Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752391 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4590 on: April 06, 2014, 03:40:03 pm »

We could use a good ol' independence war, what with this Crimea thing stalled.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4591 on: April 06, 2014, 04:10:58 pm »

We could use a good ol' independence war, what with this Crimea thing stalled.
France pls go

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: April 06, 2014, 04:20:47 pm »

Mostly deep sea reserves though, and Britain has a plan for keeping them. See, there're several tiny islands of the coast that prefer to be part of the UK. If Scotland secedes, they organize a vote to have those small islands remain in the kingdom, and then they get to keep the surrounding oil and gas fields.

This isn't a real plan though. It's a rumour encouraged by the Unionists to scare us into voting No. As Dutchling says the reserves will go to the mainland and according to the last census 60% of Northern Islanders (Orcadians and Shetlanders) consider themselves "only Scottish", not Scottish and British. A greater percentage than in Edinburgh or Aberdeen.

This British Crimea scenario is an old tactic though. The Brits were champions in divide and rule. That's why Northern Ireland exists.
Just saw this. Northern Ireland wasn't really "Divide and rule." It was more a "massacre and rule." An utter disgrace. I think it was Oliver Cromwell who said "To hell or Connacht?" Indicating the catholics could go to hell or a small area of Ireland that wasn't very good for farming.
Of course, that was generations ago. After that, Northern Ireland exists because it voted in.

Why exactly do you want independence? Is it because of the government? Because I completely agree on that front. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, Brown was a "One eyed bastard," in the words of my father, Cameron is a "Slimy git". I have to say I agree on both fronts, really. But, governments change as society changes, so let's hope the infantile world we live in moves on from its poor political choices. What I wouldn't give for another Churchill, or (More controversially) Iron Lady.

Got to dislike politicians, really. I blame the times. Well, good luck to you if you can make a better government. Personally, unionism has been bred into me. While I have escaped the vice of religion, the spirit of patriotism is too deeply ingrained to do much about, nor would I want to. Of course, without the union Northern Ireland would rather fall apart, so I suppose that's why it's more necessary here.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:25:44 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: April 06, 2014, 04:22:48 pm »

Well, why do you think Scotland should stay within the UK?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: April 06, 2014, 04:23:59 pm »

France pls go

I'm often torn between looking forward to us being France's closest ally again and wanting to carve them up into their juicy national components; Brittany,  Occitania, Northern Basque Country etc. So juicy.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: April 06, 2014, 04:25:25 pm »

I want to make a comic in the style of Scandinavia and the World, where Owlbread is a serial killer that rip countries apart.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: April 06, 2014, 04:27:14 pm »

France pls go

I'm often torn between looking forward to us being France's closest ally again and wanting to carve them up into their juicy national components; Brittany,  Occitania, Northern Basque Country etc. So juicy.
What's your position on Alsace-Lorraine? :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: April 06, 2014, 04:30:56 pm »

Rip it apart! So juicy and tasty....

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: April 06, 2014, 04:33:21 pm »

I just don't think it would be good for Scotland, really. They get trade from the U.K., and I don't know but I'd assume they'd need to reapply for the E.U. It could have a bad start in that regard. "United we stand" type thing. And wouldn't Scotland become a small political country with little sway in the E.U.?

I don't really know much about this, really. I'm not politically inclined, except in more local circles. Also, how would the legal system fare? This is genuine curiosity as I know the Scottish would sort it out, but would it have the same legal system or complete reform?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: April 06, 2014, 04:34:46 pm »

France pls go

Relevant music to go with this discussion.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: April 06, 2014, 04:35:11 pm »

I'm ashamed to say I don't know enough about that region to comment properly. I never quite know whether there was once an Alsace and a Lorraine and the entire thing is an Imperial construct (then the ripping would commence) or if it's always been one cultural area. I shall do more research once I get home from unoccupied Ireland (posting from phone hence spelling mistakes and lack of eloquence).

I lean towards independence for that region anyway - no joining Germany under my watch I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:37:07 pm by Owlbread »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: April 06, 2014, 04:38:39 pm »

Oh come on. "Unoccupied Ireland?" It was democratic. Occupation, yes. Then---huzzah, freedom! We got to choose. It isn't occupation if it is based off a political system, for example majority vote.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: April 06, 2014, 04:55:49 pm »

I think most of the Yes impetus is a matter of choice, by the way. Sure, the current government is shit, and maybe it'll get better? But Scotland has so little choice in the Westminster government (what with only 10% of the English population, and historically there being only one or two administrations that would have been a different party if Scotland hadn't been a part of the U.K.) that it's a roll of the dice as far as Scotland is concerned. Even worse, it's a roll of weighted dice, because the politics of Scotland (left-of-centre to left-wing) is different from the politics of England (right-of-centre) so the party that rules Westminster is more often than not, not what Scotland voted for.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: April 06, 2014, 05:03:14 pm »

Also, there is an argument to be made that smaller countries tends to be more successful than large one.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: April 06, 2014, 05:09:26 pm »

I think most of the Yes impetus is a matter of choice, by the way. Sure, the current government is shit, and maybe it'll get better? But Scotland has so little choice in the Westminster government (what with only 10% of the English population, and historically there being only one or two administrations that would have been a different party if Scotland hadn't been a part of the U.K.) that it's a roll of the dice as far as Scotland is concerned. Even worse, it's a roll of weighted dice, because the politics of Scotland (left-of-centre to left-wing) is different from the politics of England (right-of-centre) so the party that rules Westminster is more often than not, not what Scotland voted for.

Of course. I never said I was against choice. In fact, I said the opposite in the reply where I mentioned the Union and Confederates. I was really just giving my view. I don't know enough of politics to hold up my side of the argument, and at the end of the day what will happen, will happen. I can see benefits to an independent Scotland. I can also see drawbacks, as I'm sure even Owlbread will admit there are, though those drawbacks may be outweighed by positives. Really, I'm just interested to see what happens. Wonder if it might shake government in to a new lease of life, though I doubt it. I'm all for independence if that's what Scotland wants. I just don't like the idea, given where I was born.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 1393