Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751567 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4170 on: February 28, 2014, 04:07:00 am »

Actually, we should move this to the Ukraine thread.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: February 28, 2014, 04:16:31 am »

They talk just like Russians from Russia.
Well... Even native language speakers have varying accents depending on geography
That is true for any country that is big enough.

And yep I am confused why Guardian decided to move it here
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: February 28, 2014, 04:17:46 am »

My fault. Should have posted that link in the Ukraine thread.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: February 28, 2014, 07:00:17 am »

Yeah, you got had. Also, why the three years? Is it because you need to wait for the government to actually implement the constitutional change to be able to vote on it again?

Also, the fact is that Switzerland is more dependent on the EU than the other way around, and with the UK being restless, the last thing the EU want is letting Switzerland pick and choose its treaties. It would be a terrible precedent. Plus , Switzerland actually got a really, really nice deal right now (IIRC, the Swedish ambassador's comment during the negociation was "They raped us on the negotiating table". ) if the guillotine clause is invoked (and it'll be except if the Federal Council do something like fixing the quota for EU members at 20 millions people), you'll have to negotiate again, and you probably won't get as good a deal.

What im saying is, I dont see either side banging its drums too loudly. The usual political dick-waving sure, but im not worried about anything serious in the near future.

And about the 3 year thing, thats just a rough estimate from my side. Someone will gather enough people to put it up for vote again and then shoot it down.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: February 28, 2014, 07:08:30 am »

I wouldn't count of it. You already have suspended Erasmus and Horizon20. Not much, but worse could come when the quotas actually come into place. Switzerland ain't loved in the EU. Even if the treaty don't go away, the EU just gained a really good pressure point to use against banking secrecy for exemple.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: February 28, 2014, 08:20:08 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: February 28, 2014, 08:43:39 am »

Switzerland ain't loved in the EU.
The EU ain't loved in the EU
Meh, that'll clear itself out once people realize that the EU is used as a boogyman by their own politicians to push through disliked reforms.

I wouldn't count of it. You already have suspended Erasmus and Horizon20. Not much, but worse could come when the quotas actually come into place. Switzerland ain't loved in the EU. Even if the treaty don't go away, the EU just gained a really good pressure point to use against banking secrecy for exemple.
The Erasmus program wasn't suspended actually. It's participation with Switzerland was cancelled. But yeah, there'll be a strong reaction from the EU on this, just to set an example for the UK, and everyone else who thinks about messing with his treaties.

That depends on if Scotland is considered a new member or a successor-state to the U.K.. I don't believe any other state has been in this situation, the Yugoslavia was not a member when it fell apart, correct?
It is still not a member; parts of it anyway. They all share successor state status, but the status of EU membership or negotiations is variable between the countries.
So far, it strongly appears that Scotland will not be granted automatic membership. I mean, Spain is probably going to protest, and the rest of Europe has significant benefit with forcing a renegotiation. After all, that'll allow them to get rid of theUK-era benefits.

Anyway, Eurozone membership for new EU countries might be required, but it's a mid to long term objective. So while you technically have to join the euro as soon as you're able, there's no real pressure. After all, one of the requirements is 2 year membership of the ERM, which is voluntary.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: February 28, 2014, 10:46:35 am »

-snip-
I'm not sure if the actual strategy, calling the whole thing a bluff, is that good. The reaction however is interesting, I would have thought people would be more easily scared, but it may have backfired a bit.
I'm not an economist, but the currency prospects are quite shaky. Plan B is definitely not sustainable for long (at least not for a country of that size) and is going to hurt the economy, hoping that the whole thing is just a bluff is very risky and a third possibilty, the Euro, depends on many other things that aren't clear yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: February 28, 2014, 11:50:58 am »

I don't know, why would B be so damaging? Sure, it sucks not to control your monetary policy, but neither do individual EU members, and unlike Zimbabwe and the dollar or all those French-speaking African country and the CFA frank, Scotland's economy is at the same level of development than the rUK's, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Also they can just have their own Scottish pound if they want to.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: February 28, 2014, 11:55:45 am »

Thing is, either way they play it, the British pound will still be a de facto currency in Scotland: I find it difficult to believe that most high street stores will stop accepting the pound when they continue to do so a few miles south of the border.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: February 28, 2014, 12:01:21 pm »

You need more than that for a "de facto currency". Scots won't be paid in £, won't pay their taxes in £, won't do their shopping in £. Some shops might keep accepting £ for the tourist market, but that's it.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: February 28, 2014, 12:02:37 pm »

I don't know, why would B be so damaging? Sure, it sucks not to control your monetary policy, but neither do individual EU members, and unlike Zimbabwe and the dollar or all those French-speaking African country and the CFA frank, Scotland's economy is at the same level of development than the rUK's, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm not sure why a Scottish pound isn't discussed as an alternative, there is probably a reason for that.

Not controlling your monetary policy is bad indeed, and it's not the same thing as the Eurozone, because it would involve only the rUK and might possibly stand on weak legal ground. Generally something like that has only been pulled off by small countries as a temporary solution.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: February 28, 2014, 12:05:44 pm »

Owlbread cited Ireland for a time, which is about the size of Scotland methink.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: February 28, 2014, 12:07:14 pm »

I'm not sure why a Scottish pound isn't discussed as an alternative, there is probably a reason for that.

Not controlling your monetary policy is bad indeed, and it's not the same thing as the Eurozone, because it would involve only the rUK and might possibly stand on weak legal ground. Generally something like that has only been pulled off by small countries as a temporary solution.

Scotland is a small country. "The best wee country in the world" as they say...

I think that would be the best idea though, even if the rest of the UK disagree. Keeping the pound and phasing it out while a new currency is created would probably be best for both sides.

AFAIK, and that's pretty much nil, unless the UK impose legal restrictions on Scotland using the pound, they can't really do anything to stop them using it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: February 28, 2014, 12:11:02 pm »

And? Country far smaller than that have their own currencies. I understand why the SNP push the pound as currency (it wants to change as little as possible so as not to scare anyone), if Scotland is going to have a currency union it should be the Euro. Makes more sense.

Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 1393