830 on: November 12, 2014, 06:20:46 pm »

And people who don't go to vote are not being forced to not go to vote, you know.

Very naive. Voter supression is extremely common.

Just in America's Southern States this has included putting fake election reminders in black people's letter boxes with a false date for the election, Republican squads pretending to be election monitors and turning black people away from polling booths, telling them they'll be arrested for voting if they have parking tickets (which is false). Pretty much every conceivable attempt to block blacks from voting just because they tend to vote for the Democrat party. Plus, there's infamous stuff like the Florida voting ban on "criminals" who turned out not to be "criminals". 1000's of regular people were wrongly banned from voting, because they "sort of" had similar names to known criminals. They got all the details wrong. Except race. Every person banned "just happened" to be black.

And the strict voter ID laws which are presented as a way to prevent voter fraud (which there are very few cases on record, less than 1 per 1 million votes cast in the USA) overwhelmingly hits marginal groups, many of whom vote Democrat - poor people, women, blacks and the elderly. The line is "everyone has valid ID". But that only turns out to be true of middle-class and wealthy neighborhoods. Tens of millions of poorer native-born Americans, who should have the right to vote don't have a set of current ID, so they're turned away at the polls. Here's the breakdown on how many people are affected, we're talking maybe 10-20% of ALL adult Americans can theoretically be blocked from voting by these "ID" laws. Certainly enough to swing an election.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/11/05/five-reasons-voter-identification-bills-disproportionately-impact-women/

Here are a list of incidents from a few countries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_suppression

Example:
Shortly before the Canadian 2011 Federal Election, vote suppression tactics were exercised by issuing robocalls and live calls to notify voters that their polling station had changed. The locations offered by these messages were intentionally false, often to lead voters several hours from the correct stations, and often identified themselves illegally as coming from Elections Canada.

So it happens all the time in "advanced" countries. In poorer countries with more corruption and less judicial oversight it probably happens as well and is more overtly violent.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:41:48 pm by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12831 on: November 12, 2014, 08:59:38 pm »

Meanwhile, Ukraine:

Russian troops crossed border, Nato says

Now, before anyone jumps on the title, yes, this is a comment made by the US general with no obvious proof to back it up but one thing does seem to be certain - there were several reports of (unmarked) heavy armed convoys moving around the crisis zone, foreshadowing yet further intensification of the conflict. :-\
They cross border every day since June, so what?
But now white people have started to notice! Non-slavic white people! Don't you know only non-slavic white people are the only people who matter?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12832 on: November 12, 2014, 10:40:18 pm »

yeah, because people haven't been shouting "hey guys this is happening but we totally won't disclose our sources" for months now

yep

mhmm

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12833 on: November 13, 2014, 06:28:14 am »

I want to know when World economy will  collapse because:

MILAN, October 17 (RIA Novosti) – Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday that world economy will collapse if oil prices remain at $80 per barrel.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12834 on: November 13, 2014, 07:04:31 am »

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:08:57 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12835 on: November 13, 2014, 07:14:39 am »

Cyprus attracts people in need of a tax haven.

It's a bit silly to use EU countries only in the graphics when there are more countries than that in the EEA. You can see on the bottom that a large number of Poles have found work in Norway, yet on the map it's mysteriously swallowed by the North Sea.

I would like to see a graphics to show the statistics over time, since the trend might have been changing.

I wonder if the 21350 brits who have left UK for work in other EEA countries appreciate Cameron's rumblings about leaving the free flow of workers pillar.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:20:20 am by olemars »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12836 on: November 13, 2014, 07:46:11 am »

Also, what the hell, Cyprus.
It looks like they all came from greece actually.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12837 on: November 13, 2014, 07:50:17 am »

Uh, never realized we had so many poles in Belgium. Would that include EU workers?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12838 on: November 13, 2014, 08:08:07 am »

Well, it's been like that in Poland since we have become a green island in the red sea of the crisis, and since the Glorious King of All European Union (former prime minister of Poland) Donald Tusk, the Sun of Peru took power here. No surprises here. From what I gather, you can easily earn about 3 to 4 times as much in UK than in Poland, which is the most important factor here.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12839 on: November 13, 2014, 08:28:44 am »

I think it is a covert operation. One day all that Polish "workers" will take arms and annex EU forming a glorious Polish Empire
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 1393