Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744140 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8040 on: July 22, 2014, 11:33:30 am »

Russia is playing a dangerous game with conspiracy theories. Very dangerous.

They keep forgetting the rebels tweeted about downing a 'transport' plane.
They don't keep forgetting to tell that the aircraft wasn't supposed to be there (its flight path lies ~15 km to the south). Also the fact that if Kiev knew about the Buks in rebel hands they should have canceled all flights there...these things weren't designed to ignore civilian aircraft  :'(

I really need to find something else to play than DF.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: July 22, 2014, 11:57:25 am »

I have though about possibility that Ukraine could provoke that. Put MH17 in the right place and give disinformation to Russians saying that military transport will fly here.....

But doubt that our side would even consider acting like that

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: July 22, 2014, 12:10:24 pm »

When you start doubting a government will do something because "But they'd never do that!" you need to take a good long look at yourself and who you're supporting.

Plenty of Americans said the same thing about NSA and wire-tapping because FREEDOM, and look what happened.

Not saying that the UKR gov. did a false-flag, I'm pretty convinced the rebels are to blame and they thought it was a military target, but if your only reason to think something did or did not happen is because "That's not like them!" then you really don't have a reason at all.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:13 pm »

They don't keep forgetting to tell that the aircraft wasn't supposed to be there (its flight path lies ~15 km to the south). Also the fact that if Kiev knew about the Buks in rebel hands they should have canceled all flights there...these things weren't designed to ignore civilian aircraft  :'(
Actually, from what I have read, they can identify civilian aircrafts, because these give off different signals from military machines. You gotta be trained to know how to read those signals though.
Planes flying over crisis areas is on the International Civil Aviation Organization, if the air space is not officially closed. A Malaysian Airlines flight took an alternative route and avoided Ukraine by flying over...Syria.   ::)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:07:53 pm by XXSockXX »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: July 22, 2014, 12:50:50 pm »

Civilians planes have transponders, sure, but apart from that, what's the difference in signature between a civilian jet and a jet bomber for example?

Also, I was at my girlfriend's place (well, we're not like officially boy- and girlfriend, but that's not what the thread is about), where they don't have wifi, so I just loaded all the thread pages at work and read them on the bus. Fuck guys, I was really thinking I'd connect today only to find it closed by Toady. I'm glad things cooled down, and kudos to you all for cooling it down, but please keep it cool. Please, please, please, don't disturb Toady.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:18 pm »

Actually, from what I have read, they can identify civilian aircrafts, because these give off different signals from military machines. You gotta be trained to know how to read those signals though.
Planes flying over crisis areas is on the International Civil Aviation Organization, if the air space is not officially closed. A Malaysian Airlines flight took an alternative route and avoided Ukraine by flying over...Syria.   ::)
[url] tag is broken.
._.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: July 22, 2014, 01:00:50 pm »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: July 22, 2014, 01:09:03 pm »

tag is broken.
Oops, fixed it.
Was just this anyway: https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statuses/491125734929629184

Civilians planes have transponders, sure, but apart from that, what's the difference in signature between a civilian jet and a jet bomber for example?
I read that somewhere, I'll try to look it up.

I read that somewhere, I'll try to look it up.

EDIT:
Found it.
In short, Buk has a radar that automatically identifies civil aircraft (apparently their transponder signals are different from military aircraft). For that to work though, you need to set up the radar correctly, which is tricky and requires well trained personnel.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:19:35 pm by XXSockXX »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: July 22, 2014, 01:19:38 pm »

Also, 32 km (Buk's missile maximum range) * 2 (aircraft flying right over the Buk) / (905 km/h) (cruise speed of Boeing 777) = ~250 seconds (or ~4 minutes) for the operator to make a decision. This is pretty much the theoretical maximum and it will be lower in practice.

I think it was also trying to return to it's previous course right before the catastrophe so the operator might have seen that as the attempt to run away from it's firing zone... It's tragic, what can I say.
._.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: July 22, 2014, 01:24:12 pm »

It really is tragic, the wors thing is that similar things happened  in past. So this is not the first time something like this happens

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8050 on: July 22, 2014, 01:32:38 pm »

Yes, civilian aircraft being shot down by military forces isn't something new. The last one was shot down by Ukraine during exercises. In 2001 IIRC
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8051 on: July 22, 2014, 01:43:38 pm »

I actually did not know about that incident. I was more talking about things that happen in war, like when USA shoot down iran civilian air plane and similar.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8052 on: July 22, 2014, 01:50:04 pm »

I actually did not know about that incident. I was more talking about things that happen in war, like when USA shoot down iran civilian air plane and similar.
The incident in question.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8053 on: July 22, 2014, 02:52:14 pm »

This German newspaper has verified (via interviews with separatists and eyewitnesses) an earlier report by an Italian newspaper about separatists being sent to the site immediately after the crash, to arrest the pilots (which they thought were military who might have parachuted out).

Beznogim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8054 on: July 23, 2014, 04:08:05 am »

Meanwhile, Ukraine parliament has outlawed Ukrainian Communist party.
"They came first for Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Communist...".

Also, apparently this is how democracy works. Beating and removing people for voicing different opinion is okay, it seems.
От БЕЗНОГNМ станет всем ДОСМОТ,
От БЕЗНОГNМ V1 o5 u2,
НЕ ПЫТАЙТЕСБ ЧТОТ0 NЗМЕНИТЬ!
Просмотревших людей сойдут с ума!
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 1393