Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745920 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4980 on: May 04, 2014, 08:12:10 am »

Cut one of their hands off and send it to the conscription center. With a note saying "Hurr's ae hand ta holde yer gunn, ya sotter basterd" attached.

Nova Scotia is in Canada, so I don't really see why you're bringing it up.

Well, it's Scottish-ish, so they should offer all Scotians citizenship as well. Just have to sort out all the applications with paw prints for signatures.

Thanks for the info, though ;)

When I look up "Scotians" on Wikipedia, I find North Preston's Finest, a gang of pimps. Are they a Scottish gang of pimps?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: May 04, 2014, 08:37:55 am »

Should Britain re-nationalise the railway?

In economic terms, a railway system (like power, water, healthcare) is a natural monopoly and there are significant economies of scale to be made in having it run by one firm. Monopolistic firms can screw people over (as is seen in the railway currently where firms have regional monopolies, making rail tickets obscenely expensive) but a publicly owned railway would have legal requirement to offer an affordable service, and it wouldn't have the disadvantage of having to be profitable.

When I look up "Scotians" on Wikipedia, I find North Preston's Finest, a gang of pimps. Are they a Scottish gang of pimps?
Spoiler: Off Topic (click to show/hide)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: May 04, 2014, 08:49:46 am »

But, but, what if those reasons are just 'well, I was kinda brainwashed by this guy on this one forum'?

Alternatively; I'll do it if the sign can say 'Owlbread for Grand Emperor of Scotland!' instead.

This is a serious point. I would only recommend doing this if you felt comfortable enough nailing your colours to the mast - I understand that I am guilty of "brainwashing" because as a Yes-supporter I have been the only one really talking about this, but I have been as truthful as I possibly can and I genuinely believe our arguments.

But yes, the offer still stands. If anyone is interested, contact me and we can discuss things. It's a big ask in a lot of respects but maybe you would enjoy it.

In economic terms, a railway system (like power, water, healthcare) is a natural monopoly and there are significant economies of scale to be made in having it run by one firm. Monopolistic firms can screw people over (as is seen in the railway currently where firms have regional monopolies, making rail tickets obscenely expensive) but a publicly owned railway would have legal requirement to offer an affordable service, and it wouldn't have the disadvantage of having to be profitable.

I agree with this. The problem was that people used to treat the railways with a lack of respect when they were still nationalised but our government did run those services rather badly back then. There is still a chance that we could run it properly. East Coast rail is still nationalised and they run at a profit, unfortunately the Tories plan on selling them off in 2015 just like they did with the Royal Mail.

Unlike Ed Miliband and the rest of the Labour leadership I would advocate renationalising the Royal Mail (they refuse to commit to it in public) and what's left of British Telecom in Scotland, given that they hold a strong monopoly here and can exploit us at will without worrying about competition. BT would then be forced to install new infrastructure in order to compete with the government's company, raising the quality of service all round. I could also be convinced of the merits of nationalising the big six energy companies in Scotland and also our oil supplies, but there may be better ways of getting the most out of the oil like forcing them to donate £50 billion a year to a fund for 10 years to end poverty in Africa or something.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:56:01 am by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: May 04, 2014, 09:09:23 am »

I have one issue with posting a pic of me, and it is that as a non-Scots, I don't really feel like I have a right to weight in. Most of the benefits to Scotland don't concern me. Plus, many of my reasons to be pro-independence (Like the fact that it'll weaken London's voice in the council, and as such it's pro-financial industry agenda) don't look good on a campaign poster.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: May 04, 2014, 09:13:01 am »

Yes, they should. And so should Sweden.
Love, scriver~

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: May 04, 2014, 09:23:14 am »

I don't know how it is in Britain, but in Germany privatising the railway has not worked out that great I think. Unlike with the Mail and the Telecom, no real competition has developed there and at least in regional traffic they are just cutting services and raising prices. I get that they have to pay a lot of money to some current and former employees who still are paid like public servants from before the privatization, but still I think they are doing a poor job. I'm not necessarily for re-nationalization, but the governement should definitely do something to encourage smaller regional railway companies instead of leaving Deutsche Bahn with an almost monopolistic use of the railway net.

That's a really good question. It's one of the reasons European countries have only allowed dual citizenship recently. I guess the real answer is "renounce one nationality on the spot and choose which one they prefer".
Yeah, I remember back when Germany and France still had conscription, guys I know with dual citizenship would leave their French passsports at home when going to France, to not get drafted after a random traffic control. AFAIK it's still like that for people with Turkish citizenship today. Technically you have to do military service if you're a citizen, but if they don't know you are, it's your choice.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: May 04, 2014, 09:30:00 am »

I have one issue with posting a pic of me, and it is that as a non-Scots, I don't really feel like I have a right to weight in. Most of the benefits to Scotland don't concern me. Plus, many of my reasons to be pro-independence (Like the fact that it'll weaken London's voice in the council, and as such it's pro-financial industry agenda) don't look good on a campaign poster.
I, on the other hand, just don't have much of an opinion besides supporting the holding of the referendum. Besides, that Euro Quiz we had a while back told me I'm more of a Labour bastard than an SNP bastard.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: May 04, 2014, 09:43:13 am »

I have one issue with posting a pic of me, and it is that as a non-Scots, I don't really feel like I have a right to weight in.

This is a legitimate opinion to hold. Many think that way; even a few Scottish actors and musicians who live abroad have refused to comment on the basis that they don't live in Scotland often enough, like James McAvoy for instance. That said I think it's still perfectly legitimate to contribute to the debate as an observer, in the same way that it's acceptable to comment on the crisis in Ukraine or in Syria. You're not saying your opinion is more important than that of people who live here, you're just "contributing". I don't see the problem in that.

Most of the benefits to Scotland don't concern me. Plus, many of my reasons to be pro-independence (Like the fact that it'll weaken London's voice in the council, and as such it's pro-financial industry agenda) don't look good on a campaign poster.

But I distinctly remember you saying at one point that you thought Scottish independence would be a good thing because it would show the world that it is possible for a nation to become independent amicably, without bloodshed and through political process? That's a good reason. Remember, I want independence for the reasons you've just given as well. I've got other, more positive reasons though and I'm sure you do too.

I, on the other hand, just don't have much of an opinion besides supporting the holding of the referendum. Besides, that Euro Quiz we had a while back told me I'm more of a Labour bastard than an SNP bastard.

Though there is a burgeoning Labour for Independence campaign. I have often said that their leader is one of my favourite speakers in our campaign group.

But yes, it amuses me to hear Germans criticise Deutsche Bahn. In the UK we'd probably kill to get a service like that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:47:34 am by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: May 04, 2014, 09:47:11 am »

But I distinctly remember you saying at one point that you thought Scottish independence would be a good thing because it would show the world that it is possible for a nation to become independent amicably, without bloodshed and through political process? That's a good reason. Remember, I want independence for the reasons you've just given as well. I've got other, more positive reasons though and I'm sure you do too.

Actually, I remembered that too. I'm currently trying to print that piece of paper (too lazy to draw one), but my printer is fucking with me.

Edit:

Okay, here I go. Actually very crappy webcam picture, but it's all I have now.

Spoiler: Picture (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rant (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:08:53 am by Sheb »

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: May 04, 2014, 10:09:38 am »

But yes, it amuses me to hear Germans criticise Deutsche Bahn. In the UK we'd probably kill to get a service like that.
Well, DB is good if you have to travel across the country, but if you have to use it to commute daily on a regional level, you'd grow to hate it too. It's expensive, crowded, unpunctual (how un-German of them  ;)), dirty and some places are a pain in the ass to reach, even if it's just a short distance. They invest mostly in the long-distance stuff, and that is very comfortable, but neglect the short-distance sector.
And they raise prices all the time to silly levels while cutting down on personnel, which can be quite annoying when nobody notices that the train starts with people still outside (maybe while their bags and baby carriage are already in  ::)).

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: May 04, 2014, 10:14:25 am »

Actually, I remembered that too. I'm currently trying to print that piece of paper (too lazy to draw one), but my printer is fucking with me.

Edit:

Okay, here I go. Actually very crappy webcam picture, but it's all I have now.

Spoiler: Picture (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rant (click to show/hide)

Fantastic, I shall send it off to them. Perhaps I can convince some more fellows to contribute so I can send off a small collection. Maybe I can enlist Descan.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:17:16 am by Owlbread »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: May 04, 2014, 10:18:29 am »

Is there a "Don't go for it Scotland!" alternative?  :)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: May 04, 2014, 10:19:43 am »

There is actually. You could probably do the same thing but with "Scotland Stay With Us" instead as a slogan. David Bowie started that one off, bizarrely, but good luck to him. He started to reconsider his position after Noam Chomsky started saying he thought Scottish independence was a good idea, I hear.

I say this in the interests of balance, of course.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:22:39 am by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: May 04, 2014, 10:20:07 am »

Possibly, but I don't think Owlbread will link your to it. :D

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: May 04, 2014, 10:25:01 am »

There is actually. You could probably do the same thing but with "Scotland Stay With Us" instead as a slogan. David Bowie started that one off, bizarrely, but good luck to him. He started to reconsider his position after Noam Chomsky started saying he thought Scottish independence was a good idea, I hear.

I say this in the interests of balance, of course.
Don't lie, Owlbread! It doesn't become you.  :D

You have absolutely no aversion to a lack of balance, you want to come on top, and that is that!

I should probably say, given that this is text, that there is no bad tone in the above; at worst, it's humourous.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 1393