Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746308 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4875 on: April 23, 2014, 10:10:47 am »

The sheep sterling.  :P

No, that would have to be Wales.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: April 23, 2014, 10:13:16 am »

I think the plan is to use the Sterling at first. It's not like the UK can ban Scotland from doing so.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: April 23, 2014, 10:16:11 am »

We are all fucking millionaires then. Literally.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: April 23, 2014, 10:18:58 am »

Or Aberdeenshire.

So has there been any discussion of what Scotland's currency would be if not the pound sterling?
I assume they're not planning to join the Eurozone, and the pre-Union currency was...the pound. I guess they could go back to the "Pound Scots", but that's boring.  :P

As Sheb says the plan is to use the pound sterling basically no matter what. I believe that if Scotland cannot have representation in the Bank of England with a formal currency union, we will take to using the pound as Panama uses the US Dollar. Perhaps we will join the Eurozone one day but that will require membership of a stable currency for a number of years.

Most people in the independence movement support the development of an independent Scottish currency at some point in the future.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:20:44 am by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: April 23, 2014, 10:19:46 am »

The original plan was to continue using the pound and then joining the Eurozone, as they wanted to remain in / re-join the EU (every EU member is technically obligated to join the Euro eventually, just the UK has an exception in writing, Sweden's exception is just tolerated).

Now they can either continue using the pound without any actual influence on monetary policy, which is somewhat risky, but has been done by other (though smaller) countries, they can try to join the Euro (which is rather complicated with Scotland's EU status being unclear), or they can issue their own currency and temporarily use that.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: April 23, 2014, 10:21:50 am »

Now they can either continue using the pound without any actual influence on monetary policy, which is somewhat risky, but has been done by other (though smaller) countries, they can try to join the Euro (which is rather complicated with Scotland's EU status being unclear), or they can issue their own currency and temporarily use that.

Scotland's EU status is very clear. It's just that we will need to use a currency like the pound or an independent currency for a period of time before we can join the Euro as part of some kind of regulation.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: April 23, 2014, 10:36:11 am »

Wait....so Scottish nationalists are in FAVOR of joining the Eurzone? Is this just to piss off England or something? I thought most European nationalists are heartily opposed to anything that smacks of tighter European integration.  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: April 23, 2014, 10:38:59 am »

Scotland's EU status is very clear. It's just that we will need to use a currency like the pound or an independent currency for a period of time before we can join the Euro as part of some kind of regulation.
Well, the EU status is not exactly clear. As long as the EU doesn't make an official statement on it at least. It's unclear if Scotland would have to re-apply for membership or if some other solution could be found. While it's pretty obvious that Scotland could join or stay in, as long as the EU pretends that independence isn't happening and doesn't make any statements, nothing is technically guaranteed.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:54 am »

Wait....so Scottish nationalists are in FAVOR of joining the Eurzone? Is this just to piss off England or something? I thought most European nationalists are heartily opposed to anything that smacks of tighter European integration.  ???

"European nationalists" aren't all the same, you see. There are two main groups.

There is a big difference between a "nationalist" party like UKIP and a separatist/nationalist party like the SNP in Europe. If the nationalist party is attached to an independent country like UKIP is to the UK, their nationalism tends to be directed against the EU. The same thing goes for nationalists in the Netherlands and Hungary and places like that.

If the objective of the nationalist party is the "independence" of a region as a nation-state, as is the aim of Catalan, Welsh, Breton and Scottish nationalists, they tend to adopt a very pro-EU stance on things. The SNP had a slogan in the '90s - "Independence in Europe". It's designed to give us a stronger sense of security because we wouldn't just be totally independent nations, we'd be independent within the European community, giving us more support and such.

There is also a strong Eurosceptic undercurrent seeping into British politics these days which is quite unheard of in Scotland. Highlighting that difference is handy when trying to convince people that Scotland, if given the freedom to do so, would take a very different path to the rest of the UK.

Well, the EU status is not exactly clear. As long as the EU doesn't make an official statement on it at least. It's unclear if Scotland would have to re-apply for membership or if some other solution could be found. While it's pretty obvious that Scotland could join or stay in, as long as the EU pretends that independence isn't happening and doesn't make any statements, nothing is technically guaranteed.

Scotland would most likely have to reapply, but it would be a rubber stamping process. It is against the interests of most EU members to keep Scotland out in the cold for very long at all and most of the negotiations could be put in order during the transitional period between the referendum and independence if the UK would agree to negotiate on our behalf, as they would. They could actually sort that out right now but as I've said before the UK refuses to prenegotiate the terms of independence unless it's on their terms.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:48:36 am by Owlbread »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: April 23, 2014, 11:06:03 am »

Ahh okay, that makes a fair amount of sense. It's not an isolationist/autarchic kind of nationalism, just a "Fook off ya bleedin Saesanachs!" kind.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: April 23, 2014, 11:08:05 am »

What about shillings?  :P

And I'd love it if Scotland, if it became independent, were to adopt feet and inches again. Unlikely, but one can dream.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: April 23, 2014, 11:11:53 am »

What about shillings?  :P

I would like to see shillings come back. Maybe crowns too, ha'pennies, thruppeny bits, tuppences, thruppences.

And I'd love it if Scotland, if it became independent, were to adopt feet and inches again. Unlikely, but one can dream.

I actually prefer feet and inches to metric for some reason, I don't know why. Despite being educated in metric I can't visualise non-Imperial measurements properly.

Ahh okay, that makes a fair amount of sense. It's not an isolationist/autarchic kind of nationalism, just a "Fook off ya bleedin Saesanachs!" kind.  :P

Not quite. The Sassenaich are not the problem, the problem is the extremely powerful London-based elite that govern the UK and emburden us with their right wing agendas.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:14:15 am by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: April 23, 2014, 11:12:47 am »

* LordSlowpoke slaps th4dwarfy1 with a shovel

no imperial allowed within this cultural sphere thanks

I actually prefer feet and inches to metric for some reason, I don't know why. Despite being educated in metric I can't visualise Imperial measurements properly.

ARGH

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: April 23, 2014, 11:13:58 am »

Just take the opportunity to join the Glorious Cryptocurrency Master Race. ScotCoin (please translate into a ridiculously archaic dialect of Gaelic), coming January 2015.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: April 23, 2014, 11:14:39 am »

feet and inches
Oy vey oy vey oy vey... Why would anyone in their right mind want that? The Brits and Murricans at least have the fig leaf of transitioning being hard, but friggin' reintroducing it?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 1393