Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752129 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4425 on: March 24, 2014, 02:12:28 pm »

Persecution complex ... Check.

Just joking, of course.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: March 24, 2014, 02:22:07 pm »

Haha, you're alright. I don't usually jump to conclusions, and I am very sorry. It's been a long day (A monday, no less) and I really only have the will power to stay out of bed and make a pitiful stab at revision.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: March 24, 2014, 02:30:14 pm »

Some (Not all, but a lot that i have met) religious jews think that you, being non-jewish, does not possess a soul. some have twisted it into saying that non-jewish do have souls, but lesser souls. this might not be an "official" stance, but its popular enough that i stumbled into it more than occasionally.

And judaism is mostly non-missionary precisely because religious jews think themselves better than non-jewish.

As for this:

You forgot Northern Ireland.

Just read through the rest. I have to say, I see no problem. I was brought up in that. Assembly has the Lord's Prayer, passage from the bible (Giving a good, morally strong message) and then go off happy as Larry.

Nothing is forced, except attendance to assembly. You don't want to say the Lord's Prayer, you don't. If a country wants to maintain their religious identity, it's up to them. It is a democracy, after all.

And you can't say "All of my WUT." Atheism is as viable as religion. There is no proof there isn't a God. Let people respect their God daily, but maintain the freedom of the individual.

I disagree. i think that its nigh impossible for most people to attain a "clean slate" and that their early education is a prominent factor in their set of believes and perspectives, even if sub conciously. those mandatory prayers are denying little kids the ability to decide for themselves because they see educational authorities that encourage and participate in those mass prayers. and while its very possible those actions resulted in ridiculing the religion with some of you who have probably been raised in a somewhat secular family, i think that they also helped capture others into their missionary nets.

If you are an agnostic and cant tell whether there is a god or not, why accept of a teaching that there is? why not encourage to ask the question, rather than encourage giving the answers?

Why allow reading only from the bible? how would you feel if your kids would be forced to go through a daily reading of dianetics?

And there is a world of difference between the question of god existence and religion, because you see, while i can't prove the existence or non-existence of god, i can prove the non-viability of the bible as a tool of understanding the world and living in it, and while gods might work in mysterious ways, religions works in a very power hungry, thought dominating, earthly manners.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: March 24, 2014, 02:49:08 pm »

Ahh, that explains it a bit. but you could ask for an entrance permit if you wanted to, right?
You could ask the local elders, yes. Some will tell you sure, others will be so happy that you care about the native history that they will give you a guided tour, a lot will take offense and tell you to go away.

I guess one of the lessons here is 'nothing reinforces an ideology like a persecution complex, even if you're the majority'.
Urge to sig quote... Rising...

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: March 24, 2014, 02:55:05 pm »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: March 24, 2014, 02:58:02 pm »

I have never come across that view; but it may well exist. Perhaps the Chinese would be a better example?

And I never said the prayers were mandatory. I said they were optional. You don't want to, you don't have to. Going to assembly is mandatory, but it's not in itself a religious thing. It's where they give announcements, congratulate sport winners, etc.

And why not allow reading from the Bible? I belong to a christian family. My sister in particular is disappointed by my choice, but respects my views. Since confirmation it has been my choice whether to go to church. It was before that too, but then my parents made me go to Sunday School- I didn't mind, nor do I now. The message from the Bible doesn't instill religion in them. It doesn't force feed them "God is real! Bow down before him! Repent!" It simply gives moral guidelines which seem relevant to me. Help your neighbour. Don't steal. That type of stuff. I don't agree with the view that there is a God, necessarily, but I agree with the right to express a view. That's what happens in assembly. I would be angry if an atheist were to stand up and refute the morality expressed. I would be fine if he backed it up.

There is little religious content. It makes no difference. It is the child's choice at the end of the day.

"Power hungry", perhaps. Sometimes negative? Definitely. But so is culture. Tell an American to stop swearing on a flag. Tell them to rip up their constitution. It is an integrated thing, and can't really be removed without more hurt than it causes. Some absolutes are good. I lean towards relativity, myself, but absolutism in the form of the Ten Commandments isn't bad, depending on the reader knowing there is some flexibility in the message. Also, we have Religious Education as a class; it teaches a "Believe what you want" attitude.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: March 24, 2014, 03:01:44 pm »

Isn't it oy vey?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: March 24, 2014, 03:02:24 pm »

There aren't that many people in that photo when you really look... Not sure what the event is, but a turnout of less than one hundred isn't really a socio-economic invasion... But then again that may have been your point.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: March 24, 2014, 03:07:13 pm »

Isn't it oy vey?
Unsure. Maybe you're right.
Any Jews in this thread to make it clear? Ah, nevermind.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: March 24, 2014, 03:09:57 pm »

Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: March 24, 2014, 03:33:52 pm »

Sigs

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4437 on: March 24, 2014, 03:38:50 pm »

Oy gevalt!

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sigs

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: March 24, 2014, 03:46:47 pm »

I somehow picked up saying oy vey in the last few months.
Then my Jewish flatmate noticed.

I still do it. She likes it~
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1393