Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743595 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5580 on: May 20, 2014, 01:46:36 am »

So, Chocolate King and the Orange Princess are presidential candidates. I'm tempted to start referring to Putin as 'The Yellow Jester' now.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: May 20, 2014, 02:07:02 am »

that is literally the worst thing you could hope it to become short of a broken or rogue state

explain why
Because Israel is a role model of a country for me :)
What is bad in Israel?
Security service that can eliminate enemies of the nation anywhere?
Strong and respected army that is more than able to keep aggressive neighbors at bay
Top-notch defense industry?
Well developed economy?
Independent internal policy?

What is bad in Israel?

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: May 20, 2014, 03:15:37 am »

that is literally the worst thing you could hope it to become short of a broken or rogue state

explain why
What is bad in Israel?
Strong and respected army that is more than able to keep aggressive neighbors at bay
Well developed economy?

What is bad in Israel?

zionism

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: May 20, 2014, 03:18:22 am »

The fucking over of the neighbours, the general treatment of Israeli Arabs (Including arabs jews) as second-class citizens, the weird inclusion of religion into politics, the drain on the public purse of the hassids, the colonizing...

Of course, given your views, I guess you see half of those as positive.  ::)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: May 20, 2014, 03:47:15 am »

My answer will be given entirely apastrophes.

Security service that can eliminate 'enemies' of the nation anywhere?
Strong and respected army that is more than able to keep 'aggressive neighbors' at bay
Top-notch 'defense' industry?
Well developed economy?
Independent internal 'policy'?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: May 20, 2014, 09:00:39 am »

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if there are going to be any observers in the eastern part of Ukraine?

I realize that the pro-russian people aren't likely to treat them particularily nicely.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: May 20, 2014, 11:47:15 am »

explain why
What is bad in Israel?
Well developed economy?

What is bad in Israel?

zionism
I am not sure what that is supposed to mean. You are linking to a repealed UN resolution. What is that relevant to?

Well so far I know some observers were held by separatists, so clearly some but not many.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: May 20, 2014, 11:57:54 am »

I am not sure what that is supposed to mean. You are linking to a repealed UN resolution. What is that relevant to?

Well so far I know some observers were held by separatists, so clearly some but not many.

It is stated that UNGA "determine[d] that Zionism is a form of racism and racial discrimination". It was later repealed not because that statement isn't true, but because Israel threw a fit and didn't want to continue peace talks with Palestinians.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: May 20, 2014, 12:31:20 pm »

It is stated that UNGA "determine[d] that Zionism is a form of racism and racial discrimination". It was later repealed not because that statement isn't true, but because Israel threw a fit and didn't want to continue peace talks with Palestinians.
Popularity fallacy. It didn't need to be correct to win a vote either. Just popular. The voting record speaks volumes though.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: May 20, 2014, 02:25:14 pm »

You do have to count that all the people claiming it were either people who wanted to exterminate them or part of the Warsaw pact IE. enemies of Israel.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: May 20, 2014, 03:10:26 pm »

Popularity fallacy. It didn't need to be correct to win a vote either. Just popular. The voting record speaks volumes though.

Yes the voting was wholly political, which is also demonstrated by fact that the same UNGA repealed the resolution later.
The point was that they described zionism as racism and racial discrimination and linked Portuguese colonialism, South African apartheid, zionism and Israeli imperialism.

From that link I would like to point to SA apartheid. We could agree that apartheid in SA was bad.
So for the reasoning why I compare the sionism and SA apartheid - here is report from UN Human Rights commision on violations of human rights of Palestinians in Israel/Palestine.

In this report you can find that "It is this general structure of apartheid that exists in the Occupied Palestinian Territories that makes the allegation increasingly credible despite the differences between the specific characteristics of South African apartheid and that of the Occupied Palestinian Territories regime." There is also a whole section of specific cases of apartheid in Israel/Palestine, which is too long to copy/paste here.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: May 20, 2014, 03:22:21 pm »

You do have to count that all the people claiming it were either people who wanted to exterminate them or part of the Warsaw pact IE. enemies of Israel.
Overgeneralize much?

I'm pretty sure that Portugal, Mexico, Sao Tome, India, and a bunch of sub-Saharan African countries are neither anti-Semitic nor Warsaw Pact countries. And the Warsaw Pact countries were never enemies of Israel so much as supporters of Israel's enemies to counter the US influence in the region through Israel as a proxy. If Israel had sided with the Soviets early on, we'd have been allied with the Arab world (and indeed that was more or less the case in the immediate aftermath of WWII, such as in the Suez Crisis).

But anyway, back to Europe....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: May 20, 2014, 03:47:10 pm »

Well, Israel participates in the Eurovision song contest...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: May 20, 2014, 07:21:30 pm »

And has a ton of people with European heritage. Real European heritage, not American 'my ancestors came from Europe at some point or another' heritage.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1393