Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752238 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10500 on: September 08, 2014, 08:26:47 am »

Which one is Daily Mail? I'm guessing it's either "Don't let me be the last Queen of Scotland" or "No, we will not share the pound".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: September 08, 2014, 09:10:50 am »

My money's on "Only Ten Days Left to Save Britain."
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: September 08, 2014, 09:13:25 am »

I'm just going to point out that EU rules don't let you discriminate between your citizens and citizens from other member states for university education. Either Scotland will be offering free university to any European or they'll do like most other countries and offer it to Scottish EU residents rather than citizens.

I believe that currently EU residents are or will be able to receive free university education in the future in accordance with EU laws. In spite of that however we do have some kind of "quota" system which means Scottish residents take preference of university placements so that seems to be how we plan to fight the swamping scenario.

what am i going to do for two years in scotland

The country is your oyster. What line of work floats your boat? We have a lot of migrant workers in this country doing all sorts of work, both manual and in the service industry and elsewhere.

Why would the Queen care, I thought that Scotland had decided to keep her as their Queen or something?

We have, she'll be Elizabeth I, Queen of Scots post-2016.

So that you understand her opposition, I will let you in on a big secret; the Queen is a Tory. Don't tell anyone though.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:16:40 am by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: September 08, 2014, 09:22:02 am »

Somehow, I get the feeling that Independent Scotland might not retain monarchy when people have to show passports to visit the monarch.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: September 08, 2014, 09:28:50 am »

Somehow, I get the feeling that Independent Scotland might not retain monarchy when people have to show passports to visit the monarch.

I'll let you in on another secret I'm not able to share in Scotland while campaigning; we will almost certainly become a Republic if we vote Yes. Even though we have a majority in favour of the Monarchy in Scotland (we actually do, seriously, just a smaller one than in England) I am certain that majority will crumble swiftly as we become an independent state and people get the taste for constitutional change. Who says we need to show passports though? I think the majority of Scots will still be British citizens even if we vote Yes.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: September 08, 2014, 09:32:22 am »

I think the majority of Scots will still be British citizens even if we vote Yes.
Why?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: September 08, 2014, 09:34:58 am »

Well, technically Scotland is a part of Britain regardless of it being part of the Union or not. Unless they start digging a trench so they become their own island, that is.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: September 08, 2014, 09:35:29 am »

Why?

I believe it was the case for people like folk from the West Indies/Jamaica etc after they gained independence, Pakistan and India too; that's why we gained an influx of immigrants from those areas after the 1940s and 50s. The people "coming over" were all British citizens. Freddie Mercury is a good example; an Indian/Parsi man from Zanzibar who was a full British citizen all of his life despite Zanzibar becoming independent and joining Tanganyika in 1964 or thereabouts.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:40:07 am by Owlbread »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: September 08, 2014, 09:40:07 am »

Are you saying you think the majority of Scots will flee to the UK after a Yes vote?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: September 08, 2014, 09:40:40 am »

Are you saying you think the majority of Scots will flee to the UK after a Yes vote?

No, not at all. I'm saying they'll have British citizenship just like the Jamaicans, Indians, Pakistanis etc.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: September 08, 2014, 09:41:57 am »

The UK might not be so friendly towards Ind. Scots once the permanent Conservative-UKIP coalition takes over. I could see them making a hardline border.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: September 08, 2014, 09:44:56 am »

The UK might not be so friendly towards Ind. Scots once the permanent Conservative-UKIP coalition takes over. I could see them making a hardline border.

If they did there would be no point. Why would they make life that much harder for us? I've been saying for years now that the question will stop being "how do we stop Scotland from becoming independent?" to "what kind of Scotland do we want as a neighbour?"

Do you think the Conservatives would really want to make their closest neighbour, one of two in the world with which they would share a land border, into some kind of enemy just out of sheer spite that we had the gall to become independent? I know I'm guilty of relying on the assumption that the world is full of rational actors, and UKIP are not rational, but I just can't see them making life that much harder. There would be no reason to do so.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10512 on: September 08, 2014, 09:46:55 am »

Spite is a powerful motivator, OB.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: September 08, 2014, 09:47:48 am »

I would like to point out that we still have the Queen plastered everywhere despite being across a rather vast body of water from her. I need to show my passport AND buy a plane ticket to visit. I mean, she's more of a figurehead here than anything else, but her representative in our parliament does still wield some power.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: September 08, 2014, 09:49:27 am »

I would like to point out that we still have the Queen plastered everywhere despite being across a rather vast body of water from her. I need to show my passport AND buy a plane ticket to visit. I mean, she's more of a figurehead here than anything else, but her representative in our parliament does still wield some power.

The Queen's representative in our parliament will be the Chancellor of Scotland, I believe. A resurrected title from our time as an independent state.
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 1393