Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751506 times)

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4110 on: February 17, 2014, 03:12:27 pm »

Rant incoming...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: February 17, 2014, 03:33:27 pm »

If the scots do manage to break away, what are the chances that the IRA pops back up?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: February 17, 2014, 03:37:48 pm »

Effectively zero. The strife that caused the IRA to become so powerful has been diverted into normal politics, there isn't the kind of buildup necessary to make them have a resurgence.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: February 17, 2014, 03:47:46 pm »

I sometimes wonder if people in the USA are aware that the Scotch-Irish are actually still around.

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: February 17, 2014, 03:52:20 pm »

I sometimes wonder if people in the USA are aware that the Scotch-Irish are actually still around.
That sounds like most british to me, although remarkably reserved with the word "Cunt" and "twat". That man must be a regular gentleman.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: February 17, 2014, 03:53:43 pm »

Based on my own limited experience with my genocidal kinsmen in Ulster they are actually very liberal with their usage of "cunt". Those examples of Ulster slang are very sanitised.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:57:52 pm by Owlbread »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: February 18, 2014, 06:09:46 am »

The idea of the Soviet nation as a conglomerate of formerly separate nations of the USSR isn't a unique one - many multinational empires (like the Roman and Byzantine Empires, for example) put the imperial national identity over the national identities of its residents and tried to unify its nationalities with various degrees of success.
In a sense, all national identities are this. A nation is the unification of territory under a banner of shared identity and, usually, an imposed national language: before there were countries like France or Germany or India, there were thousands of tiny kingdoms, fiefdoms, wilderness, warring tribes etc. all speaking in different tongues. We've got used to thinking in terms of contiguous nation states but for most of human history this wasn't the case.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: February 18, 2014, 08:50:40 am »

Exactly. What makes a German in the Rhine closer to a Bavarian or Baltic German, and further from a German-border Dutchman? History, not culture. They could behave exactly the same culturally as they do now and be different "nations" than they are now if history had gone differently far enough back.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: February 18, 2014, 09:35:25 am »

Exactly. What makes a German in the Rhine closer to a Bavarian or Baltic German, and further from a German-border Dutchman? History, not culture. They could behave exactly the same culturally as they do now and be different "nations" than they are now if history had gone differently far enough back.
The German in the Rhine is considerably more wet than the others.  :P
You're right though, a relatively recent example of this is Austria. Only a very small minority of Austrians today would consider themselves German, but that used to be different before the World Wars. Austria might very vell have ended up part of Germany (or technically speaking more likely the other way round), but didn't and has since formed it's own national (as opposed to regional) identity, while the other German states grew together into one nation.

The idea of the Soviet nation as a conglomerate of formerly separate nations of the USSR isn't a unique one - many multinational empires (like the Roman and Byzantine Empires, for example) put the imperial national identity over the national identities of its residents and tried to unify its nationalities with various degrees of success.
In a sense, all national identities are this. A nation is the unification of territory under a banner of shared identity and, usually, an imposed national language: before there were countries like France or Germany or India, there were thousands of tiny kingdoms, fiefdoms, wilderness, warring tribes etc. all speaking in different tongues. We've got used to thinking in terms of contiguous nation states but for most of human history this wasn't the case.
National identity in the modern sense is for the most part an invention of the early 19. century, as a reaction to the French Revolution. Since then most truly "multi-national" states have pretty much failed, most notably Austria-Hungary. Germany was much more culturally homogenous at that point than even France, which also was no longer as culturally diverse as it used to be. A unifying language seems to be the most important factor to me, any state that lacks something like that is pretty much bound to fail. That's even true for the New World countries, which are populated by immigrants, but all have a dominant culture/language. Trying to impose a common language on already formed national identities - as was the case with the Soviet Union - is also only going to re-enforce national sentiment.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: February 18, 2014, 09:37:52 am »

I don't think most people in the USA think of the Scotch-Irish as a recognized thing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: February 18, 2014, 10:02:44 am »

I don't think most people in the USA think of the Scotch-Irish as a recognized thing.

Surely though in Appalachia it's extremely common for people to describe themselves as "Scotch-Irish"? Or is the presumption that to be Scotch-Irish is to be half Scottish, half Irish?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:04:53 am by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: February 18, 2014, 10:09:10 am »

Anyway, the first consequences of the Swiss anti-immigration vote are starting to surface.

as much as i'd love to be shouting "IT BEGINS" somewhere around now, they are not particularly strong arming the swiss into signing what the eu wants just yet

Following the vote, the EU warned it would reassess its relations with Switzerland "as a whole".

just yet

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: February 18, 2014, 10:13:25 am »

Wait. The EU is doing something...

Does the EU know o.O?

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: February 18, 2014, 12:09:42 pm »

Wait. The EU is doing something...

Does the EU know o.O?
I doubt it. If they did they would have done something about it.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 1393