Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744895 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6540 on: June 12, 2014, 05:53:03 am »

I think the NSA derail should go into the Imperial thread.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: June 12, 2014, 05:53:21 am »

Guys, I'm not defending the NSA - I'm just saying that Snowden's actions were not covered under freedom of expression. Under common sense, yes - but that's a different thing, isn't it?
The intelligence apparatus were the ones doing wrong in the first place. As the "secrets" therefore weren't really secrets, Snowden was within his freedom of expression to tell them to everybody in the world.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: June 12, 2014, 05:58:53 am »

I'm just 18-year-old. I'm currently arranging my life position.
Yeah, there is your problem. You have no idea what you are talking about. Not your fault probably, because you lack the context for what you are saying, but still.

I visited the GDR once, when that was still a thing. Too many products in the stores was certainly not a problem there, you might have liked it.  ;)

Guys, I'm not defending the NSA - I'm just saying that Snowden's actions were not covered under freedom of expression. Under common sense, yes - but that's a different thing, isn't it?
The intelligence apparatus were the ones doing wrong in the first place. As the "secrets" therefore weren't really secrets, Snowden was within his freedom of expression to tell them to everybody in the world.
It's not about the principle, it's about the legal issue. In that aspect Snowden was not covered by freedom of expression. That is all, the question was not if that is right or wrong, but why he was considered a criminal when anybody can supposedly say anything they want.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #6543 on: June 12, 2014, 06:04:00 am »

So about those concentration camps that were phosphor bombed just before Russian tanks rolled in en masse...

No, wait, actually I do not mind this conversation turned into USSR being bad or no and then turned again into a discussion about Showden. Please, continue.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: June 12, 2014, 06:06:24 am »

I visited the GDR once, when that was still a thing. Too many products in the stores was certainly not a problem there, you might have liked it.  ;)
I had an instructor who once visited the GDR. He said that one of the more striking experiences was the eastern boarder guards warning him not to sell his blue jeans, as that would be illegal commerce. The singular pair of blue jeans that he was wearing, mind you. (I think he said he got offers later on, too.)
It's not about the principle, it's about the legal issue. In that aspect Snowden was not covered by freedom of expression. That is all, the question was not if that is right or wrong, but why he was considered a criminal when anybody can supposedly say anything they want.
The legal issue is exactly what I was talking about. As the intelligence apparatus did not have the legal right to collect the information they were collecting, it was not actually secret information in a legal sense. As a result, Snowden was therefore permitted to share it if he wished. In fact, you could even argue that he had an obligation to do so, as it would make the secret, illegal information into public, legal information for him to release it.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: June 12, 2014, 06:25:03 am »

I had an instructor who once visited the GDR. He said that one of the more striking experiences was the eastern boarder guards warning him not to sell his blue jeans, as that would be illegal commerce. The singular pair of blue jeans that he was wearing, mind you. (I think he said he got offers later on, too.)
Well, when I was there, there were no more border guards, because it was after the Berlin Wall falling but before reunification. People were crazy for used blue jeans though or any western clothing, or chocolate and bananas and other food. Basically anything they couldn't get there. The stores and supermarkets were not empty, but the choice of products was pretty limited and there was mostly just one kind of any product, and of crappy quality at that. People had money, but they didn't know what to buy, because there was nothing to chose from, so the money was essentially worthless.

The legal issue is exactly what I was talking about. As the intelligence apparatus did not have the legal right to collect the information they were collecting, it was not actually secret information in a legal sense. As a result, Snowden was therefore permitted to share it if he wished. In fact, you could even argue that he had an obligation to do so, as it would make the secret, illegal information into public, legal information for him to release it.
I get all of that, the point was just that Snowden is not a particular good example of freedom of expression not working.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: June 12, 2014, 07:10:48 am »

Freedom of speech usually concerns people being able to say their opinion, and state secrets are more of a fact than an opinion.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: June 12, 2014, 07:14:37 am »

Then why is factual truth as much of a defense as sincere belief in slander lawsuits?
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: June 12, 2014, 07:18:10 am »

Please, people, could we stop polluting the Europolitics thread with NSA stuff?
We could talk about Wulff, for example - ex-president of Germany, was ousted in a media hounding, and has now released a book. Oh, and was cleared of all charges.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: June 12, 2014, 07:21:03 am »

Yeah, especially since we're arguing the finer points of whether or not Snowden should have been protected by the first amendment. NSA go home!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: June 12, 2014, 08:43:53 am »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: June 12, 2014, 09:31:48 am »

Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: June 12, 2014, 09:45:49 am »

Awesome lyrics - and they can be repurposed so easily...
I originally started listening to that stuff because of Brecht. Someday I'll have to visit his theatre in Berlin - he's one of the best writers that I know.
The Bay12 postcard club

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: June 12, 2014, 10:15:10 am »

Watching QI last night, apparently Russian elections are based a fair bit on whether or not the candidate has hair, due to the fact that the people that were... at the top's probably the easiest way to put it, have had an alternating pattern of bald, hair, bald, hair, bald, hair and so on.

Can someone confirm/deny this? It sounds a silly, but then again, people are known for doing silly things.
It's a joke.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: June 12, 2014, 10:48:38 am »

It might be a joke, but it's an actual consistent pattern. Of no relevance, but it is there.

This is because we have almost 200 countries (to be fair, most of them not with dynasties this long) quite a few with over a 1000 year of history. Adding the many traits there are, you can easily find a pattern if you're willing to look for it.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1393