Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752222 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10530 on: September 08, 2014, 12:09:07 pm »

I say bring back the border reavers. (My wife's family had reavers on both sides of the border -- Carr/Kerr).

Also, my great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was born in Dunfermline. That totally counts, right?  :P

@MonkeyHead: Wales, yes. NI, no. Northern Ireland clings to the mother country like a barnacle, out of fear of being washed away in an Irish tide.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: September 08, 2014, 12:28:59 pm »

Owlbread, you said that in the event of a Yes vote, it'd be up to the London government to start negotiating your re-accession to the EU. Do you think that would happen? Wouldn't he use it as a bargaining chip to get more oil/assets/offload more debt?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: September 08, 2014, 02:22:41 pm »

If England is a dick to Scotland in the event of independence, it will probably only serve to cause NI and Wales to distance itself from England further, possibly driving up sentiment for a further split. I have been undecided until now on the yes/no issue, as none of the arguments raised really appeal nor apply to me as someone not Scottish or living in Scotland, but the "no" campaign has been terrible and negative, and my patriotic streak wants Scotland so badly to vote yes. There appears to be the beginnings of a small murmur here in Wales, as people seemingly get behind the Yes idea for the Scots. This murmur might actually grow into a push for our own referendum if Scotland goes "yes", but unlike Scotland I can see us opting for further devolution (which has been the main body of discussion in relation to Senedd powers) rather than true succession, unless England plays the dick role as mentioned above.

Further devolution may actually be on the cards for Wales regardless of any sort of referendum; Carwyn Jones is already requesting that any future powers devolved to Scotland be devolved to Wales also. He has predictably ruled out powers to make decisions on income tax and welfare, however. You would do well to be rid of the man, for he is an oaf. At least Leanne Wood and Plaid Cymru have some kind of serious plan for devolution or, as Leanne Wood puts it, "moving from devolution to a system of self government" - which is ambiguous enough to encompass a federal model as much as independence. I believe they're going into the elections in 2016 on that platform.

Owlbread, you said that in the event of a Yes vote, it'd be up to the London government to start negotiating your re-accession to the EU. Do you think that would happen? Wouldn't he use it as a bargaining chip to get more oil/assets/offload more debt?

I think it's hard to say. It all depends on how cooperative the British government is and it is in their best interests to be as cooperative as possible. I think Scotland still holds the majority of the negotiation cards because we're taking on debt that isn't actually ours and we're trying to develop a currency union which means the British pound is backed by Scottish assets like North Sea oil.

I say bring back the border reavers. (My wife's family had reavers on both sides of the border -- Carr/Kerr).

I think the Reivers should come back too. We should restore the borders to their once lawless, wild-west like state.

Also, my great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was born in Dunfermline. That totally counts, right?  :P

Not as a Reiver, no. You are, however, descended directly from Fifers. I'm not too sure how I feel about that, given my mixed feelings about the place. My cat is from the Kingdom of Fife so maybe it can't be that bad. Then again, the more I think about it the worse it gets.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 02:30:41 pm by Owlbread »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: September 08, 2014, 03:05:25 pm »

Carwyn is less of an oaf, and more a man beholden to his Westminster overlords. Wood is saying the right things, but hardly inspires "Hwyl".
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: September 08, 2014, 03:13:27 pm »

Hwyl?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: September 08, 2014, 03:14:22 pm »

Welsh word loosely meaning spirit, passion, feeling, emotional energy, motivation...
This is a blank sig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: September 08, 2014, 03:14:29 pm »

Gesundheit.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: September 08, 2014, 03:17:32 pm »

I have breaking news. Another poll has been released, this time from TNS-BMRB - a traditionally No friendly pollster. The fieldwork was conducted over a period of time that was a bit further back than the YouGov poll (maybe a week or two earlier) but it is roughly the same time.

The results are as follows: 38% Yes, 39% No, 23% undecided. That's +6 points to Yes, -6 points to No.

With undecideds excluded: 50% Yes, 50% No. +8 points to Yes, -8 points to No.

Despite being conducted a bit further back than the YouGov poll (before the swing is alleged to have really kicked in) it still shows a massive swing to Yes and confirms that we have the momentum.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: September 08, 2014, 03:18:21 pm »

Should I start planning the celebration party yet?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: September 08, 2014, 03:20:16 pm »

In the possible event of a 50% plays 50%, what will occur? Some kind of bagpipe-off or caber toss tie break? :P
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: September 08, 2014, 03:24:30 pm »

Should I start planning the celebration party yet?

No, no. No plans. Anything can happen, god knows. No's 22 point lead evaporated in a month. No complacency, everything must be fought for. Ideally you should just have a spontaneous party on the day or something.

In the possible event of a 50% plays 50%, what will occur? Some kind of bagpipe-off or caber toss tie break? :P

I read someone saying it should be determined by having a Great-British-Bakeoff style tie breaker where Alex Salmond must compete with Alastair Darling through a series of baking challenges.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:26:55 pm by Owlbread »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: September 08, 2014, 03:28:32 pm »

Haggis against brown bread. Fascinating.
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: September 08, 2014, 03:36:29 pm »

Well, I don't feel like I need to fight, not being Socttish and all. Anyway, whiskey's ready to celebrate the victory/drink the sorrow away.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: September 08, 2014, 03:37:56 pm »

Carwyn is less of an oaf, and more a man beholden to his Westminster overlords. Wood is saying the right things, but hardly inspires "Hwyl".

Welsh wizard needs vowels, badly!*

*(yes, I'm aware that both w and y are vowels in Welsh...)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: September 08, 2014, 03:38:51 pm »

W is a voyel? Poor Welsh, forced to pretend consonants are voyels so their jaws don't fall off.

Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 1393