Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750365 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9690 on: August 27, 2014, 09:08:28 am »

Probably one of the most controversial headlines has just appeared in British consciousness in the Rotherham rape scandal, where 1400-1600 children were raped over a series of 16 years and the police worked to keep it secret in spite of numerous warnings out of short sighted political concerns.

Political correctness, pedophilia, rape and dubious police actions all tied up in one scandal all whilst all are in the national and even international spotlight.
BBC The Independent The Guardian The Telegraph The Daily Mirror RT Al Jazeera
How this event will influence the Scottish referendum?
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9691 on: August 27, 2014, 09:12:41 am »

Probably not much, it's mostly an English phenomenon. If it has an effect it'll probably be on the EU referendum as the conservatives and UKIPs will be able to ride the controversy to a bit more popularity whilst strengthening their convictions on the state of Britain. Lib dems could fall further.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: August 27, 2014, 09:15:06 am »

A more important question: will this be good for the bitcoin? I think yes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: August 27, 2014, 09:17:10 am »

What we can be sure of is that it's all Obama's fault.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: August 27, 2014, 09:21:17 am »

Thanks Obama.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: August 27, 2014, 09:25:51 am »

Tensions between Belgium and the Netherlands increase, as the nuclear reactor at Doel, 5km from the dutch border, is shown to have many, many dangerous shortcomings and maintnance issues.
I must say, I find this incredibly funny. Problems at the reactor have been ongoing for a month (with the other reactor for at least 2 years), and now there's a reaction.

I mean, it's a bit late isn't it.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: August 27, 2014, 09:27:22 am »

nuclear power: even when the populace doesn't actively block it, the bureaucracy won't give a fuck about upkeep anyway

rev up the coal mines guys

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: August 27, 2014, 09:32:44 am »

it's like these nuclear reactor just attract the incompetence to them

all the nuclear reactor-related catastrophes that happened happened because somebody was incompetent
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: August 27, 2014, 10:34:15 am »

Committee of Soldiers' Mothers of Russia says that they have a list of ~400 Russian soldiers killed or wounded  in Ukraine... But who cares?

link in Russian

Maybe their moms care? (really though, if nobody cares and you don't care, what was the point of posting that? /sarcasm at your hypocricy of posting I dunno)

Artist sentenced to six in months in prison for his art in Sweden.

While the artist probably wouldn't get sentenced to prision, the one with the black people in nooses would definetly cause a huge uproar here in the states. At the worst, the art pieces would just get taken down or the place he tries to display them at would simply refuse to display them.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9700 on: August 27, 2014, 10:35:41 am »

it's surprising how america for all its ills still manages to be a little more free than europe in a few aspects

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9701 on: August 27, 2014, 10:39:19 am »

One depicted three black men with nooses around their necks. Another showed Roma community leaders with text suggesting they condoned crime.

It is unusual for Swedish courts to hand out prison terms for art works. Park, who has several similar convictions, said his works were satirical and claimed the right to freedom of speech.
Here's a picture of the guy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trying to decipher this one..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Google translate says 'Stop Violations!'
On June 14, given the controversial book "Bögjävlar" out, a deal with the Swedish contemporary gay culture. The book was written by Daniel Birch, Tomas Hometown, Stefan Ingvarsson, Petter Wallenberg and Roger Wilson, and is accompanied by a blog at www.bogjavlar.se.

The thesis of the book is that the recent years media and pop culture success of homosexuals have been "at the cost of neutering and leveling down," according to a press release. To be accepted queer worlds have adopted a cheerful smile front out to the community and made himself limited, infantile and simplistic. The book also hopes to introduce the criticism gaykulturens mainstream formulated in recent years in the United States and England. (TT Spectra)
Looks sketchy, but I don't recognize the black guy so I might be missing something.

Any swedes here able to shed more light on this & how his 'freedom of expression' plea will go?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9702 on: August 27, 2014, 10:46:32 am »

UR, considering the possibility of pro-Russian rebels taking over the inner parts of Ukraine, as it happens now with Novoazovsk and Mariupol (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28951319), a time may come for you to decide, what to do, if it comes to your region. Have you thought about such questions?
What would be the best choice - that's of a big controversy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9703 on: August 27, 2014, 10:49:18 am »

At best, the guy would be extremely controversial here in the states. I notice that he has the swatzica cutout in whatever he is holding, so, yeah, it's not just people of African descent* and the Roma, he's also doing stuff that's offensive to Jews.

*If you wanted to get REALLY technical, we're all people of African descent because humans evolved in Africa.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:51:26 am by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9704 on: August 27, 2014, 11:01:33 am »

The No Campaign in Scotland, "Better Together", have released their political broadcast for August. It's called "The Woman Who Made Up Her Mind", specifically targeting female voters and "working mums" and stuff like that - folk who make up the largest proportion of undecided voters. Unfortunately for them it's very patronising and a bit misogynist; the star of the advert is some kind of housewife (something that I think is quite rare these days in Scotland, most women I know of varying ages have jobs and careers) who never shuts up about her husband's views, sits down and apparently thinks about the referendum for the first time, calls Alex Salmond (a man who has been our leader for 7 years) "that man off the telly", makes a snap decision (to vote No, obviously) and manages to insult young voters at the same time, saying her kids always have their "noses in their phones, what do they know?"

Huffington Post put it best:

Quote from: Huffington Post
The advert was a bid to win the support of undecided women voters and in just two minutes and forty seconds the 'busy mother' dismisses an independent Scotland as "one big gamble," that has "not been thought through."

Here is their article: for the last 12 hours Better Together have been a laughing stock on pro-independence Social Media and many many parodies have been made. My hope is that people in Scotland really aren't as stupid as BT think they are.

The Guardian took a stab at it as well.

But yeah, I think Scotland is a country where the majority of women in her position (looking after kids and not working) would call themselves unemployed, not housewives. It's very clear from the video that she sees herself as some kind of housewife as well - note that "time to get to work" thing she says at the end. By "work" I think she means cleaning the kitchen or something.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:09:48 am by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 1393