Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750255 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9660 on: August 26, 2014, 03:07:01 pm »

You should think about getting stronger artillery. It's artillery that inflicts 60% casualties in war, not personal arms.
Is that really the case? What counts as artillery? Planes & such?
Am interested in citation, (not confrontationally).
Well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery#Indirect_Fire
The relevant quote is:
Quote from: J. B. A. Bailey (2004). Field artillery and firepower
From the middle of the eighteenth century to the middle of the nineteenth, artillery is judged to have accounted for perhaps 50% of battlefield casualties. In the sixty years preceding 1914, this figure was probably as low as 10 percent. The remaining 90 percent fell to small arms, whose range and accuracy had come to rival those of artillery. ... [By WWI] The British Royal Artillery, at over one million men, grew to be larger than the Royal Navy. Bellamy (1986), pp. 1–7, cites the percentage of casualties caused by artillery in various theaters since 1914: in the First World War, 45 percent of Russian casualties and 58 percent of British casualties on the Western Front; in the Second World War, 75 percent of British casualties in North Africa and 51 percent of Soviet casualties (61 percent in 1945) and 70 percent of German casualties on the Eastern Front; and in the Korean War, 60 percent of US casualties, including those inflicted by mortars.

I think the 60 percent figure comes from the bolded part. I guess in modern world that would include missiles, but not planes.

EDIT: I would also like to apologise for my inappropriate behavior before. I should not have talked while being emotional. Sorry.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:17:24 pm by Sergarr »
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: August 26, 2014, 03:38:20 pm »

So how about that French cabinet shakeup, guys?  Apparently pointing out that after years of austerity there's no growth gets you fired.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: August 26, 2014, 03:44:48 pm »

And being a French leftist with no new ideas hopefully won't get you elected.

I'd rather see Hollande gone today than tomorrow, but only if he's replaced by someone with both a sound agenda and the political power to implement it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9663 on: August 26, 2014, 03:50:12 pm »

Mmmmmmm, korean war is the most recent figures at 60 yrs old, not convinced.......and this is all I can find after 30 mins.
http://www.103fieldbatteryraa.net/documents/74.html
-Places guns at 51% of deaths & 16% of wounds in vietnam, 'compared to 32% & 33% for ww2 & korea'. 36% of deaths caused by fragments from artillery.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/vietnam/casualties.asp
-discarding ~8000 as non-combat deaths, it looks more like 40-30 from this. 18000 from guns, ~13000 from fragments & 'artillery' combined. Could be higher if AA is considered artillery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancet_surveys_of_Iraq_War_casualties
"The causes of violent deaths were gunshot (56% or 336,575), car bomb (13% or 78,133), other explosion/ordnance (14%), air strike (13% or 78,133), accident (2% or 12,020), and unknown (2%)."
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: August 26, 2014, 04:03:30 pm »

I'd rather see Hollande gone today than tomorrow, but only if he's replaced by someone with both a sound agenda and the political power to implement it.

And a pony?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: August 26, 2014, 04:08:33 pm »

Don't think artilery is such a good idea here. Mostly because the brunt of the fighting so far has happened in and around major population centers, and you don't really want to shell civilians if you want to keep/get them on your side.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: August 26, 2014, 04:13:14 pm »

And a pony?
Look, if we cannot get someone better, we'd better stick with the idiot we know, don't you think? A leftist in charge in the Elysee wouldbe a disaster.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: August 26, 2014, 04:16:29 pm »

Regarding the poll, I would vote for independence, if only because it would cause european maps to become outdated MUAHAHHA.

On a side note, soon it's election time here in the frozen north. Going to stubbornly keep voting Piratpartiet for parliament, still as amazed that even though Snowden happened none of the main parties touches it in any serious manner. Even better there is a candidate that has professed as being a republican in favour of getting rid of the knug. For the local elections it will probably be FI! if they put up a decent candidate.

Also incredibly scared of the racists in racists clothing gaining more influence in the parliament... saddens me...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: August 26, 2014, 04:26:39 pm »

Regarding the poll, I would vote for independence, if only because it would cause european maps to become outdated MUAHAHHA.
I'm kind of miffed about it really, since I have a couple shirts that I can't wear now without it looking political. Especially when I go back to Britain next month.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: August 26, 2014, 04:49:53 pm »

I'm kind of miffed about it really, since I have a couple shirts that I can't wear now without it looking political. Especially when I go back to Britain next month.
I've had a peaked cap for a loooong time which has "Scotland forever" on it.
._.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: August 26, 2014, 05:44:52 pm »

Next month it'll be done.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: August 26, 2014, 06:07:09 pm »

So how about that French cabinet shakeup, guys?  Apparently pointing out that after years of austerity there's no growth gets you fired.

Can't say I care much for the Hollande government or for how austerity is implemented, but then they could always implement the brilliant economic policies of Japan and achieve similarly astounding growth rates :)
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: August 26, 2014, 06:23:49 pm »

On the bright side, if Scotland DOES become independent, we can call Scotland our hat, much like America calls Canada its hat.

I think I saw a SATW comic on that one.

Edit: Or maybe not. The polandball comics usually do that joke though.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:28:54 pm by smjjames »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: August 26, 2014, 06:39:15 pm »

On the bright side, if Scotland DOES become independent, we can call Scotland our hat, much like America calls Canada its hat.

What does that make the Republic then?

Your....crutch? Emmmm....

Your....weirdly detatched limb....

I actually can't think of a good equivalent here....

Oh! The island is your Teddy bear! XD

Took me a while to think of that one. I'm now ashamed :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: August 26, 2014, 07:01:53 pm »

Look, if we cannot get someone better, we'd better stick with the idiot we know, don't you think? A leftist in charge in the Elysee wouldbe a disaster.

Yeah imagine what might happen if France started emulating the US instead of this:
http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/NAEXKP01EUQ652S
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 1393