Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750513 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3735 on: February 06, 2014, 02:52:22 am »

I love the last sentence here.

Oikeusministeriön alainen Oikeuspoliittinen tutkimuslaitos julkaisi 12.12.2012 tutkimuksen (Nuorten rikoskäyttäytyminen ja uhrikokemukset 2012), jonka mukaan 79 prosenttia 15-16 vuotiaista nuorista on ladannut laitonta tekijänoikeuden alaista sisältöä verkosta. 71 prosenttia vastaajista ilmoitti ladanneensa laitonta sisältöä edellisen 12 kuukauden aikana. Tutkimustuloksia ei vielä ole siitä, mitä seuraa, jos kokonainen ikäluokka leimataan rikollisiksi.

Loosely translated; according to research, 79% of 15-16 year-olds have illegally downloaded something, 71% during the last year. There are not yet any results on what would happen if an entire age group was declared criminals.

It's a bit vague on what the law would actually mean for the average person, but there were other bits like making use of materials in teaching and research easier and such that I doubt anyone has a problem with. It also seems to decrease fines and punishment and yeah, what da_nang said. You get the sense here the police/justice department is fed up with having to put resources into really petty copyright crime.

I like that they mention 'chisugate', where the cops basically confiscated a 9-year-old's Hello Kitty laptop. That sure wasn't good press.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:56:06 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: February 06, 2014, 05:44:56 am »

What language is that? Those words are all way too long o.o

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: February 06, 2014, 06:19:13 am »

Look like a monkey smashed a keyboard? Plus they had a shortage of everything but k and a? That's finnish for ye.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: February 06, 2014, 06:40:19 am »

Looks Finnish to me
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: February 06, 2014, 06:43:49 am »

This is the best article on the Scottish independence referendum I have read. If you need one good article to read to inform yourself of this issue, read that.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: February 06, 2014, 06:44:09 am »

So any of you got though about the TTIP?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: February 06, 2014, 06:49:35 am »

I try to use the term 'libertarian' for free market economics, and 'progressive' for somebody that likes stuff like gay marriage and what not, if that helps clear things up.

What if someone is both? Or neither? You use both (i.e. libertarian progressive, in this case)?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: February 06, 2014, 06:58:15 am »

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:06:56 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: February 06, 2014, 07:14:04 am »

Painting the grass has a long and proud tradition in the former Second World.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: February 06, 2014, 07:21:43 am »

This is the best article on the Scottish independence referendum I have read. If you need one good article to read to inform yourself of this issue, read that.

Really good, if a bit long (it's more an essay than an article). The point that if Scotland stay within the UK it might very well get dragged out of the EU by the British referendum is a good one.

I don't know if it's a side-effect of repeated exposure to Owlbread, but I am now a Scottish Nationalist, if not Scottish. You may not have my vote, but you definitely have my support. I pledge to get stone drunk on the finest Scottish whiskey if the YES wins.

P.S. Actually, I've got one more question. Since the EU elections will take place a mere 4 months before the referendum, what impact do you think the former will have on the latter?  I guess a strong showing by the UKIP or BNP would be favorable to the cause of YES, while a Labour surge would not. Also, Scotland is actually its own constituency for the European Parliament, so I wonder what would happen to those MEP in case of a split.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:34:23 am by Sheb »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: February 06, 2014, 07:53:29 am »

When the debate is clearly framed in front of you as it really is, it's quite hard to stay Unionist or see appeal in that cause. Though there are and will be flaws in our arguments none of them are catastrophic enough to change minds that haven't been changed already. It's not even the issue itself; Scotland regaining sovereignty, it's possibility and hope against negativity and the old elites.

P.S. Actually, I've got one more question. Since the EU elections will take place a mere 4 months before the referendum, what impact do you think the former will have on the latter?  I guess a strong showing by the UKIP or BNP would be favorable to the cause of YES, while a Labour surge would not. Also, Scotland is actually its own constituency for the European Parliament, so I wonder what would happen to those MEP in case of a split.

You have asked two good questions, both of which are the talk of the commentariat. I have the same thoughts as you on the issue though I predict a decent showing for SNP support in Scotland. In the event of independence we would undoubtedly form more European constituencies and gain more influence.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:58:04 am by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: February 06, 2014, 08:39:01 am »

Actually, wether you create more constituencies or not wouldn't give you more influence. What would give you more influence is the fast that A) MEP from Scotland would feel Scottish rather than British (focusing more on your needs) and B) that small countries in the EU are overrepresented. You currently have 6 MEPs. I don't want to actually compute how many MEP you'd get after independence, but Finland got about the same population as Scotland and has 13 MEPs.

Edit: Also, I demand you change your avatar to this:

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 09:55:49 am by Sheb »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: February 06, 2014, 09:48:49 am »

Owlbread is secretly the minister of propaganda of the New Scottish Empire. And he's doing a damned good job.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: February 06, 2014, 10:24:31 am »

I contemplated reading that essay, but it was too long :v

Spoiler: tl;dr (click to show/hide)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:44 am »

I am curious. How close is this to the real situation in Sweden? I know that nationalists tend to exaggerate things...
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 1393