Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745051 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6525 on: June 12, 2014, 04:49:22 am »

you keep using that word

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: June 12, 2014, 04:53:28 am »

MSH, don't you think that Soviet society had at least some good points? Especially compared to post-soviet Russian society?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: June 12, 2014, 04:53:50 am »

Every piece of shit SHOULD be able to be published. That's the definition of freedom of speech, and what is shit is subjective.

You didn't say where it should be published, and Time Cube shouldn't star on the front page of major newspapers, and I know bullshit like that DOES happen, but censorship is certainly not the way to fix it. Censorship is a very, very slippery slope.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: June 12, 2014, 04:59:00 am »

Comrade P., you're a romantic. We all are, deep down, aren't we?
I think "reactionary" might be a better term here.

I'm just 18-year-old. I'm currently arranging my life position.

MSH, don't you think that Soviet society had at least some good points? Especially compared to post-soviet Russian society?
The feel of unity?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: June 12, 2014, 05:00:22 am »

completely unrelated music fitting the topic of this post

Meanwhile in Ukraine, the seriousness of allegations being thrown around is intensifying:

On the 11th of June, Ukrainian Minister of Defence Mikhailo Koval declared that civilians in Eastern Ukraine will be put in "filtration camps" to weed out insurgents or people supporting them. In responce, websites and bloggers affiliated with pro-Russian forces claimed that the Ukrainian government is planning to put the entire population of Eastern Ukraine into such camps, deport them elsewhere or simply exterminate them and replace them with people from Western Ukraine.

The truthfulness of such claims is very dubious, but judging by the hatred towards people living in the East spread among Ukrainian patriots in social networks, there will be people who won't refuse to carry out the order to remove katsap from the premises.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:01:55 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: June 12, 2014, 05:02:22 am »

completely unrelated music fitting the topic of this post

Meanwhile in Ukraine, the seriousness of allegations being thrown around is intensifying:

On the 11th of June, Ukrainian Minister of Defence Mikhailo Koval declared that civilians in Eastern Ukraine will be put in "filtration camps" to weed out insurgents or people supporting them. Websites and bloggers affiliated with pro-Russian forces claimed that the Ukrainian government is planning to put the entire population of Eastern Ukraine into such camps, deport them elsewhere or simply exterminate them and replace them with people from Western Ukraine.

The truthfulness of such claims is very dubious, but judging by the hatred towards people living in the East spread among Ukrainian patriots in social networks, there will be people who won't refuse to carry out the order to remove katsap from the premises.

OK, quick cultural translation:
'katsap' is a slur against Russians.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: June 12, 2014, 05:07:38 am »

I must say it actually makes sense. Although I wonder how they'll tell insurgents from civilians.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: June 12, 2014, 05:11:28 am »

Like, Soviet engineering. Soviet heavy industry...
hmmm
Soviet engineering and industry produced mediocre product that was competitive only because it had no competition inside the country. If you want that back you should raise new iron curtain

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: June 12, 2014, 05:29:03 am »

I like that I can state my opinion without the fear of being dropped out of school, losing my job or being locked up in prison.
Pretty sure that still happens in the modern world. I mean, look at Snowden.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: June 12, 2014, 05:31:53 am »

He didn't state his opinion - he stole national secrets. Whether he was right to do so is another question, but it certainly wasn't covered by freedom of expression.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: June 12, 2014, 05:33:57 am »

when the government being shit is a national secret, blaming people for proving that it's a shit means your priorities are all topside flipward

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: June 12, 2014, 05:34:46 am »

He didn't state his opinion - he stole national secrets. Whether he was right to do so is another question, but it certainly wasn't covered by freedom of expression.
Uhhh

Then how about that story with The Guardian attempting to do something and then getting its servers physically destroyed?
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: June 12, 2014, 05:44:38 am »

It involved national secrets.

All hail Catch 22.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: June 12, 2014, 05:47:33 am »

you keep using that word
Do I? I don't recall using it very often, and I tend to get awareness of my overused words pretty frequently.

On the other hand, if you are attacking my usage of it as incorrect, no. Comrade P.'s political philosophy is very much centered around "bringing back the past, which was good" and "stopping the liberals from ruining everything". This is reactionary politics verbatim.
Not....really. I mean, it's nearly impossible for a society to be totally devoid of good points (except Best Korea), but the USSR was only barely a plus in the twilight of its existence, and massively negative before that point. The early USSR wasn't far removed from a red-painted continuation of the Tsardom, the middle USSR was Uncle Stalin's Playhouse Of Terror, and the late USSR stagnated and died.

Since the USSR more or less used all the non-Russian people who were part of it as clients to be expended if necessary, all of them are certainly better being out of it than not. As for Russia itself, the continuation of the Russian SSR might have been a superior solution to the Russian Federation, but the real problem lied in Gorbachev's fuck ups segueing into Yeltsin's truly monumental alcohol-fueled failures. Tough times in a new democracy are never, ever good. Sometimes that can be overcome. But sometimes you get a man like Putin.

I guess I like their space program, but my respect for space programs is nearly universal anyway.
I'm just 18-year-old. I'm currently arranging my life position.
Holy shit, you're younger than me. (Also, some of you reading this now remember that I am 20 and are again panicking that I'm younger than you.)
The feel of unity?
Unity, like tradition, is occasionally benevolent, usually benign, and often a severe, severe malignancy when the shit hits the fan. I, for example, would not say that the unity of my own countrymen in trying to burn civil rights on the altar of national security post-9/11 to have been a positive. Further, unity usually means the alienation and suppression of those who aren't willing to jump on the unity train. Dissent is better than unity. It is why the powerful try so hard to kill it.
They weren't the CIA's secrets to keep in the first place. A nation should not hide things from its people.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:58:47 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: June 12, 2014, 05:50:29 am »

Guys, I'm not defending the NSA - I'm just saying that Snowden's actions were not covered under freedom of expression. Under common sense, yes - but that's a different thing, isn't it?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 1393